“Won't be returning” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Venu
Dublin, Ireland (South City Centre)
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,415 of 1,889 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Dublin
“Won't be returning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

The set up of this restaurant is nice i.e. cocktail type bar at the entrance and the restaurant set up to the rear. It's over a year ago since I visited however I wasn't impressed with the service primarily - the food was fine, nothing particularly memorable but it was the service which makes me only score this as average. The starter was barely removed from our table when the main course was delivered - mind you only one of the main courses arrived to the table for two, the other one arrived about 5 minutes later. Again same with the desert the second which had to be returned as it was cold so you can see why I won't be returning.

Ireland
“Quite Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Had a dinner at Venu with work colleagues over Christmas. I had never been & never heard of the place before, so I had not real expectations. I assumed it would be the usual "Christmas" service (churn out the food & turn the tables quickly), but I was wrong. The staff were very attentive & the food was fantastic, there was no pressure to move us on after we had had desert & the meal itself was very reasonable. They do great cocktails in the bar. Venu is worth a visit.

• Visited December 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Europe
“Too expensive for what it is - good cocktail barm the rest is average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

The cocktail bar is good if expensive. The Venue can be tricky to find as it is downstairs off a lane way off another lane way off grafton street in Dublin, The setting is quite nice and the ambeince not bad but it all feels a little pretentious. It's not got enough buzz to pull off the pretention unfortunately. That said it can take a large group of people and has good wines but i dont think i could recommend it to a friend visiting

• Visited December 2010
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Beautiful French Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I have eaten here on numerous occaisions on special occaisions over the last number of years. I tried the early bird menu here in february. It was a reduced menu from a choice point of view. But the dishes were all amazing.

I had foie gras starter, followed by barburay duck and creme brulee. The customer service was excellent and i washed down my dessert with one of their recommended cocktails.

It was a really enjoyable evening. In a very relaxing setting. the first time i ate here i found it strange that the restaurant is based in basement. But the decor is very nice and they have large mirrors around the room to give the impression that it is larger than it really is.

They have a very professional attitude to service and quality of food. They give a lovely selection of homemade breads like tomato, walnut etc. The staff are always extremely friendly as well. Five stars in my books every time. Well done and keep the good work up.

• Visited February 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“A bit of a let down.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

I'd been to Venu a few years back and loved it. But after my second visit, I won't be returning, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. While we knew the menu would be quite pricey, we expected top quality food and service to go along with it. The service was excellent, the food was not. My fianceé ordered the rib-eye steak. Not only was it an excuse for a steak, by the time she had cut the fat from the edges, there was barely more than 4 mouthfuls remaining. I ordered the pork belly which was delicious, but again, very little of it, and no side with it. Side salad consists solely of a few leaves, not much for the price. All in all, there are plenty of decent places to eat in Dublin, and this is not one of them. It's almost as if they are blissfully ignorant of the recession going on around them, and continue to charge exorbitant prices, for food that is low on quality and shockingly low on quantity.

• Visited February 2011