“Lovely Food but Poor Service and Unacceptable Wait” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Millstone Restaurant

Millstone Restaurant
39 Dame Street, Dublin Dublin 2, Ireland (South City Centre)
+353 1 679 9931
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #177 of 1,886 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely Food but Poor Service and Unacceptable Wait”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I visited with a group of friends in the beginning of October. As we were celebrating quite a big milestone, we were a group of 12 so we had prior reservation.
When we got to the restaurant, 11 of us were on time so we walked straight in only to find that our table wasn't ready yet. We were asked to wait however we were made feel that we came too early (not the case) and that it was almost a burden that we weren't late. We were finally seated after 15 minutes.
As one of the party was clearly running quite late, when we ordered we made it clear to the waiter that once they join us they will order separately as the person did not want to keep 11 of us waiting. We ordered around 8.30pm. The waiter was very efficient however I found him a little rude while taking our orders. After about an hour we still had no food on the table and 2 other groups who came after us had been served already so we felt we had to ask. We were told that the food is coming shortly however as one of the party was late, we had to take that into account. From this point on, we were made feel as if we were a burden so we felt uncomfortable asking a second time about our food.We weren't served until 10.30pm and as the restaurant closes at 11.30 it was made clear to us that we can't order deserts.
The food was delicious and everyone enjoyed their meal however the two hour wait was completely unjustifiable. The restaurant was busy and one of our party was quite late however that still does not justifying waiting 2 hours to be served. The attitude of the waiting staff made the situation worse.
Unfortunately as good as the food was, the thought of waiting as long next time means I won't be going back anytime soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hong Kong, China
“A lucky find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I walked in off the street with two friends, just trying to find somewhere to have a Sunday lunch with some Irish food. Overall I think we did pretty well here.

Once we were seated we had a chance to read through the menus (which are oddly inconsistent with the menu items on the signboard outside) and ordered a glass of red. The wine took a long time to arrive since they'd had to fetch it from the cellar (which was apparently a long way away) and it was suboptimally cold, although it warmed up quickly enough.

The menu was a set two/three course affair, and surprisingly good value for money.

To start with I had some portobello mushrooms with cheese and truffle oil, eccentrically served in a big metal spoon, which was fun but made them hard to eat. This was where the restaurant's other eccentricity became apparent: they serve nothing without garnishing it into oblivion. My starter was *covered* in foliage. I identified dill and parsley and I think chives as well, and perhaps some grass from the back lawn. Under all this, however, the mushrooms and cheese were really delicious.

They'd just run out of Irish stew, so I had pork medallions with colcannon, and the other two diners had the roasted lamb belly. All three dishes turned up looking like they needed mowing and moving all the green garnish out of the way took up the first minute or so. Again, it was worth it. The pork was tender, the colcannon was rich and tasty, and it was augmented by some delicious, clove-flavoured Irish black puddings. I heard happy things being said about the lamb as well.

For dessert, being well-fed, all three of us shared a single cheese-plate which was (you guessed it) covered in greenery. The cheeses were well-chosen and all Irish.

So it's a slightly strange restaurant, but not disagreeable, and definitely worth a visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“A Gluten free menu!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Chose this restaurant as they have a separate coeliac menu. My gluten free friend was thrilled to have her own menu, with a selection of things to choose from.
Lovely decor, lovely ambiance with an acoustic singer/guitarist. Service was friendly and efficient. Food was good, more gastro-pub style. Creme brulee was runny, but apple tart and apple crumble were good. Sauvignon blanc wine was terrible, very bitter and pricey at almost €6 a glass. Would recommend for the set menu if wanting ok food at ok prices.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“I always comes back :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I lived in Dublin for 2,5 years and used to go to Millstones twice a month. Whenever I hear people say they are going to Dublin, I always tell them to there. I especially love the Mussels s starter and the Beef with mashed potato for main and if there is place for dessert, please please please try the Profiteroles. They are to die for... I'm coming back to Dublin and Millstones soon :-)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Craigavon, United Kingdom
“Hot and cramped”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Dissapointed after reading some positive reviews
The heat in the restaurant was awful and, along with the cramped seating, made it an uncomfortable dining experience
The wine was fine and the starters were quite good
The rib eye steaks were a big let down, grey and a bit tough, not what i was expecting
We couldn't wait to get out and will not be returning.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere