“Loving it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Mere Zou

La Mere Zou
22 St. Stephen's Green, Dublin 02, Ireland (South City Centre)
01-661-66-69
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 1,804 restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: European, French, Vegetarian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: A few yards away from the Shelbourne, the Conrad and the Fitzwilliam hotel, La Mère Zou was opened in 1994 and specializes in Classic French Cuisine; we also offer a large selection of fish and seafood selected directly from the local fishmarket. At La Mère Zou you can relax in a warm, familial atmosphere while enjoying the very best in cuisine and service. Our unique decor and simple seasonal food have made us a byword for fine dining in the centre of Dublin.
“Loving it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We have been there twice and we just love it.. We always go for the early bird menu which is good value.. The food is delicious and the place is cosy, it's very nice and casual, not too posh. The creme brulee is the best I have ever eaten! The staff is very nice and look after you well, unfortunately we had to wait for our desserts for quite a long time last time which ruined the experience a little bit since I was late at the meeting I had after the dinner..
They are very busy so reservation is definitely recommended.

89% Recommend
  • Turkish first
“great food, nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

my tempura haddock was amazing, I liked my main however chicken wasn't really anything special.. lovely dessert as well.. we had an early bird so it was a good value overall.. staff was very polite.. place was half full and buzzing so you could not hear other people talking.. however i 'd say that if tables beside us were occupied that would be uncomfortable ..we will come back..

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“French Culinary Star still Shining in Dublin City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I cannot believe that it is now over a year since I first wrote about this iconic establishment. How times flies! Of course, living in Dublin I have been here quite a number of times in the intervening months. I dined here again yesterday and I am pleased to report (as the other reviewers for this restaurant have indicated) that the standards are still as high as ever and that nothing at all has changed. Long may this happiness continue!
The food is excellent, imaginative and always has a comforting Gallic feel to it. The wines are well chosen, always elegantly served at the perfect temperature and the servers knowledgeable on the subject. The staff are welcoming and are invariably pleasant and helpful. The set menus represent very good value for money, particularly at lunchtime. Don't forget however to look at the blackboards for even more choice.
One tip however, it is advisable to book your table before arriving as the place can get quite full unexpectedly, which is really no surprise given its central location and well-deserved reputation.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“A lovely experience !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I took two Canadian visitors to this restaurant last night.We had the early bird meal which was quite unusual and also very tasty.We found the staff who are mainly french to be so friendly and full of fun which made for a very enjoyable evening.I have visited this restaurant a lot of times over the years and always come away with a good feeling.Our visitors were also very impressed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ireland
“TRES BIEN!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

What a cosy and atmospheric little restaurant! It's in an excellent location, right on St. Stephen's Green, perfect for going out for drinks after the meal.

The staff were fluent in French and very welcoming and attentive. We chose from the early bird menu, 3 courses for 26euro which was good. I had the duck starters which I have to admit I didn't really like that much. The cod, chorizo and egg for main was delicious! As was the trio of icecream and sorbet for dessert.

The only downside was that the wine list was quite expensive, in our opinion. The house wine was around 27/8 euro. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant though.