“French without tears” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Mere Zou

La Mere Zou
22 St. Stephen's Green, Dublin 02, Ireland (South City Centre)
01-661-66-69
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #85 of 1,834 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: European, French, Vegetarian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: A few yards away from the Shelbourne, the Conrad and the Fitzwilliam hotel, La Mère Zou was opened in 1994 and specializes in Classic French Cuisine; we also offer a large selection of fish and seafood selected directly from the local fishmarket. At La Mère Zou you can relax in a warm, familial atmosphere while enjoying the very best in cuisine and service. Our unique decor and simple seasonal food have made us a byword for fine dining in the centre of Dublin.
Dubrovnik, Croatia
“French without tears”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is the best restaurant in Dublin, and has been a consistent success since I first visited it in 1994, when it opened. At that time, few Dublin restaurants were in the phone book, as it took over a year to get an entry, by which time they had closed down. Zou has been consistently good value for excellent French cooking (better than most provincial French restaurants) and is entirely French staffed, including waitresses. Service knocks spots off anything in the same square mile.

• Turkish first
Nottingham
“Pre Rugby Lunch - Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Excellent all round, reasonable wine, beautifully presented food, steaks melt in the mouth and fantastic service!

Will be back, many thanks!

“Always good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

One of my favourite places to eat in Dublin. The lunch and early bird menus are excellent value, and the wine of the month is also worth trying. It's also nice to be able to share a carafe of wine when you're not in the mood for a full bottle. It's far better value for money than other, more 'upmarket' places close by and is consistently excellent. I have never had a bad meal here and will remain a loyal customer.

“Simply the best......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is and absolutely fabulous restaurant with amazing staff and spectacular food. The food was fantastic, I had the poached egg, bacon, bread, cheese, and a fabulous sauce. Then pork belly, with gorgeous red cabbage, lastly the plum and marscaponé cheese, I will definitely go back. The best restaurant I have ever been to in Ireland. Epic experience. Hope you enjoy!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Never disappoints, a good choice for French food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten here a good few times over the years and have never been disappointed. The service is excellent - very attentive and pleasant French staff, and the atmosphere is very nice in the smallish front part of the restaurant.

The food was delicious. I had the smoked salmon starter, while my fiancé had the asparagus with poached egg yolks. We both had the neck of lamb with a side order of the broccoli. I found the mash and sauce with the lamb quite salty and overpowering, but there were no complaints from my other half who thoroughly enjoyed it. I was disappointed to see cheese and butter on the broccoli as I don't eat either and the waitress didn't mention this when she suggested that we get it. The lamb was also not as tender as we had expected, but then if was the neck, so I should have realised this. We both had a Syrah Grenache red wine, the name of which escapes me, but it was very good.

We were celebrating, so we had desserts as part of the 3-course early bird menu. I had the nutmeg creme brûlée, which was lovely and my fiancé had the strawberry cream-cheese filled donut which he really liked, although I wasn't crazy about it as it's not my sort of thing (I rarely eat desserts as I suffer afterwards due to food intolerances so it has to be worth it!!). Not a great herbal tea selection, but again that's specific to my very fussy requirements!!

I've always enjoyed the food, wine and ambiance of La Mere Zou and have no hesitation in recommending it.

• 4 of 5 stars Food