“Still as Brilliant as Ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Mere Zou

La Mere Zou
22 St. Stephen's Green, Dublin 02, Ireland (South City Centre)
01-661-66-69
Cuisines: French, European, Vegetarian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: A few yards away from the Shelbourne, the Conrad and the Fitzwilliam hotel, La Mère Zou was opened in 1994 and specializes in Classic French Cuisine; we also offer a large selection of fish and seafood selected directly from the local fishmarket. At La Mère Zou you can relax in a warm, familial atmosphere while enjoying the very best in cuisine and service. Our unique decor and simple seasonal food have made us a byword for fine dining in the centre of Dublin.
Dublin, Ireland
“Still as Brilliant as Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

La Mere Zou.

My wife and I paid a visit recently to our most favourite restaurant in Ireland and we go there as often as we can afford. We are always warmly welcomed by the staff and the food and wine are really superb. This is a seriously professional operation with never ever a hint of disappointment.

During the week leading up to Patrick’s Day we arrived at 2:15 for lunch and the place was buzzing. There had been a recent change of menu and this was a chance for us to try something different. My wife went for her customary steak which was juicy and as tender as it could possibly be, beautifully served and plenty to eat without overcrowding the plate. I had two items that I had not tried before and I was not to be disappointed. For a starter I had the Ouef en Meurette (which is a soft-yoked egg poached in red wine and served on toasted croutons with caramelised onions, bacon lardons & jus). It was very delicate and a very good lead in to what was to follow which was braised Brittany rabbit with root vegetables served in a cast iron Le Creuset type container. I am always circumspect about rabbit as I often find it can be somewhat on the tough side: not this animal however. The dish was melt-in-the-mouth delicious and I will probably go back next week again to confirm my opinion. It was served with a side dish of creamed potatoes which was a prime example of how creamed potatoes should be done. The meal was washed down with a very good quality Juliénas, our favourite wine from the Beaujolais district of France. It was fruity and in absolutely perfect condition and went down far too easily indeed.

The desert was a real tour-de-force with chargrilled slices of fresh mango fruit accompanied by chilli, lime and sea salt, sorbet and coconut mousse. It was a very imaginative combination of flavours and one I shall remember for a long time to come. We will definitely be back next week for more!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“First time there and impressed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Had seen and passed this restaurant lots of times but only tried it lately.
Very impressed. Very good staff and the food was really great.
Was busy too. Will definitely go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cork, Ireland
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was looking around Stephens Green on Street View and found myself wandering in to La Mere Zou! I thought that the subsequent lunch here was fantastic. Everything was beautifully cooked and the service and prices sealed a first class experience. Looking forward to my next visit.

Visited January 2013
Ireland
“Just as good second time around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was very impressed with this restaurant on my first visit for a pre theatre supper last year. This time I availed of the Irish Times offer for lunch and took my daughter who is in the hospitality business. I can only highly recommend the restaurant, the food is excellent and beautifully presented. Service very efficient and pleasant. Look forward to my next visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Come to Momma”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This lunch was my first visit to La Mere Zou, tho’ the wife has been there before with “the girls”.

It’s a relatively small basement restaurant, but two large windows ensure that it’s not dark.

Our starters of citrus cured trout and slow-cooked veal breast, accompanied by some good crusty bread. We both opted for rib-eye steaks, dressed with balsamic & chorizo and accompanied by bok choy & a “mille feuille” style potato. Desserts were crème brulee & waffle with warm valrhona chocolate & ice-cream. We finished with 2 good coffees.

A 3-course lunch for €22 was great value. Everything we had was very good. Service was attentive and friendly. I’ll definitely be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere