“Great value worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tante Zoe's - CLOSED

Tante Zoe's
1 Crow Street, Dublin, Ireland (South City Centre)
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Dublin, Ireland
“Great value worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Here this evening on a voucher deal . 4 adults with 2 bottles of wine for €80 . Could not fault food and the surf and turf was excellent for mains ,would definitely visit again ,we'll worth a trip but try to get a deal on the groupon sites or similar sites to get your meal for half price.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dublin
“Bring back the old Tante Zoes !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our party of 8 arrived at 8 pm only to be told ALREADY that 3 of the items on the menu were sold out. Half way through the meal we were told the same about some of the desserts ! The waitresses were extremely unfriendly and treated us like 2nd class citizens 'cos we were using vouchers ! The blackened chicken was yellow, the southern fried chicken was 3 drumsticks that I've seen better quality in a snackbox from the local chippy ! At 11.pm, we still hadn't received our desserts, so we walked out....will deffo not be going back....a shame as it used to be great in the 80's/90's !!

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Total Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

For years I've wanted to go to Tante Zoe's (based on the buzz in the early 00's)and last night I finally got round to it. Utter disappointment. Starter was acceptable, two decent sized meatballs in a tomato sauce topped with melted cheese. Nothing special but ok. Friends eating calamari and gumbo said likewise. For the main course I ordered the Lou Lou Mae (sp?) Jambalaya. I was expecting it to be really flavoursome, but I might as well have thrown some carrots, pork and chicken in a pan myself. None of the spices I was expecting and absolutely zero chorizo (the main reason I ordered the dish, knowing you can't help but get flavour out of chorizo.) Very bland. Possibly worth €10, but not the €17 asked.
Dessert was Mississippi mud pie, which in the past has always been a mass of messy but delicious chocolate. What came out looked like a cheese cake, but was some sort of icecream pie. Bland vanilla, with a narrow biscuit base and some fake tasting chocolate parts. Others who got the Key lime pie couldn't believe how flat and small the slice was.
Service throughout the night was poor, mainly because we were a large party and only one server was assigned to us. This meant that food at one end of the table was cold(or eaten) before the other end got theirs.
4 bottles of beer came out to the group cold, the rest were room temperature, and with the poor beer selection (Heineken, Corona, Sol) this was pretty painful.

At the end of the night the til was apparently broken, so we waited at least an hour to get the bill, with no apology or explanation until we asked for the 3rd or 4th time. No manager came to our table to explain, leaving the waitress to get the flak, which I thought was poor form and we apologised when it became clear it was nothing to do with her.

Also, toilets were in a terrible state and obviously hadn't been looked at since at least the start of the day.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin
“Just not good enough”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Went here on a week day night so the restaurant was not too busy, despite this a number of orders were messed up, this also happened to the people sitting longside us. The food was only average, steak in particular was very poor was was definitely not the fillet steak it pre-ported to be. Waiting staff were nice/ friendly, but over all a fairly poor experience.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Not as bad as I was expecting!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had a deal voucher for this restaurant but having read a lot of reviews online, I was very wary as it seemed to be very inconsistent. But I went along recently and was pleasantly surprised. The staff were very welcoming and friendly, the restaurant was bright and spacious and the food was fairly good too. We had chicken wings and fishcakes to start and jambalaya and meatloaf for mains. These were all lovely. We ordered dessert and were left waiting quite a long time and when it did eventually arrive both desserts were covered in cinnamon. I dont know why a restaurant would go to the bother of having lots of different desserts and then covering them in cinnamon so thats all you can taste. I didn't finish my baileys cheesecake, there wasn't any point as I couldnt taste it. We had wine included in the deal and it was nice. Overall it was a decent meal and I would go back, but probably only if I had a deal and didn't have to pay the full price.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere