“finally writing about this jewel” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
saintfield
“finally writing about this jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

known about here for years - always meant to go there always had fab reviews had booked jennifer lopez ticket on mon -so decided to book derry and sallyann place -was booked in for 13.00 great service great food above all trout good manager darren will be back

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Kent
“Good food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Excellent choice of menu and good cooking and presentation, especially fish. Fair value for money. Restaurant setting a little unusual but comfortable. Only peanuts to nibble with champagne before dinner was disappointing!

Visited September 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

A long anticipated visit to this restaurant. We came to celebrate a special birthday and we were expecting a really fabulous meal with the very best of service. All I can say is that it was a big disappointment, overpriced and the meal was nothing of the quality that we expected. The exception were our desserts which were both delicious and beautifully presented. Our party of four were unanimous that we would not be returning again for an evening meal. A truly disappointing experience.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Always very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The food is always beautiful, great selection and catering to all tastes ... the adventurous and the not so adventurous!!
The service can be hit & Miss depending on how busy the place is.

Visited October 2011
Dublin
“A disappointing first visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I went to L’Ecrivain with my husband on Thursday night this week as I had been lucky enough to snap up a Menupages offer and having heard so much about the place was really looking forward to it. I have to say, my overall experience was disappointing. First though, the positives. The staff were wonderful, from the time we arrived to when we left they were attentive, friendly and very knowledgable. The restaurant itself was lovely, with a nice ambience and very pleasant décor. Now to the negatives. The price; I can’t understand why there are supplements on basic items, like Monkfish starter +€5, Foie Gras starter +€5, Beef taster main +€8, Turbot main +€10, and Cheese board +€8. Including the service charge of 12.5% these supplements alone added a whopping €40 to our bill. The wine at €45 per bottle was also a bit on the pricey side, but I suppose you expect that in a Michelin star restaurant. The food was decidedly average. My husband loved his Foie Gras starter and his beef main but the portion size of the main course was small considering the supplement paid. Both my starter of Monkfish and my main of Turbot were disappointing. The monkfish lacked any real flavor of its own and was overshadowed by a strong metallic seaweed thingy and 2 different foams. It was also overcooked and my husband commented on the fact that I had to use a heavy sawing motion with my knife to cut through it. The Turbot was slightly better (not so overcooked) but again lacked any real flavor of its own, being overshadowed by the accompaniments. Normally we wouldn’t have desert but we weren’t full and we decided to share a cheeseboard. This was adequate but nothing to write home about. There were 3 nice cheeses, half a dozen homemade savory biscuits and grapes (not seedless which was a bit annoying) but no quince, chutney or other accompaniment, which I would have expected. We didn’t bother with tea or coffee. Our bill including “discretionary” gratuity of 12.5% came to just over €226 which we both felt was extortionate. The menupages deal helped a lot and if it wasn’t for that we would have felt totally ripped off. Maybe I’m just not rich enough to eat here, but come to think of it, even if I was - I don’t think I’d bother.

• Visited September 2012