“Great find” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Boxty House

The Boxty House
20-21 Temple Bar, Dublin D2, Ireland (Formerly Gallagher's Boxty House)
+353 1 677 2762
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #82 of 1,883 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: Our restaurant has been at the beating heart of a dynamic, contemporary community for over 25 years. Our customers experience a genuine taste of modern Ireland, full of eclectic talking points and the warmth of that country kitchen down the west. Today, our restaurant caters for up to 2000 local and international customers a week. The relaxed, warm atmosphere provides a natural habitat for conversation to flow easily and to share stories. Come join us in the heart of Temple Bar, and discover what it means to be Irish. Totally Irish.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I tried to get into the Elephant and Castle restaurant next door, but the wait was 1 hour. So, I went in next door to the Boxty and had a wonderful Irish lamb stew. Service was great, the food was good, and there was plenty of seating at it's family style tables. I'm a bit surprised that this restaurant is not as swamped as the one next door - it deserves to be!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Dublin, Ireland
“Great food, great relaxed atmophere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Booked our table in advance, and would suggest to do this, as the queue was out the door when we arrived. Very relaxed atmosphere which was great. Food very nice and big portions. Reasonable cost aswell. Will definitely be back!!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Copenhagen, Denmark
“I used to love this place, but now it's disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This place was a must for me whenever in Dublin, but unfortunately the quality has diminished and it no longer has that delicious boxties I craved for.

I always ordered the Gaelic Boxty (steak), but the last time we visited the meat was extremely gristly and on top of that it wasn't cooked properly and the dish lacked flavor.

The service was average. I was disappointed that the waiter didn't seem to care that I was dissatisfied with my dish. I wasn't expecting the meal to be free or to get some type of special discount, but I would've appreciated some type of demonstration that they cared, which wasn't at all the case; once I told the waiter he only said (in passing) that "oh, ok, we'll let the kitchen know".

I'm so sad that I no longer have that delicious boxty place to visit in Dublin.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
BoxtyHouse, Owner at The Boxty House, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hi Luchy, Thank you for taking the time to review the Boxty House again. I am very disappointed you did not enjoy your return visit to our restaurant. Yes, sometimes it can happen that you get a bad meal but your waiter should have rectified the situation on the evening. Not only did you get bad food but you also got poor service. Not good enough and yes I would fall out of love with my favourite restaurant if they didn't respect me as their guest. So I really would like for you to visit again. Could you please contact me pog@boxtyhouse.ie as I would personally love to invite you and your guest back to our restaurant again. I look forward to hearing from you. Pádraic Óg Gallagher, Proprietor
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
“A Must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stumbled across the restaurant on a busy Saturday night. Passing people on their way out, commented on how excellent the food was. We were not disappointed. We sat in the window and was served by a prompt and efficient waiter. Following our starter our main course came, allowing us sufficient time to savour the food. The food was full of taste, the wine was first class, and the choice although not great was ideal, and was to the point. The choice covered everyone's taste, and was not too pricey for the location. It was certainly the best meal I have had in Dublin.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Wonderful meal for me and my sister, good atmosphere and helpful waiter,whose jokes made us smile despite the bad weather outside. Well done!