“Really intriguing!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, French, Irish, Contemporary
Oslo, Norway
“Really intriguing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We picked Chapter One with the help of the Michelin Guide and weren't disappointed at all. On the contrary, both service and dinner were excellent. We we warmheartedly welcomed and felt at home from the beginning to the end. At Chapter One they do know what a Michelin-starred restaurant is about and obviously they're not resting on their laurels. Especially the warm and friendly service at this restaurant made us fall in love with Ireland and the Irish. We're coming back!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Waterford, Waterford, Ireland
“What a treat for foodies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our meal was Sooo good and special.salad of salted cherries was so fresh. Poached smoked haddock to follow. Smoked loin of pork was succulent and warm chocolate mousse was to die for.
All served with Penfold wines specially selected. We were expertly served by wonderful staff.
Well worth getting a booking . You may have to be patient as always busy.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Good place for a dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This restaurant is located at the top of O'Connell street away from Dublin "Centre" though it is only 20 minutes walk from the Trinity College. I chose it for a reasonable (for Michelin starred restaurant) price for pre-theatre dinner (EUR 36.50 per person) which they serve from the moment they open (5:30pm) until 7:40pm.

When we arrived we were promptly ushered to our table, menus were produced and drinks order was taken. I had smoked salmon with crab meat, Cushion of veal and the Raspberries with merengue, sorbet and panacotta for the desert.
What can I say - quality food very well presented, on par with other one star restaurants. The highlight of the dinner was actually a dessert which was fantastic. Salmon starter was very good. Veal was cooked like a steak, was at the dry side of the range and was quite bland - hence rating one notch below excellent.
Service was expedient and we were done in about an hour.

They have quite nice service for people having reservations to the nearby theatre - during the dinner they collect reservations, go to box office to get tickets and bring them back to the table - nice gesture.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dublin
“This place is very special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Set in an unlikely part of Dublin for such a quality restaurant, Chapter One is really something special and well worth the trip across the Liffey.

I was there with a group of customers for a business dinner recently - my first time - and found the experience to be first class. I was the last of my group to enter the restaurant, and as I did I heard a booming voice welcome everyone. It was rather like the welcome from a character at a theme park greeting a group of eager children. The co-owner Martin Corbett is your guide for the evening and leaves you in no doubt that you can leave your worries at the door, for you are in very good hands.

Every item on the menu is explained and recommendations made, and while the menu is straight forward to understand, our group hung on Martin's every descriptive word. He told stories about the building, once the home of the Jameson family, the ballroom of romance next door and the writer's museum above us. He also took some time to explain to me the painting of the Queen of England's visit to Ireland which hangs on the wall. Chapter One were the 'caterers' for that state meal.

It goes without saying that the food and service are impeccable, the staff are knowledgeable and friendly and attention to detail is just what it should be in a fine restaurant.

For a business dinner, costs were at least comparable with other high end restaurants and I felt we got good value for money.

I would highly recommend Chapter One. It's a special place, with great food. But perhaps because of Martin, it's a great experience too.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Elegant mindreaders and impressive food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We came to Chapter One during our honeymoon on a baking hot summer day, somewhat underdressed for the occasion after a day of shopping in the city centre and were welcomed with open arms.

From beginning till end, we felt like royalty in the way we were treated, and we marvelled at the professionality and finesse with which every detail was conducted. In fact, we likened the waiters to elegant dancers as they smoothly met our every need even before we realised it was there. They also did so with a smile on their face, and as a well-oiled machinery, every team member seemed to get on well with the rest of the team.

I came with an allergy, which I had told them about beforehand, and never have I met a more impressive staff in the way they would inform me, even before I asked, what was dairy and what wasn't. They accommodated my allergy needs beautifully, and rarely have I had the pleasure of feeling less of a bother at that.

The restaurant is a fine dining restaurant, so the prices are high. But as a treat, it's a wonderful place to go. The cook can make any dish wonderful and exciting, and I chose dishes I normally wouldn't and was pleasantly surprised every time.

Visited July 2013