“Totally changed since refurbishment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bad Ass Cafe

Bad Ass Cafe
9-11 Crown Alley, Temple Bar | Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland (South City Centre)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #815 of 1,883 Restaurants in Dublin
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: The Bad Ass Cafe was and remains a landmark establishment in Irish tradition and culture. We have recently undergone renovations to revitalize the popular premises. It has once again become a favourite of the masses in the heart of Temple Bar with everything from delicious food and drink to live music, Stand Up Comedy and entertainment in the form of our very own Bad Ass Donkey for children. So come on down and see for yourself!
wicklow
“Totally changed since refurbishment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited recently, and sadly, all the original fittings and fixtures have been removed including the old style, "flying cannisters" that sent the orders to the kitchen.
The refurbishment includes a restoration Bar Counter, and looks ok, however, those who visited the restaurant in the past are saddened by the makeover.
The menu is more formal, and although some of the old favourites are still there, the prices have increased, and the atmosphere in the restaurant has been lost.
We ordered Pizzas, and the House Fish and Chips which boasted a light tempura batter. The Pizzas were undercooked and had to be sent back to the kitchen, and the batter on the fish resembled something that would have been purchased from a local supermarket.
The staff were amazed at the fact that we complained about the pizzas, and after some debate, they eventually relented and agreed to cook them thoroughly.
When we went to pay the bill, we were not charged for the Pizzas, and the manager apologised for the inconvenience. It was, however, a bad experience, and we will not be returning in the future

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good food, Cool Atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We went with a group of friends on a weeknight. There wasn't very many people dining but I had no complaints about our service. Prices comparable to other restaurants in the area, with massive portions. I had the fish and chips which was huge and tasty. I swear my brother's clazone was the size of his head. The vibe was cool and it was also neat to know that this is the restaurant where Sinead O' Connor used to work as a waitress. I'd stop in again for sure.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great burger and Guinness. Can't complain.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Dropped in for a burger and Guinness. I can't complain, good food and a cold beer for under 20e. I'd go back again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great value food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Ate here on my own as part of a weekend away in Dublin. Although uninviting on the outside (and there was no menu out front but they have a great selection) inside its cool and the music is great. I took a booth read my book and had the nachos, which were amazing, sweet chilli and cheese topping. Then I had the mad matador burger with mozzarella pineapple gherkins and mole, a great combination of flavours and fudge cake for desert.

A nice chilled place to kill a Sunday afternoon or a Sunday hangover!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Friday Comedy Night Not Funny!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I had the misfortune of wasting a Friday night at the Bad A*s Cafe comedy night upstairs. It was a Grabone/Groupon-Citydeal voucher where you share a pizza before the comedy show. I brought a friend and her daughter but, I found myself apologising several times to them throughout the night for having to endure such an awful night out. They also travelled from far to meet me so I felt even worse about it!

Firstly, it was absolutely freezing cold upstairs, we had to sit with our jackets and scarves on. We asked if they could turn up the heating, or even switch it on for matter. The lady we asked said the heating was on but blamed the big windows (which were filthy). The area where you eat (I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was a restaurant) was dreadful, it felt more like a canteen. There was a huge industrial refrigerator & several tray trolleys in the "restaurant". The decor in general was dreadful, it felt more like a school hall (especially when the curtains were drawn for the comedy show).

We then had to wait 20-30 minutes to even be served a drink. We eventually went up to the bar to order as it didn't look like we were going to be served. The lady at the bar seemed only to be concerned about people blocking access to/from the bar, nevermind if the unfortunate customers had something to drink or were even enjoying themselves! The staff were very unprofessional & inexperienced. The one staff member became flustered when we went up to her to ask her if we could order etc. She seemed surprised that we had only waited 20-30 minutes and also seemed somewhat annoyed that we wanted to order! The entire evening felt very disorganised.

Then it was time for the comedy part of the evening to begin but - surprise, surprise - they didn’t even have enough seats for everyone in attendance. The comedians were so not funny, I was actually so embarrassed for them – completely cringe worthy! The MC couldn't quite get past the theme of which country everyone in the room was from. At one stage the audience was not even interacting with him (poor souls were also bored to death with him) but he couldn't take a hint and move off the subject. He also seemed to think that insulting people in the audience was funny which goes to show what desperate measures he was beginning to take to make the audience laugh. He thought his own jokes were hilarious - well at least someone was laughing! Then an American guy came on and was only marginally better than the MC but at this point (about 15 mins into comedy show) we walked out, we couldn't even wait for the interval. And the only thing that made us laugh was how pathetic the place was .....................

• Visited March 2013