“Good Food , Friendly and with Character” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 101 Talbot Street

101 Talbot Street
100-102 Talbot St, Dublin, Ireland (North City Centre)
01-874-50-11
Improve this listing
Ranked #235 of 1,813 restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Steakhouse, Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Neighborhood: North City Centre
Dublin, Ireland
“Good Food , Friendly and with Character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

101 Talbot is a Dublin institution. I don't recall exactly what year . I first visited , but it must be over 20 years ago. The food is always good, and sometimes very good.

The staff are always friendly and helpful. Also , there is nothing anodyne about them, you can see their individuality , they are not cookie-cutter servers, they all have strong personalities, and all treat you the customer like you are important.

The last time I visited it was with my wife and daughter, previously I would visit with friends, and many years ago in the impecunious early adult years my girlfriend(now wife) would have dined romantic evenings there.

The clientele of 101 are generally friendly and if you are a solo traveler/diner there is a good chance that you might be invited by others to join a table. (The etiquette is that no intrusive questions will be asked, and you can always decline)

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
  • Polish first
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stumbled across 101 Talbot on a weekend trip to Dublin. We were just out strolling looking for somewhere to eat and decided to try it. We could not fault it, food was delicious, nice wine, friendly helpful staff and a lovely table in the window. the atmosphere in there was fab, décor was lovely but blink and you might miss this place, there is just a staircase up to it. If we were in Dublin again we would definitely pay another visit

• Visited May 2013
Dublin
“Maybe we were just unlucky...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I'm not sure why but I've got a certain amount of affection for Talbot 101. I think it's something to do with it's steadfast refusal to bow to the current trend in Dublin, at this point in the market at least, for hipster orientated eateries. It could also be that it's situated in the distinctly grungy area of Talbot Street yet is still full to the rafters, at least any time I've been in. Sadly however a bit of that affection was lost last night when we ate there.

The restaurant seems to be going for a bit of a budget thing but at the same time serve up modern versions of straight forward, Mediterranean influenced food which is all good with me. The furnishing of the room would fall into the budget part of my description but for some reason, as long as it's busy, it works and creates quite a buzzing atmosphere mainly I think due to the circular, two tiered lay out.

The gentleman who greeted us was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful but the service over all was pretty poor. We went for the early bird which is reasonably good value at roughly €20 for two courses unless you make the mistake my wife did and order hummus and crudités to start which of course is a bowl of hummus and some carrots. But anyway that was her silly mistake, although I should point out she really liked the dish, I went for the bbq pork ribs which were pretty decent if not exceptional.

For our second course we both went for the chicken and unfortunately neither of us were too keen to be honest. I don't think there was anything intrinsically wrong with it as such we just, highly unusually for us, didn't like it. I reckon because of some smoked cheese in the dish overpowering everything. It was however well presented and the veg was well done.

This leads me to my main gripe. While I ate most of mine just because I had it and didn't want it to go to waste my wife left the vast majority of hers because she just disliked it too much. Now I know I know we should have been assertive and just asked for something else or at least commented but being too polite/cowardly we didn't but still, I would have expected the waitress taking the plates away to enquire as to why there was pretty much a whole chicken remaining. But no, she took them away without a word, waited about 10 mins then returned to ask if we wanted dessert. When we said we didn't she looked so miffed and downcast I almost just bought some to cheer her up but I was stuffed.

So we requested the bill and this is the bit that really irritated me. No it wasn't the price, it was the fact she went to three tables, took their orders, fecked off to the kitchen, came back and printed our bill, chatted to another waitress, another table before finally coming to us for payment.

So as I say, I'm glad this place is there and I'm glad it's doing well I just doubt I'll be back anytime soon.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Mt. Vernon, OH
“marvelous meal, perfect service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We were a group of ten for pre-theatre dinner and we arrived late for our booking. Nevertheless the excellent staff were able to serve us a delicious three-course dinner before we had to leave for the show. I don't think I've ever seen such expert, flawless service! And the food was fantastic--inventive, flavorful, and really satisfying, from starters to the famous chocolate tart. What a great experience!

• Visited April 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Fab restaurant with great food and atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Have been going to the 101 for years. Never disappoints. Great menu, which caters for everyone including vegetarians. Informal, relaxed atmosphere. Great place to celebrate birthdays, meet friends, pre-theatre etc.

• Visited March 2013