“Delicious, Not Snobby” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud

Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud
21 Merrion Street Upper, Dublin D2, Ireland (South City Centre)
(0) 1-676 4192
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Dublin, Ireland
“Delicious, Not Snobby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I love to eat and Guilbaud's was on my radar for a while but as part of my New Year's resolution to eat in all of the Irish Michelin starred restaurants this year I had to get there quick!

We went for the lunch menu, which really is great value. I mean, eating in a two-star restaurant for €50? It's pretty amazing.

Anyway, overall it was really lovely. Very easy-going about being a vegetarian. I was able to order off the a la carte menu for the fixed price and had a great walnut pasta. They even did a special amuse-bouche for us, which was great. I LOVED my basil-corn soup too. I would definitely spring for the three courses because the cheese board (ahem, trolley) is just amazing. You can choose any five cheese - lucky me got six - from France and Ireland. So great!

It's definitely the sort of place you go for a special occasion, but it's totally worth going to. I found it to be very welcoming and friendly as well. My only little complaint would be our table - it felt as though it was in a hallway and I would have liked a bit more natural light. But, no real complaints!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Johannesburg, South Africa
“A gastronomic feast of world class standards”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was an extended lunch for 10. Attentive service, but never fussy. Very professional but also with a touch of humour. They made us feel totally at ease, which a lot of 2 star Michelin's don't get right. This is some of the best food we have eaten anywhere in the world. My wife is a chef who has trained all over the world and she was totally blown away. Well done to the team, we will definitely be back.

Visited November 2012
Munster, Ireland
“Delighted with first visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Lunch for 3 was a real treat. Good choice available. Everything was super-tasty. Service was attentive and friendly. Expensive but worth it. I hope to go again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent the second time as well as the first.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Menu is borad enough to please any palate. The preparations are innovative, the presentations are delightful and the taste was spot on. This was our second time to eat at Patrick Guilbaud and we were quite pleased and will return when in Dublin next.

Visited November 2012
Genoa, Nevada
“time warp”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This restaurant represents an overly rigidly enforced version of classic French cuisine and service. The reservation date was off -- but that can happen. We sat in the ante-[bar]room with the menus, expecting to place our orders. After we asked a few questions, the menus were taken from us by the head waiter, and we were very puzzled. Then we were asked to be seated in the dining room -- not a very good table, but there was that reservation confusion after all. The food started coming -- fortunately only the amuse bouche. I said to the waiters [many waiters . . .] that we had not ordered yet -- much consternation. The head waiter came back and said that we had ordered the 3-course tasting menu. I said, no, we had wanted the 4-course a la carte menu but that we had not been asked for our order. We did get our wish, but the head waiter had by that point decided that we were American bumpkins, and we perceived "attitude." But the food, although beautiful, was so old-time classic in its approach that it was bland and, except for a would-have-been wonderful fish dish that seemed to have been salted twice, nothing stood out for flavor; nothing was "bright" and distinctive. The service was almost overwhelming and theatrical -- had two waiters repeatedly place covered plates in front of us, glance at each other, seem to count to three, and [voila!] removed the covers at the same time.

A plus--the wine list, which was spectacular. The young under-sommelier [Matthieu] was also spectacular -- knowledge and passion. We asked him to match wines with each course, and the wines turned out to be the real treat -- extraordinary.

All of this was more than $600 . . . [for 2 people].

• Visited October 2012