“Extremely disappointing - Poor Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars

Louis Fitzgerald Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Newlands Cross, Naas Road, Dublin 22, Ireland   |
Ranked #70 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Ottawa, Canada
“Extremely disappointing - Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Same comments as others regarding road construction but by chance managed to spot the hotel and manoeuvred through pylons. Our daughters' room was supposed to have 2 twin beds and did not so they asked for a different room. They were given a smoking room so asked for another room change - met with frustration by front desk. The third room was on the ground floor with broken window so called to let them know & someone came to their room and realized they couldn't fix the window so gave them a fourth room - disabled accessible so the shower did not have an effective closure resulting in water all over the bathroom floor. Moreover, the twin beds were more the size of cots than twins. Perhaps this is Europe. While trying to take things in stride, I mentioned it to the front desk manager the following morning. He was rude and aggressive saying I should have requested a non-smoking room and that they were busy and full. I told him it was the responsibility of the hotel to ask us (seeing as the original booking was mixed up). I asked him about breakfast and we had missed it by about 15 minutes so I asked where we could have a meal. He motioned to the adjacent restaurant. At this point, I'm sure he could read the displeasure on my face as I had not expected to be chastised for pointing out the inadequacies of our daughter's experience so he ran ahead and said he would ask the staff to prepare us breakfast. While we were appreciative, the kitchen staff (not the female server - she was good) met us with attitude such that it was clear we were putting them out even though other patrons were still eating breakfast and the cereal, coffee and fruit bars had not yet been cleared away. When we returned to our rooms very late that night, there were a couple of water bottles with chocolates, bathrobes and slippers, presumably left to make up for poor service although we were checking out the following morning. I'm afraid this was too late. The damage had been done with response and attitude earlier in the day. Had he simply acknowledged our concerns and said sorry on behalf of the hotel, or even offered free breakfast for our daughters' inconvenience, we would have left happy. Rooms are on par with 3 star hotels by North American standards and not worth the money. The walls are thin as we were there same time as several youth sports teams and could here them running up and down the halls. A very disappointing way to end our otherwise blissful 2+week vacation in Ireland.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
CustomerReply, General Manager at Louis Fitzgerald Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Valerie,
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am sorry to hear about that your recent stay with us was far from trouble free. Your rooms should have been allocated in accordance with the preference on your booking. The response received at Reception upon request of a room move for any reason I can assure you is not representative of the level of hospitality and service we pride ourselves on here in the Fitzgerald Group. Our twin beds here three foot singles as standard are as you noted are equal to an American Cot.
Our Restaurant serves Breakfast to 10.30 Weekends which we are extending to 11.00am weekends to accommodate the leisure guests.
While the rooms were VIP’s towards the end of your stay, we do acknowledge through your feedback some of the issues you encountered were avoidable had your room been preallocated.
I would like to discuss your concerns personally and I would be delighted if you could contact me on pkenny@louisfitzgeraldhotel.com
Thank you for highlighting concerns that we here as a team can review and try and rectify for future guests.
Yours sincerely,
Pat Kenny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband and I just checked into this hotel today, and I literally can't even make it through the first night without complaining. We just came from Limerick where we had a fabulous stay at Absolute Hotel. By the majority of the reviews and things I read about this hotel, it should have been equally as wonderful. Definitely not the case! Our room is WAY smaller than the picture made it appear--something we could deal with since we won't be in the room much anyway, but still not appreciated. There is no a/c--not sure if this is considered normal here, but our hotel in Limerick had both a/c and heat. The shower head is literally straight above the handles to turn on the bath, so you have to lean backward at an incredibly uncomfortable angle to try and rinse yourself. The icing on the cake, however, is the bed. We booked a standard room with a king bed--my husband is 6'5", so this is a necessity. When we laid down tonight after an enjoyable but very long day of sightseeing, we discovered that not only can you feel every spring in the mattress due to a severe lack of padding, but our bed is merely two twin beds pushed together, not a king. I would think that perhaps a king bed in Ireland is simply different than in the U.S., but we did not have this issue at the Absolute Hotel. I plan on speaking with the manager in the morning and sincerely hope we can resolve this issue, considering we have already prepaid and can't just pack up and head to a different hotel. I wanted to put my review on immediately, though, to warn anyone who is looking into this place right now.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rebecca A,

Thank you for your recent stay and review of the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel.

I am disappointed that you found the Hotel not adequate and as you noted this was a surprise considering the majority of our reviews are very positive.

Our rooms are within the 4 star classifications on size and are independently reviewed and graded.
We unfortunately don’t provide air conditioning in all rooms and with the night in question all air conditioning rooms were full, as was the hotel.
You do mention that you were going to speak to the manager; I was just wondering did you do this when you checked in or the following morning?
I would like to know if he had any solution to your concerns raised?

I note you haven’t mentioned any of our service areas as one area we seem to score very highly in is our service and staff.

Once again thank you for highlighting concerns that we here as a team can review and try and rectify for future guests

Yours truly,
Pat Kenny
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed at this property for six nights in April. The hotel itself was slightly confusing to find as there are roadworks just outside and it did not help with the rush hour traffic queues.
However, on arrival, a quick check in ensured that this was going to be a comfy stay. The rooms are a good size, with nice beds and chairs to sit around.
House keeping is fast and efficient, the food at next door Joel's is palatable enough. I did not get a chance to eat in the hotel itself due to early starts and late evenings during business hours but I am pretty sure it must be good considering the number of people in their restaurant.
The car parking is ample and covered (and complimentary).
Staff is polite, helpful and will make your stay a complete delight.
I would stay here again and would recommend it to anyone who has access to a car and needs to stay in a clean place just outside the city.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mullingar, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I have stayed here a few times and each time they get it spot on. Went to Punchestown races on Friday 2nd May booked a very good deal with the hotel, B&B, bus to and from the races and evening dinner.
We booked dinner for 9 oc but did not get back to the hotel until 10 oc due to a major water leak on he main N7.Fair play to the hotel, the staff meet us off the bus and told us that dinner was being served late to accommodate race goers. Well done to all concerned. The staff in this hotel in all departments are some of the best I have come across in my travels, 10/10. Music that night in the bar was excellent like the food and bedroom. If you need to stay in this area of Dublin here is a must.
Frank C

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Longford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We attended a wedding on 25th April. I have nothing but good things to say about the hotel. From check-in to check out the experience was fantasic & I know from speaking to others in the wedding party that they all felt the same.
The room was spotless, the bed was comfy & the facilities in the room were great. We had lunch at the bar, Again, the service was efficient and friendly and the food was lovely and value for money.
At the wedding, again nothing but good things to say. The room, the food, fantastic. After a great (late) night we awoke to a great breakfast.
The price we paid for what we got was unbelievable.
I was a bit skeptical of other reviews I read as they seemed to be to good to be true but the hotel lived up to them all.
Finally, what really makes this place is the staff. From beginning to end every one of them I came into contact with were friendly, helpful and genuinely seem to enjoy working in the hotel. It is them that elevate the hotel to a different level that separates this hotel from others.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I love this hotel. It is ideal if you aren't wanting to have a relaxing weekend without constantly being in the hustle and bustle of Dublin city centre but is only a short walk away from the tram service that takes you into city centre.
My aunt and uncle live in Dublin and had their wedding here. It was amazing and the staff looked after us all weekend even though they had other functions on. I personally wouldn't stay anywhere else. Definitely worth every penny.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Currently staying in this hotel. It's advertised as a 4 star which is quite unbelievable.

The room I booked was a deluxe double and when I got to the room I thought that there had been a mistake so I rang to check and make sure they had given me a deluxe double and I was then informed that ALL their rooms are deluxe!!! I think they have mixed up the meaning of deluxe with just about standard.

And one major issue is that the "deluxe double bed" is two beds if different heights pushed together, there ul is a drop down from 1 bed to the other in the middle.

Food is also poor and the service in the restaurant is practically non existent. And the front desk doesn't answer the phone as I wanted to ask if this was the sane in every room.

I complained as our starter came out at the same time as our main and the quality if the food was poor but the lady who cleared out plates was very good and noticed there were issues straight away and the manager did give us some money off but unfortunately the food has left me feeling sick.

We stayed in the beacon hotel last month which is also a 4 star but the difference is that the beacon is actually a genuine 4 star, the rating for the Louis Fitzgerald needs to be changed.

• Stayed April 2014

Been to Louis Fitzgerald Hotel? Share your experiences!