“top notch all around” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Newlands Cross, Naas Road, Dublin 22, Ireland   |
Ranked #72 of 177 hotels in Dublin
“top notch all around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

my stay at this hotel was very good, its was relaxing and I found all the the staff to be excellent and very proffesional, overall it was a lovely stay. There is a lovely restaurant next door named Joels, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice meal

535 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed in the Louis Fitzgerald,Dublin, last Saturday night as we were up for our daughter's basketball tournament. A lovely friendly hotel with very helpful staff, (All the GAA ladies were swooning over Jason Sherlock) We had a bright ,clean, comfortable room. The evening Bar food menu was excellent and the breakfast was top class.Nice & quiet despite being near a dual/way
Overall, a great experience. Would def. stay again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Got a great deal for me and my two kids who loved the hotel from the start. Very welcoming receptionist who was training didnt catch her name but she was a blond girl. We had plan.s for the night so we didnt opt in for dinner. We went for breakfast the next morning and some parts of it was a let down. The young man i didnt catch him name was very polite and welcoming but the young girl denise i think just didnt want to be there of a saturday morning. Everything just looked to be a bother for her and when we asked her for some drinks that had ran out she turned her head and said something which i had to ask again what she said her reply was "yea give us a minute ill get someone to do it" still with her head turned. Some of the hot breakfast was a little cold but still very nice and plenty to choose from . Happy kids means we will be very much back to visit. Great staff management should be proud.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband was attending a 5 day course which was taking place in this hotel so it made sense to stay here. I filled my days with visiting some of the surrounding areas to shop while he attended his course and at night we ventured mostly into Dublin to eat in various restaurants. The tram station is a nice ten minute walk away or you can get a taxi right outside the hotel. Apparently theres a shuttle bus too but it was nice for us to walk as the weather was dry. The hotel itself is very nice, modern, clean, with nice food and exceptionally pleasant and helpful staff- maids are so polite and helpful, the bar and kitchen staff lovely and everyone on reception is fantastic, nothing is too much trouble for them and i am pleased to be returning in a few weeks time. I would definately recommend anyone to stay here. You would need to be really hard to please if you can find any fault here. It's ideal.

Laois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed for a wedding. The staff were friendly and efficent. Rooms comfie and modern also first time I ever saw a good hairdryer in a hotel room. Wedding food was super and staff friendly and welcoming. Room was very quiet despite being beside the motorway which is impressive. We had breakfast in the bar around twelve it was super fresh hot and lots of it plus we got pot of coffee and tea. It was fast and very tasty we will be back in fact the Ceremony room was so pretty and romantic I would now recommend this rather than a church any day. Well done to staff and hotel thanks :) Only regret we only stayed one night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tralee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights over the course of a full week. The hotel is clean throughout. Facilities and rooms are basic, however the food in the bar is very impressive and the staff here are warm and friendly.

My first stay was for 2 nights. The room I was put in was very dark (no ceiling lights, just lamps that aren't very bright because of heavy lamp shades) and noisy (both road traffic and a very loud, disconcerting buzzing coming from the electricity switch board). As I needed to work I phoned reception and they had no problem in transferring me to a much brighter (had ceiling lights) and quieter (not facing roadway and no electrical problems) room.

My second stay was for 3 nights, I was again put in a very dark room. When I phoned reception, to their credit, they arranged to have another lamp brought up to my room, however the plug for this did not fit any socket in the room so it was of no use.

This room was also quite shabby, there was bubbling wallpaper, one of the glasses was dirty with toothpaste and my bed was 2 single beds pushed together which was very uncomfortable to sleep in.

One morning I phoned reception to see if it would be possible to order breakfast to my room, although I had booked room only. I was advised that this should not be a problem and that I would be transferred through to the restaurant, I was on hold for a while before being transferred back to reception who attempted to transfer me again. This happened another 3 times and after over 10 minutes on hold I gave up and went to the petrol station next door to get my breakfast there. I learned it is much easier to phone the bar in the end.

I was not advised that there was a shuttle bus service available and this would have been very useful to me, it was only by reading through the reviews below that I learned of it. I think a simple brochure in all rooms advising guests of the services provided would be very useful as check in feels very rushed and no information is given.

There are no mini bars in the rooms but there are vending machines in the hallway, however they do not accept cash and unless you have left your credit card details with reception you will not be able to use them.

On my last night when my dinner was being delivered I was taken aback to be asked if I was smoking in my room and threatened that the hotel had a strict no smoking policy. I would never smoke in a smoke free hotel as I feel its very unfair to leave a smell for the next guest if they are a non smoker. However, I specifically booked a smoking room, and as I know this can be unreliable on agent sites I actually phoned the hotel before I booked to confirm that there were smoking rooms available for the duration of my stay. I was never advised at any point that my request had not been met. Under these circumstances I am angry that as a paying guest I would be reprimanded like a school boy.

I read the reviews on this page and the general managers responses to some. Specifically advising one guest that if they wanted tooth paste they should have bought it from a vending machine. I read the tone of this response to be very condescending. I did not feel in anyway welcome to raise any complaints with management as I felt I would be met with derision. (As a matter of interest I made sure to check the vending machine and it did not stock any tooth paste)

I do not mean to sound like a serial complainer. This is actually the first negative review I have ever written about any hotel. But I have stayed in more hotels than I care to remember over the past few years and this was by far the most unpleasant experience I have had in any. I was very happy to check out.

I'd imagine the hotel would be perfectly fine for a short stay. They seem to do a lot of Weddings and I'm sure it would be fine to spend the night after attending the reception. Its also fine to spend the night on business unless you need to read without straining your eyes. However when staying more than a few nights I found it extremely uninviting, and by Irish standards well below average.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Ended up staying here last minute mid week as house being renovated. Location not the most glamourous but you can see the Dublin mountains past the service station! Handy if you need anywhere off M50 and there is a Luas (tram) to town. Mid week rates very good. Staff very nice and accommodating. Breakfast lovely. Decor very nice. Chamber maid service excellent. Room service for breakfast v.g. Family room for 4 great size. Joel's diner next door handy for lunch with kids.

Would stay again (which I didn't expect to be saying).

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Louis Fitzgerald Hotel? Share your experiences!