“Not great!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Not great!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Hotel was Ok with free parking and a short walk to the LUAS giving easy access to Dublin. However, the hotel was full of wedding guests and a teenage girls sports team so the noise through the night was unacceptable. Hotels should do something about continuous noise and throw guests out who have no intention of sleeping.
By far the worst thing was the huge semen stain on the bedding which I saw the minute I walked in. It was on the stupid mini blanket thing that they drape over the end of the bed which is only about 18" wide so I whipped it off and threw it in the corner. I didn't have a UV lamp to check the white bedding but I assumed (hoped) they laundered the bedding but not these cosmetic soft furnishings.
I would have asked for another room but what was the point since I had to wait for a room to be ready when I checked in anyway. No excuse for such poor standards of cleanliness. Maybe I should have taken it to reception and complained, especially as now they probably think I left the deposit! Ewww.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Newtownards, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed here for one night on 25th August and had a brilliant time. Girl at check in couldn't have been more helpful (I think her name was Simone). We had lunch in LJ's before we were able to go to our room as we had arrived early. Lunch was lovely, good selection of food and speedy service. Good options for those that may have coeliacs.

Our first room was beautiful, bright and airy with windows on two sides. However, my boyfriend could smell stale smoke near the window. As it was supposed to be a non-smoking room we can only assume a previous guest may have been smoking out the window, although there was an ashtray on the table. My boyfriend went to reception to ask to be moved which was no problem at all and reception were very apologetic. New room was smaller, but still spotlessly clean and nicely decorated.

We ate dinner in Joels, which is right beside the hotel and would highly recommend! Huge portions, lovely food.

Slept ok, but there were people outside being very noisy (obviously the hotel cannot help inconsiderate guests) and the fire alarm went off for a very short period at 5.15am. Breakfast was grand, good selection of cereal etc.

10 minute walk to Luas made it a very handy location and there is secure underground parking which guests do not have to pay for. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kilkenny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We arrived on Friday 24th of August and were speedily checked in. Our prepayment was confirmed to us and breakfast times indicated. The heavily pregnant lady was curtious & friendly but otherwise uninformative as we later discovered. When making our booking online, I did tick a box to indicate we intended to have breakfast on both mornings of our stay at Eur10 per person. This was not confirmed to me on check-in nor did I think to ask.
The thought went through my mind that the receptionist must be exhausted while standing there as there was no chair in sight for her to rest. I wondered if she has to stand there for long periods everyday????
The air conditioning had nicely ice-boxed our designated room. This would be delightful on a hot sunny day but considering it was raining out of the heavens, it wasn't at all welcoming. It would be a nice touch if the Housekeeper could set a weather appropriate temperature before his/her departure
The room itself was as one would expect it to be, clean and well maintained. The sheets were crisp and smelled fresh as were the towels.
I attended breakfast alone the following morning as my partner was un-well. I helped myself to some cereal and danish. On returning to my table a girl appeared to re-fill the already full milkjug. I asked if it was possible to get a coffee to which she replied that another girl would be along soon with tea and coffee. She never did appear.
The cooked breakfast was un-interesting, old and not at all appetising. The bacon was fatty and covered in white scum! Very dissappointing. I was asked if I would like an egg cooked to order but frankly I was put off. I had some grilled tomatoes on toast. Sitting back at the table I was still awaiting some coffee. Eventually, I got tired of waiting, got up, bypassed the girl refiling the milk jugs and found somebody else to help me. The coffee was promptly delivered.
On my departure from the dining room, I decided to pay for my breakfast to avoid delays during check out. I approached a waitress and asked if I could pay. She confirmed that I had a full breakfast and for which I was prepared to pay the Eur10. In hind-sight, one bowl of cereal, one danish, 2 slices of toast and one fried tomoto plus coffee, the food margin must be healthy at the Louis Fitzgearld.
The waitress wanted to charge Eur11.50 to which I replied that online the price quoted for breakfast was Eur10. She said the price went up in the last few weeks. I had only booked 2 or 3 days before. She pointed out the manager and told me to speak with him.
The manager then wanted to charge Eur13.50. Again I explained the online price quoted. He accepted this and so charged Eur10. It baffled me when he then suggested we book breakfast for the following morning or otherwise we would be charged the higher rate? This makes absolutely no sense at all when I had already indicated in my booking that we intended to have breakfast each day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CustomerReply, General Manager at Louis Fitzgerald Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Claire,

Thank you for your recent review of the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel.

I am delighted that you mentioned that your check in was Speedy and that information was provided.
I also note your comments regarding the cleanliness and freshness of our rooms and the hotel, something we pride ourselves in and have won many awards for.
In relation to Jennifer the young lady that checked you in, I would like to point out that she is a long serving staff member and that The Fitzgerald Group takes its duty of care seriously.
Jennifer is provided with a stool at the desk for any shift she does and we would minimise the level of hours she is allowed work.

I am disappointed that when she mentioned the breakfast times and other relevant information she didn’t highlight the breakfast upgrade signage on the desk and the saving that could be made.

I am like yourself confused with the breakfast situation considering you mentioned that you ticked the box to have breakfast included, however on the morning in question you approached the supervisor with the exact change to pay for breakfast. This seems strange considering you felt you had booked it at source.
In relation to what you consumed, that is very much down to the individual and we certainly wouldn’t restrict a guest from availing of all items from our extensive hot and cold buffets.

We do have a variety of breakfast prices based on customer requirements. This covers a light take away breakfast to a full restaurant breakfast which covers both Full and continental.

You mentioned that the bacon wasn’t great, and that the first waitress mentioned someone would be along with your coffee, which never came.
I agree that the coffee should have been served when requested and I will certainly review the current service systems on busy mornings.
I have reviewed your comments with the supervisor that was dealing with your breakfast payment on the morning in question, and I am happy that he honoured the lower rate, and advised that you should upgrade for the following mornings breakfast at the reduced rate.
I feel he was looking after your interests and could have not mentioned it. He is also surprised with your comments as your other concerns where never raised with him, and with all service providers we need feedback so we can continually improve our offering to guests.

Regards,
Pat Kenny, Group General Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Distance furthest from city centre 30 minutes by tram ... A long walk to the bus stop and tram service.. Total walking time12 minutes.
I've been all over the world and this is the first instant where that they don't provide tooth paste but after numerous phone calls and a long wait of 40 minutes we received the 10 ml toothpastes. in my opinion the Louis Fitzgerald needs a star rating review..

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Mituld1.

Thank you for your recent review of The Louis Fitzgerald Hotel.

I would like any other service provider take constructive criticism when it is justified, however in this case I feel it may not be.

When booking the hotel did you research the location as we don’t sell on the basis of being in Dublin City Centre, however we are we serviced by The Luas, and many bus routes that pass our door.
We also provide a shuttle service which is highlighted in the guest directory and in the hotel lobby between 10am-12noon every Saturday and Sunday. We also provide a similar service Monday to Friday from 7am-9:30am.

In relation to providing Tooth paste, I find your basis of complaint strange considering we have vending machines in all bedroom corridors which stock tooth paste and much more.
We are also located beside a service station and convenience store which would also stock these items.
However I am disappointed that your request took such a long time to be reacted to and for this I apologise.
The tooth paste they would have dropped to you would be the standard travel size and would have a tooth brush along with the set.

In relation to the hotel grading we are graded by Board Failte and Tams and they would feel we reach the standard required. Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

Regards,

Pat Kenny
Doire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Three nights dinner,bed and breakfast for €49.50 per adult per night made this a very attractive deal for Dublin. Worked well for us as we had a car but Luas is reasonable walk. Food was available in the hotel bistro and we had it the first night. The dinner was a two course menu and was pleasant if not exceptional. We then tried the ajoining Joels for the second night and whilst the food was again pleasant there was a more lively buzz about the place. We returned for the third evening and again whilst not exceptional we had a very pleasant meal.
The room was spacious and comfortable but without aircon became quite warm. We had a fan and this kept it bearable.
Breakfast buffet was extensive and eggs cooked to order is always something special. (I know it is not the fault of the hotel but I really would like to slap the people who take way more food than they can possibly eat and it then goes to waste. We saw one table where they literally left more food than we ate in the three days)
I don't know if I would class it as four star as it lacked the small things like a minibar/fridge but there was an ice machine on the floor but all in all it was a very pleasant stay and would go back again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
West Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife, myself , and family (12 of use) have stayed at the Louis Fitzgerald every June for a number of years now, we found the service and food excellent, and very clean. this is why we keep coming back.
But what went wrong this year? We booked months in advance but when checking out we were charges €10 per room per night over the quoted rate, and more than last year, even though we were supposed to have a special rate for a convention, plus this time breakfast was extra.

The staff were great, 12 of us sat down for a meal, the table was done beautiful so that we were all together and it looked like a party, but the food was below standard, the portions of veg were very small, the burger was bland and tasteless, as was the curry which did not taste like curry at all. When we complained we were given extra portions of desert, but the food still spoilt the evening.

So it looks like next year we will all be seeking a new location, They are above the rates of surounding hotels.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sunderlandman,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us over the Watchtower Convention July last.
As this year was an international convention, there were an unprecedented number of delegates however we were fortunate to have predominantly repeat guests from previous years.
The rate strategy did not include dinner this year tariff as was altered to reflect the demand for the convention and previous delegates.

I am surprised to read your disappointment in relation to the value offered for the event for which we already have repeat delegates registered for 2013.

Regards

Pat Kenny
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed for 1 night on 12th August, using the location as a base to see the locality and for an early start the next day to visit Tayto Park. For that it's excellent. There were tea & coffee making facilities in the room and a good selection of channels on the TV (but not for kids). For some reason the rooms are extraordinarily hot, however there was a fan and the window opened, which helped. The rooms are quite spacous.

We did not get one smile from anybody working in the hotel, checking in or checking out, what a pity and a bad reflection on the hotel. I found the beds uncomfortable, but that is just me.

I did not realise that the shower was extremely stiff and I wasn't able to turn it on when I went to take a shower in the morning. There weren't robes in the room so I wasn't in a poisition to call in a stranger at that stage to turn it on for me so I had to leave without taking a shower that morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Louis Fitzgerald Hotel? Share your experiences!