“55 years celebration” 5 of 5 stars

The Merry Ploughboy Irish Music Pub
Edmondstown Road | Rockbrook, Dublin Dublin 16, Ireland
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Merry Ploughboy is the only pub in Ireland owned and managed by musicians, and it is the 'hands on' approach from the owners that makes a visit to the Merry Ploughboy the highlight of many people's trip to Ireland. The two hour Irish music & Irish dancing show (which takes place nightly at the pub) has been awarded "Best Dinner/Entertainment Event in Ireland" and the pub is the current "Music Pub of the Year" in Ireland. Owners and musicians, The Merry Ploughboys, have been performing together for 25 years making their show the longest running show in Ireland hosted continuously by the same performers. The pub is located about 20 minutes south of Dublin City centre with complimentary car parking. It is easily accessed by taxi or if you are staying in the city centre we recommend our shuttle transfer service (just 7.50 euro return fare). The transfer by luxury executive coach offers an elevated view of the scenic Southside of Dublin city. After the show, the coach will drop you back as close as practical to your accommodation. Reservations are essential, however online bookings for the dinner & show (and shuttle transfer if required) can be made in real-time on our own website. We operate a "ticketless" booking system. You will receive a unique booking reference number on your email receipt and our floor manager will have all your details when you arrive at the pub.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“55 years celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

we celebrated being married for 55 years at this pub, and had the greatest of times, the whole atmosphere was to enjoy , the singing by the merry ploughboys was great, they sang the
fields of athenry to my wife ,a song with many memmories,then th irish danceing added to the night, the food was great i dont know how they catered for aprox 120 with such service and lovely food, as you can tell it was a great night worth every cent .

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great entertainment and excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were on our first trip to Dublin from the UK. Just a four night break but enough to get a feel for the city.

I had pre-booked an evening of Irish music and dance with a meal as part of the deal. While many pubs have music and dance this one, my research showed, had a very high rating. I booked on line and they also offered transport to the location (about 10 kilometres from the city centre). Our pick up point , the first, would be about 200 metres from out hotel.

The bus arrived on time but Dublin at rush hour is not a quick moving city and with other pick up points it was an hour before we arrived at the venue. We were warmly greeted at the door and sent to an upper room where we were shown to our pre assigned table.

The room had, I would guess, about a 150 guest capacity and it was nearly full. There were a lot of waitresses taking drinks and food orders. A bar at the back of the room and a stage at the front.

Our order for drinks and food was quickly taken. and before too long the drinks delivered. The starter arrived shortly after (we had chosen a seafood chowder) and I am sorry New England but this was the best seafood chowder that we had ever had.

For mains my wife had a lamb shank and I had chicken. both were good. This we followed with Apple pie (with wonderful pastry) and custard and a coffee. This quality of this meal was better than many restaurants I have been in around the world and this was mass catering.

As the meal came to a close the band arrived. As they play most nights the actual and is made up of 4 musicians and vocalists from a group of 8.

They played popular Irish songs and got the audience involved interspersed with less well known numbers which included the occasional serious ballad. The standard of playing was very high and we had a few instrumentals that illustrated their capability. At the end of the first set the musicians were replaced by Irish dancers who put on a very entertaining number of dances before the Merry Ploughboys returned for their final set.

An excellent meal and great entertainment all for about £45 per head (drinks extra)

1 Thank nineandahalffingers
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
“A Birthday to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I am so pleased that our tour group CIE included the Merry Ploughboys Pub on our trip. It just so happened my son was celebrating his 21st birthday that evening. First the incredible band sang Happy Birthday to him, then the talented dancers brought him up to dance onstage with them, and at the end of the evening one of the Ploughboys answered my sons special request of singing a song with him. The food and staff were wonderful.

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
“A 21st to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I recently visited The Merry Ploughboy Pub on a trip with my mom to Ireland. During our tour we had dinner at this fantastic restaurant and were overwhelmed by the level of satisfying entertainment. It also happened to be my 21st birthday that particular night so things got...interesting. Overall I was overjoyed that this stop was part of the taste of Ireland Tour (shout out to CIE Tours). What really amazed me were the musicians. They provided and endless supply of traditional Irish music that reached the hearts of all of those who were a part of that evening. I look forward to catching The Merry Ploughboy's show once they come to the states.

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fun evening out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went to this pub as part of our CIE bus tour and it turned out to be a fun event. The place was packed with tour buses yet they were very well organized and the service was very efficient. They evidently serve large crowds on a regular basis. We had a limited choice menu and the food was very good, especially the apple pie for dessert. The musicians who manage the place put on a very entertaining show but it was not the typical Celtic music I thought it would be. It leaned toward more modern Irish folk music with some humor sprinkled throughout. The dancers that performed between the music sets were exceptional and did a very nice job. They did traditional Irish folk dancing and the men and women dancers were quite talented. I really liked them better than the singers. It was a fun evening and I would go there when the tour buses are not scheduled if you are traveling as an individual because it is a charming place.

Visited July 2013