“A 21st to remember” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 249 Nightlife in Dublin
Type: Bar/ Clubs, Concerts, Bars
More attraction details
Owner description: The Merry Ploughboy is the only pub in Ireland owned and managed by musicians, and it is the 'hands on' approach from the owners that makes a visit to the Merry Ploughboy the highlight of many people's trip to Ireland. The two hour Irish music & Irish dancing show (which takes place nightly at the pub) has been awarded "Best Dinner/Entertainment Event in Ireland" and the pub is the current "Music Pub of the Year” in Ireland. Owners and musicians, The Merry Ploughboys, have been performing together for 22 years making their show the longest running show in Ireland hosted continuously by the same performers. The pub is located about 20 minutes south of Dublin City centre with complimentary car parking. It is easily accessed by taxi or if you are staying in the city centre we recommend our shuttle transfer service (just 5.50 euro return fare). The transfer by luxury executive coach offers an elevated view of the scenic Southside of Dublin city. After the show, the coach will drop you back as close as practical to your accommodation. Reservations are essential, however online bookings for the dinner & show (and shuttle transfer if required) can be made in real-time on our own website. We operate a "ticketless" booking system. You will receive a unique booking reference number on your email receipt and our floor manager will have all your details when you arrive at the pub.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
“A 21st to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I recently visited The Merry Ploughboy Pub on a trip with my mom to Ireland. During our tour we had dinner at this fantastic restaurant and were overwhelmed by the level of satisfying entertainment. It also happened to be my 21st birthday that particular night so things got...interesting. Overall I was overjoyed that this stop was part of the taste of Ireland Tour (shout out to CIE Tours). What really amazed me were the musicians. They provided and endless supply of traditional Irish music that reached the hearts of all of those who were a part of that evening. I look forward to catching The Merry Ploughboy's show once they come to the states.
Slainte

16 attraction reviews
“Fun evening out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went to this pub as part of our CIE bus tour and it turned out to be a fun event. The place was packed with tour buses yet they were very well organized and the service was very efficient. They evidently serve large crowds on a regular basis. We had a limited choice menu and the food was very good, especially the apple pie for dessert. The musicians who manage the place put on a very entertaining show but it was not the typical Celtic music I thought it would be. It leaned toward more modern Irish folk music with some humor sprinkled throughout. The dancers that performed between the music sets were exceptional and did a very nice job. They did traditional Irish folk dancing and the men and women dancers were quite talented. I really liked them better than the singers. It was a fun evening and I would go there when the tour buses are not scheduled if you are traveling as an individual because it is a charming place.

Visited July 2013
Oslo, Norway
4 attraction reviews
“Enjoy it as it is”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was in charge of a small group and for us – this was perfect.
I did not wish to have my group spread around the Temple bar area on a busy Saturday night, but did want us to enjoy a decent dinner, drinks and some Irish music + dancing. With this in mind I opted to book the package through their website. We were not disappointed. To enjoy this sort of venue, you have to study their website and, importantly, the various (varying) reviews on T.A.
Our package included being picked up from, and returned to, our hotel. This worked perfectly, all honours to our entertaining and friendly mini-bus driver.
The show was very enjoyable; the music was very entertaining and the dancers also. Yes there will be some “noisy” people present and yes the acoustics are not on the same professional level as an opera, one must take it as it is – good fun, safe and easy entertainment. The food was both ample & decent and we experienced no problems in securing drinks.
Our highlight of the evening was the solo session of the Bodhran (Irish drum) – excellent!

Visited November 2012
“Great Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Well, as a previous writer stated, it may be a " tourist trap" but aren't we all there as tourists? If you want a small town pub then this is not the place to go. If you want fun and friendly people then you will not be disappointed. As for the food, I thought it was really quite good given the type of venue we were in. Everyone in our group enjoyed the whole night.

Paris, France
“Brought clients visiting Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I brought two business clients from France and Russia for a great evening of entertainment and good food. The clients thoroughly enjoyed their time.
Adam ó hAodh