“Excellent Value Superior Travelodge” 4 of 5 stars

Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shangan Road | Ballymun, Dublin 11, Ireland   |
Ranked #123 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
LONDON
“Excellent Value Superior Travelodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I must say I am really curious about some of the reviews I have read here on Trip Advisor. Did we stay at the same hotel? The Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun is a brand new hotel, very modern and spacious. The lobby area has airport information and also Internet points which were very handy. The staff were so nice and welcoming. My bedroom was far from basic. The flat screen plazma TV - kettle - bath and shower - devine comfortable bed and free wi-fi. I recommend this hotel. The fact is that some people are never pleased at all. If you want 5* do not stay in a 3 star hotel is what I would say. I have stayed in many hotels in Dublin and I will stay in Travelodge from now on. With prices like this and clean and comfortable facilities unless you pay doubole you will not find better.

• Liked — Spacious very clean and modern and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing wrong at all
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LisaWalsh, Travelodge Group Revenue Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun, responded to this review, January 15, 2009
Hello,

On behalf of Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun, Thank you for your kind postive review.
I'm delighted all our facilities and hotel met your standards.

Looking Forward to seeing you again soon.

Lisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

This hotel is a good airport hotel, just to sleep. But taxi drivers and locals warned us to go outside at night, and it looked a little like that. Ok, we did not see anything worthy to be seen at day or at night. Some buildings looked derelict, as if you could get a telly on your head whilst passing by. Inside the hotel room was quite large and clean. Staff was a bit slow, but still friendly.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hi there,

Thank you for taking time to write your review about Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun.

The Ballymun area itself is part of a multi billion euro regeneration project. This project has come so far over the last couple of years and is due for completion soon.

The new town is being made economically sustainable through the construction of a traditional style main street, with its retail and commercial services, the development of neighbourhood centres with a range of local services. The residents and visitors can now enjoy new parks, Theatre and Leisure facilities in the Ballymun area.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2008

Good Hotel, but horrible location. Thanks God they have a secure underground car park, otherwise it is really dangerous to leave your car in that area…
Rooms very spacious and clean, big windows. Basic breakfast, helpful staff.
Not suits for tourists at all.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

The hotel is very nice, modern, clean and new. We arrived at the hotel early, as has been said there was no luggage storage available, but for 10 euros we could check in early, which we did and we were all set. Checkin/out was quick and efficient, although the hotel wasn't particularly busy. Our rooms were very new and modern, mine was at the front, so I was a little concerned about noise but it was never an issue. The area across the road from the hotel is undoutedly a rough area, but we used the buses (4 and 13) into and out of the centre repeatedly, including at night, without feeling threatened at all. The we used the hotel bar both nights for a few nightcaps, and it was cheaper than drinking in the centre of Dublin! This hotel provides a great value option, I always prefer to stay centrally, but prices in Dublin being what they are, we chose this hotel, its a 15 minute cab from the airports and 10 - 15 minutes on the frequent buses to the centre. Yes the area is a little rough but money is clearly being spent to revitalise the area, and if you have any worries you can always get cabs to the centre. Put it this way I wouldn't hesitate staying here again.

• Liked — New modern clean hotel at decent price
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hello,

Thank you for taking time to write your review about your stay at Travelodge Dublin AIrport Ballymun.

Check -in at all our hotels is 15:00 and unfortunately we do not have luggage storage units in our hotels. Only in the last year we have started to offer the early checkin / Late check out service to our guests. This is to give our customers options and to make there stay as comforable and pleasurable as possible.

The Ballymun area is under a multi billion Euro regeneration project at present. As you said in your review this money is clearly been spent . There has already been excellent work completed in the area including new Leisure facilities, retail parks and shopping centres. We are looking forward to what lie's ahead.

Again Thank you for writing your postive review and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

Be warned, this hotel is very very basic, the rooms were fine, basic but fine, this is what you'd expect in a travelodge and for the price we paid, the rooms were exceptable!!!!
Reception/Bar area on the other hand were awful, it was the coldest/drabby reception I've ever come across, the ladies on the desk were helpful but the surroundings and bar/restaurant were awful, they were deserted, cold and seriously lacked a bit of atmosphere, I would not recommend this hotel for a 'leisure break', the area outside is very rough but I knew this before I stayed as I'd been to Dublin many a time. We used this hotel on the basis of the location to the airport but the taxi (no shuttle bus available) was expensive enough, had we known this, I would have paid the extra to stay near the airport. Overall, I would not use this hotel again!!!!

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Bar/Restaurant and general area
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

I stayed here for two nights a few weeks ago and I found everything in order. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and there was everything in them that I needed, plus a great car park downstairs. The Staff were great, very friendly and very willing to help me.

There is a huge lobby with sofas down the side, great to have a coffee and see the locals and the world go by.

Reading some of the reviews here I am amazed, I found the area to be find, I walked on my own over to the shops and found the local city people to be grand. Yes it is a residential area, and yes down the road it looks a little run down, but speaking to the staff all this is changing as it is being regenerated and it will be a top area; anyway I was not in Dublin to hang out in my hotel or the area.

As I hate driving in the city centre I usually stay in a hotel off the m50 and then use public transport, so when I was going into the city I got the bus, the service is very good form this hotel.

Plus I left my car in the car park for a week when I was going to Germany and it only cost me 30 euros, and it only took me about 10 minutes by taxi to the airport.

I will be back, because it did what I needed at a great price, and I can’t name one negative thing during my stay.

Sky & Ryan

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Nothing I can think of
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

A friend booked this for our group (12 women). When i read the previous reviews i was dreading it!!

The reviews could not have been more spot on.. 7 of us walked over to the tesco and although 4 of them are police officers- i felt threatened!! It was like being in the back of beyond, everyone was staring at us and the "locals" were not friendly! I am surprised that Tesco have their name on this shop as it was DISGUSTING!! They do not sell sandwiches or deli of any sort so i would advise that people use the shop called supervalu..yes, there is no "E" !!
The area was full of drunken men screaming and throwing pints around..teenage drunks and hooded lads. The stray dogs were true too... and the beggars in the town HOUND you.

THE HOTEL...... Was ok, but i had major grievances with the maids..i had forgotten something in my room and when i returned to it, the maids had wedged the door open (wide) with our towels. There was no-one in sight and all our belongings were in FULL view of passers by, i stood for nearly 5 mins before a maid showed up..anyone could have been off with our stuff by then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The receptionists had a lot of problems with drunken men, but i saw NO security around.
We needed extra cups and towels in our room, this didn't seem a problem and the staff were always friendly!
I would never visit Dublin again i thought the streets on a Saturday night were extremely filthy. There were bin bags full of commercial waste lining the streets and people had used the toilet on them, were sick on them and people had actually pooed up side streets.. it was very unpleasant. The maintenance of the cobbles in Temple Bar need to be sorted! People were falling over without even being drunk. Dublin is shocking in comparison to London, Edinburgh and the list could be endless!!!

• Liked — a comfy bed!
  • Disliked — the area.. the sloooow check in and sloooow coffee service in the morning!
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun? Share your experiences!