“Would not recommend it..” 2 of 5 stars

Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shangan Road | Ballymun, Dublin 11, Ireland   |
Ranked #122 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Chicago, Illinois
“Would not recommend it..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

When we first got to our room it was very dirty. The bed stand and desk were not wiped down before our arrival and had old crumbs and stains. The carpet was not fully vacuumed and there were obvious stains and dirt on the curtain. With what we paid, we were not impressed. Also, many locals and taxi drives from Dublin told us that the hotel was located in a dangerous part of town. To use wifi was also very expensive. It was our first time staying at a hotel without free wifi.

Other than that, the beds were comfortable and it was close to the airport. The service was just OK. I would choose this as a last resort hotel. It is much better to stay closer to the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
George O, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear MLake7526,

Thank you for your recent feedback.

It is disappointing to learn of the dissatisfaction that you had with the quality of the accommodation provided, in particular to the service standards of our housekeeping team. It is unfortunate that your dissatisfaction was not brought to the attention of a member of my team. At Travelodge Ireland, we are renowned for delivering the highest standards throughout; clearly on this occassion we fell short of these standards, for which I profusely apologise. I have addressed your comments with my housekeeping team and taken measures to ensure a repeat of this incident does not occur again.

I trust that this incident will not deter you from visiting the hotel in the near future. I would be grateful if you could contact me direct at the hotel on your next visit so that I may personally ensure your stay with us is an enjoyable and memorable one.

George O'Gara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here with my partner and we to made the the mistake of thinking this hotel was near dublin air port. Let me put you all straight, this hotel is only 10 mins in a car from the air port but you do have to pay 15 euro in a taxi per way from airport, or to dublin city centre. However we did not let this ruin our weekend and made the most of the fact we were away. When we arrived at dublin air port we went to the information desk and asked what bus to catch and she advised us we could purchase a 3 day rambler from the spar shop at airport and catch 2 different buses to get to hotel (takes about 1hr as is a tourist bus that takes people to and from the air port) these rambler tickets were 15 euro each but we made use out of them to and from airport and dublin. When we arrived at hotel staff were so friendly, we didnt know there was an early check in fee as we arrived at 8.30ish in morning but the lady said we didnt have to pay because we had traveled by bus and didnt realise the distance of the hotel! we were showed to our room which was lovely and very clean couldnt complain at all. Lovely large bath with all facilities included towels etc. we only paid for the room so asked at reception about the breakfast and you can just go down and pay as you like off the menu. They do a lovely breakfast special for 5 euro very cheap and filling. coffee and tea, sausage bacon egg beans hash brown and 2 slices of toast :-) couldnt find one cheaper in the city of dublin. When we checked out the lady and reception booked a taxi for us because of the early flight 14 euro and even arranged us a wake up call. The area is rough but the people are lovely and the hotel does it justice. I think its just a run down area that needs a bit of tlc but dont let this ut you off, its all part of the experience. No body could help us enough and would definatly go back without question. As we were tourists everybody at reception were so helpful to help us get the most out of our 3 day bus ticket...e went everywhere. I also want to mention the girl on breakfast duty was so lovely and gave us a great service. Thankyou ballymun hotel for a lovely stay and making us feel welcome. :-)

Room Tip: double beds are firm and comfy :-)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vanessa,

Many thanks for the lovely review that you posted.

It is encouraging to read such positive and constructive comments from our guests. I have passed your gracious comments onto my team here at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Firstly please DON'T book if you want an easy and quick link to the airport. I believe the North Swords Travelodge has a shuttle to the airport but this one is a 15 euro/ 15-20 min taxi ride away from Dublin airport.
However if this isn't a problem for you then this is a good value stopover. There are certainly no luxuries but the room I was in (113) was very clean, warm and comfortable. Bathroom was big and spacious and very clean, plenty of towels were provided. The bed was quite firm but I like that. Television wasn't of the greatest quality but it did help pass the time while I was waiting for my early morning flight. I can't comment on the restaurant as it was closed when I was there (unsure why as it states it is open until 9pm on a sunday- I arrived at around 8:15) but there was a takeaway next door.
Staff were helpful and friendly after one minor hiccup (a sigh when I asked for wifi just before paying instead of right at the beginning of the conversation) and were happy to order me a taxi and give me a wakeup call.
I wasnt able to charge my phone as the plug sockets all seemed to have 3 round holes instead of square ones- not sure if this is to stop people stealing lamps etc but it was quite inconvenient to me as I had to go the next morning without a phone which isn't ideal when you are travelling. If adapters were available for guests then this wasn't made at all clear. I did search the room and was unable to find a normal socket, maybe I missed it.
Overall the room was very cheap and I was comfortable so it deserves merit for its value, however if I need to stay over in Dublin for a flight again I will look for a more convenient airport. I would rather pay an extra 10/15 euros for a closer hotel than the 30 euros I paid for taxis.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear EdiGirl93,

Thank you for your constructive comments. I am delighted to read that, overall you were satisfied with our product in terms of comfort, cleanliness and amenities. We constantly strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations.

I am also pleased to read that my team here at the hotel was helpful and friendly in dealing with your queries.

We hope to have you back with us again in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my fiancé in December 2012 rooms were clean and beds comfy but very basic. It's a case of you have everything you need for a good nights sleep and to make yourself clean and presentable. We would stay again as its a great price and good standard hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Nay1604,

Thank you for your wonderful comments.

I am pleased that you will be staying with us again in the near future. Indeed our prices are always competitive offering value for money.

Please contact us direct at the hotel at the time of your next booking.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent 4 days there as we where stuck in Dublin whilst trying to get back to Australia, (standby Staff travel) , My wife and daughter had a very pleasant stay there, the staff where very helpful and the rooms clean and very modern.We where told that the area "Ballymun" wasn't a very nice area to stay in, but during our stay there we had no problems at all, in fact we found the locals to be very helpful and friendly as we traveled using only public transport.If I return to Dublin will stay again, anyone who complains about this place needs to do some traveling and find out what a bad hotel is (worked in airline industry all my life).For the price and location you,ll not beat it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your gracious comments.

I am delighted that everything was to your satisfaction in the hotel and trust that you had a pleasant journey back to Australia.

Indeed Ballymun over the years has established itself as a destination of choice. it has wonderful public amenities and great community friendliness.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Yours truly,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Had a really unfriendly staff member check us in. But she was pregnant so maybe that's why. Very secure. Lots of buzzers and intercoms to get let in. Fire alarm went off twice and no one came to explain why or if we needed to evacuate. Comfortable room and clean. Not too far from places. Right near a bus stop to get to popular shopping street. Able to walk to a restaurant and a live theater at night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
George O, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Ashlee,

Thank you for your comments. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests, be it complimentary or critical as it serves as an effective tool in monitoring and improving the standards of service and customer care within the hotel. Throughout Travelodge Ireland we strive to offer a consistent quality hotel product, offering excellent value for money to our patrons.

Clearly on this occasion we fell short of of renowned high standards of customer care for which I profusely apologise. I have addressed this issue with my team here at the hotel and taken measures to ensure a repeat of this incident does not occur again. I sincerely trust that your overall perception of our hotel has not been diminished and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours truly,

Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have just stayed in your hotel 9-10 Dec I stayed in room 113

Firstly there was no hot water in the room I rang the front desk at 9pm to be told that a plumber was coming to fix it at 11pm

but the following morning at 7am there was still no hot water! This is completely unsatisfactory and unacceptable I couldnt even have a shower there

The room was also filthy which I have taken pictures of and freezing the walls are very thin and you can even hear conversations going on in other rooms!
NEVER again would I stay there not even if it was for free WORST EVER!!!!!
Its also miles away from Dublin airport 15euro EACH WAY in a taxi!
The manager was unavailable to talk to!!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun? Share your experiences!