“Perfect for a layover stay in Dublin” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #77 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect for a layover stay in Dublin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had an overnight layover in Dublin, and found this hotel very convenient for my early morning flight back to the US.

Pros:
- Great Breakfast.
- Complimentary Hotel Shuttle service to and from the airport
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Quiet atmosphere. Guests are mostly there for business.
- Great bang for the buck

Cons:
- This is a great hotel for a layover, or if your activities are near the Dublin airport area. But this hotel is quite a distance from the Dublin City Centre. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you're on a holiday and most of your sightseeing would be in the Dublin centre.

Tips:
- When using the free shuttle service, make sure to double check the pick-up schedule with the hotel staff, specially if you're arriving late at night).
- They have 2 coaches: a big bus and a shuttle.
- Shuttle location is at the very end of the covered path outside the main terminal, a few meters beyond the church. Don't go to the hotel stop for Radisson and the other coaches on your left. Just follow the path, it will be on your right side, same as the church. It looks like a big parking lot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Last April 22nd, my wife and I spent one night at this Hotel. We found it very nice and convenient for short stays while waiting for flights at the airport. The hotel and rooms are very modern and well equipped, However, the rooms do not have a safe and are somewhat small, the TV channel selection is very limited as well. But they are very quiet and extremely clean.

The breakfast variety and quality is just adequate. We had an early flight out of Dublin and at 6am, we did not feel like eating much anyway. The hotel has limited food services, but there is the Crowne hotel next door with an extra food option. By the way, in the past people has complained about the shuttle van to and from the airport, specifically it was mentioned that the van was not properly identified as servicing the two hotels. Well, now the van and bus shuttle are properly marked.

The rates are very convenient and I would not hesitate to recommend the Holiday In Express to anyone in need of a convenient place to stay for a short while in the area.

I would like to add that I had an interesting experience in this hotel. In the morning of my departure, I tried to use the hair dryer and I could not. This was outside the bathroom mounted on a support and attached to the closet cabinet. The dryer has two on-off switches, one of the dryer and one on the holder, but no combination of settings would make it work. I called the front desk and they sent someone to help. As it happens, there is an extra on-off switch in the wiring hidden beneath the closet cabinet. There was no way to see it, and no where there was any information about it. Keep this in mind when you stay here in case it is turned off.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

All the previous reviews concerning this hotel are correct. I dare to add it would be hard to find
a better Dublin hotel for the money.The room is basic and clean. The bus from the airport was easy and quick. The room price was so reasonable that I reserved the room for the previous night as we were arriving by air at 5 am. We wanted to be assured of a room to shower and take a quick nap before heading into downtown. The front desk personnel was very helpful, provided a map and information. Bus service to the downtown area was one block away. Tell the bus driver where you wish to get off - near Temple Bar area or the main street O'Connell - easy - its about a 20 minute ride. Be sure to have change for the bus. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I'm actually in the hotel at the time writing this review. WIFI is free and free of charge. Several different types of plugs in are also available in the room.Taxi is around 10 € from airport but one can choose free shuttle as well. Quick check in, very nice and helpful staff at front desk. Breakfast staff is also friendly however I cannot tell anything else positive about breakfast. It is a poor choice of some basics (no coldcuts, no fresh vegetables, not mentioning bacon or black pudding). It was very repetative which should not have been a problem if it was good but it wasn’t. Worst breakfast I have ever had in a hotel. Fortunately dinning option available right next door at Crown Plaza. I have been there before and food was plenty and delicious on both occasions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear monaHungary,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am pleased that you were checked-in quickly. I also appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind remarks for the staff.as this encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. On the other hand, please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered over the breakfast selections. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pittsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The staff here really made this short stay for me! The airport shuttle is efficient and easy (once you figure out where it is), the rooms clean and straight-forward, but the staff was excellent! The manager gave me a city map with the bus stop numbers and locations (and routes) stapled to it (with the cost of the fare)! This got me off to a great start. They were all prepared to answer any question and ensure that my visit and stay was comfortable. They helped me find a mall nearby so I could find a hat and gloves for the cold weather and got me in and out with ease in spite of a very crowded lobby and many guests. It may be in every new Holiday Inn Express, but the presence of outlets for many different types of plugs was a great benefit for me!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have stayed here twice----September 2012 & October 2012. The shuttle service to the Dublin Airport is very efficient & the public bus stop to Dublin City Center is on the main road at the entrance to the hotel property! The breakfast is good & they will give you a box breakfast if you are departing early. The rooms are clean, modern, & comfortable. Friendly & helpful staff....with a nice restaurant at the hotel next door! The Price is right :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My first impression was very good: efficient check in and a spotlessly clean room in excellent condition. Small and sparse, but that's fine. But I had two problems when I tried to sleep. First the bed was the most uncomfortable hotel bed I can remember--almost no padding above the springs. I can only compare it to the cots in the tents at summer camp when I was a kid, but really, those were much nicer. I was starting to fall asleep by imagining myself at summer camp, but then there were occasional very loud plane noises. I put in my earplugs and still heard them so I also set the fan on the heating system to run constantly. Either that worked or that happened to be when the planes stopped, and I in fact got a good sleep.

Strangely, in the morning I heard no planes whatsoever, even while standing outside waiting for the shuttle bus. The map makes it look like one runway directly lines up with the hotel, so I guess it's just when they are using that runway to take off in that direction. Interestingly, the two airport-grounds hotels--the radisson blu and the clarion, do not line up with any major runways, so might be a safer bet on being quiet.

Breakfast was fine, though I missed the trademark cinnamon rolls that HI express has in the US. Nor was there the wonderful Irish brown bread that one gets at many other places in Ireland.

All in all, I wouldn't choose to stay there again. I'd try the two on the airport grounds, or just stay in Dublin. The airlink bus to Dublin runs every 15 minutes, whereas the shuttle to this hotel is only every half hour, so it's not very different counting the possible wait. And the ones on the hotel grounds are so close you could even walk if you wanted to.

If you do go, make sure you check out the directions on the web site to the shuttle pick up point at the "coach park". I was expecting something marked "hotel shuttles", and expecting it to be right at the curb, but it's a little ways away, and it's labeled with other hotel names but not "holiday inn express".

Room Tip: The north side faces the airport.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear tuctrohs,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport? Share your experiences!