“Good hotel for business - what you'd expect” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #30 of 178 hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel for business - what you'd expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. I was really tired so ate room service for dinner, which was good quality food and the menu choice was good. Its what you'd expect from a Hilton - good size room, nice bed, friendly staff etc. BUT nothing more. It's fine!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

874 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently for two nights. The hotel itself was fine, but expensive for the location. The size of the room and bathroom was nice and the free wifi was appreciated. The late night room service menu was limited, but the food was good. The staff at the hotel was very nice. The location is on the outskirts of Dublin and not very close to most of the attractions. This hotel is directly across from the Kilmainham jail and near Phoenix Park so that was convenient, but other than those locations you will need to take a taxi or bus. Overall the hotel was fine, but when we return to Dublin we will be staying closer to the city center. On another note, my disappoint with Hilton stemmed from not being able to change our reservation. I did book an advance purchase rate on Hilton.com and came to find out this rate is non-refundable and you cannot change the dates. My fault for not reading the fine print. We unfortunately had a death in the family and wanted to push the dates back two weeks and actually add another night on to the stay. I spoke with corporate Hilton who informed me there is nothing they could do to assist, but make a request to the hotel. Since it is an international hotel, the hotel would have to make the decision if they would honor my request. I spoke to the hotel a couple days before my planned trip and was told that they would not be able to resell the room so I could not change my dates. I understand I booked the rate, but being a Hilton Honors member for over 10 years that has frequently stayed at Hilton hotels this was disappointing. As I mentioned to the hotel, there have been several insistences when staying at a Hilton hotel things have gone wrong and I have been understanding, unfortunately that was not the case when the tables are turned.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Athlone, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Not too far from the phoenix park, the hotel is modern, stylish and a good base to explore Dublin from the outskirts of the city. there is on site car parking and the breakfast is really good. we ordered an evening meal through room service and the food was first rate, and it worked out at a very reasonable price. the staff were very helpful with directions to places of interest and overall we had a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Nice luxury hotel close to dublin
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My partner and I recently stayed at the hotel for two nights. The overall experience was exactly what we were looking for. The staff at the hotel were curtious and friendly, particularly Brian, who sat down with us and gave us lots of information to make our trip worthwhile. The rooms were spacious and well kept. We made good use of the facilities and the free wifi was very useful.
Overall we both enjoyed our stay and would thoroughly recommend the hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Dublin.

Mainz, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Quite far from the airport and no shuttle. Also, far from city center & attractions. Nearest public tram was about 2 km walk.
But my biggest complaint was the front desk staff. Hubby and I were repeatedly called sirs (note multiple male title) by english speaking clerk. As it was Valentine's Day, we had a bottle of wine with us. The fridge in the room didn't work - yes we checked the plug. I called the desk for service. And was told they'd take care of it. An hour later, on the way out to dinner, I stopped at the desk and was told that none of the fridges work in the whole hotel. I asked why I wasn't told that an hour ago and fussed about chilling my wine. They said they'd have an ice bucket and a portable fridge brought up. Back from dinner, no fridge, no ice bucket. Another call. Sorry we'll have it right up. Another hour and a call asking for the manager, told he was on his way up with the fridge. Yes, he came, empty handed. And when I asked where was the fridge &/or ice, he looked at me like I was a crazy person. I told him about the stories I was getting from the front desk and he just looked incredulous and asked what kind of hotel would have all the fridges on the blink. I agreed, it sounded pretty stupid to me. Said he'd talk to the front desk girls. He climbed under the counter and found a switch that had been turned off. Viola, working fridge, but still no ice after 10PM and no mood now even if we had cold wine. So much for our romantic plans. At check out I was asked if enjoyed my stay and had to say no and explain why not. Got the day manager, her response, they offered my a drink. Why would I want a drink at 10AM when i'm headed out for a tour????
By far the worst Hilton I've ever stayed in. We've lived in Hiltons for extended periods during moves, I expect better.

Room Tip: Make sure the fridge works and throw a fit right off if it doesn't
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I started our Ireland vacation at the Hilton Kilmainham. We flew in on the overnight flight from JFK and landed just before 9 on a Saturday morning. Customs was quick and easy and we walked outside of the terminal to catch the 747 Airlink bus. After about a 10 minute wait at the clearly marked stop, the bus arrived.

We had purchased the 3 day Freedom Pass that included the 747 as well as the green hop on hop off buses and any other city buses. While I never did a detailed analysis of cost vs. value it was really convenient to be able to get on almost any bus at any point in time without having to have proper change, etc - I highly recommend it.

Back to the hotel... We took the 747 to Heuston Station as I read others had. We got off at Heuston Station, walked through the station and down the street to the right. We got confused with where to walk and ended up turning left down the lane that goes to the Museum of Modern Art Museum thinking it was our road (it's not). It ended up being a nice little short cut as we walked through the property (including the building) and park on the other side. We came out right across from the hotel. At this point I had been up since early the prior morning and hadn't showered since so I was tired and SO looking forward to a shower. We entered the lobby of the hotel where everyone was very nice. Thankfully we were able to check in that early and I got the shower and nap I so needed. I thought for sure we'd charge ahead through that first day but we couldn't hack it and slept most of the day instead. For the record, unless you are familiar with Dublin I highly recommend taking a cab from Heuston Station to the hotel - it's a good investment, especially after a long trip.

Room....We were in room 530 which was on the top level and included a balcony with a view of the gaol. The room was clean, comfortable and included a mini fridge that we used to store extra beverages that we purchased at the TOPAZ gas station just south of the hotel. The room also had a handicap shower set-up that the folks who checked us in warned us of in advance. It is different but wasn't a problem - the view is well worth it. We asked for an extra bath mat to prevent extra water from getting on the bathroom floor after our first shower. You'll know what I mean if you end up in one of these rooms. Bath products were Peter Thomas Roth and are great. The room included an american style outlet to charge your phone, tablet, etc. That said, I encourage you to buy an adapter if you are staying at other hotels along the way.

Location.... The hotel is in a quieter neighborhood west of the city center. Because the gaol is just across the street the hop on hop off buses stop just down the street 100 feet or so. The Dublin buses stop nearby too. Just head south past the TOPAZ station and turn right at what I think is the next corner (there's a pizza shop on the corner and you can see the bus stop shelters not far down the street). Take bus 13 or 40 to the city center. We learned quickly that the buses may not stop if you down wave them down as they are approaching. No biggie, just toss out a hand and you'll have a ride - assuming you have a bus pass of some sort or proper change. Again, I highly recommend the freedom pass. The trip into the city center is pretty quick and you'll soon be in the Temple Bar area.

Restuarant... We had dessert and drinks in the hotel bar on our first night after getting dinner in the Temple Bar area. Service was good and the dessert was awesome. There was a solid selection of beer and wine. We had dinner here the second night and both enjoyed great meals then too. It's nice to have a comfortable, dependable home base to return to for meals or cocktails before heading up to the room and the hotel/restaurant was just that for us.

For my husband and I this property was perfect. I'm a bit thrifty but want comfort and cleanliness and he doesn't like the crowds of a major metropolitan area. This hotel met all of those requirements with a dependable transport system to get us into the action during the day.

Room Tip: I agree with the prior recommendations. High floor on the south side of the building provides great...
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our one-night stay here. The room was immaculate and very comfortable, with excellent facilities. The staff were warm and welcoming. We had dinner and breakfast in the dining room and the food was generally of a very high standard. We booked on the hotel web-site and got a reasonably good deal. It's a great location as there are several nearby tourist attractions, including Kilmainham Jail and the Museum of Modern Art.

Room Tip: If you are booking a twin room, specify that you don't want a family room as the second bed is v...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Dublin Kilmainham? Share your experiences!