“Comfier than a hostel IMHO” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hazelbrook House

Save Saved
You added Hazelbrook House to your Saves list
Hazelbrook House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   85/86 Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin 1, Ireland (North City Centre)   |
Ranked #137 of 178 hotels in Dublin
Denver, Colorado
“Comfier than a hostel IMHO”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

In my humble opinion the Hazelbrook House is a suitable alternative to a hostel.

When looking for a place near Temple Bar, I had very limited options as my desired travel time was during the 2012 All-Ireland Football Final in September. Many hotels were either sold out or beyond my price range. I also knew I didn’t want to stay in a hostel again—not for 4 nights!

My travel partner and I agreed that the HH would work since our goal was to do major sightseeing during the day and go out in the evening. We really liked that the location was near O’Connell Street, which is a central hub in the city. Plus, we could walk to and from the Temple Bar area at night; however, we were told by locals that two ladies shouldn't walk by themselves too late, so we ended up taking a cab after the pubs to be on the safe side. :-)

Considering the low price we paid, our stay was a good deal. I haven’t booked many B&Bs in my lifetime, but I assume this one is pretty standard. Yes, the room is quite simply a bedroom…no extra space like a hotel would normally have. We didn't attempt to watch TV, as it was pretty small and didn't have the time. The bed was quite comfy, especially since we had been sleeping on hard mattresses throughout Europe, and the shower worked well. The sink had no pressure though, which made it hard to wash your hands or face in it. The wireless internet never worked while we were there (supposedly it was under construction except for one time); therefore, I did have to visit the internet café around the corner regularly. These are my only hesitations about the place, and if strapped for cash again, I would consider going there once more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This place was alright for a crash pad on a brief business stay, and good for a budget stay in an expensive city. The location is excellent just two streets away from O'Connell Street but still quite quiet.

However it has quite a few shortcomings: my double room in the annex was small (ok for one person but squished for two), and there were no spare blankets provided when it was cold in the night. Breakfast was disappointing - scrambled egg was overcooked and they provide sachets of the worst ketchup I've ever tasted! Wifi in the comfy shared lounge was good and free, but it didn't extend up to the annex rooms, which was a shame.

I would go back given the good value for money, but don't have high expectations!

Room Tip: Annex rooms are cheaper but compact, could be noisy if there are people in the corridors.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

I found this place after hours of searching on trivago for a last minute trip away with my boyfriend.The location is great because you are literally at 15 minute walk to the city centre.The room was very clean and comfortable.The only complaint I would have is that the picture on the cable tv was grainy,the shower water went cold half way through my shower and the on site car parking is terrible as its a garage in a back alley which is hard to find and is very small.Also my boyfriend was not very comfortable with the policy of having to leave your car keys at reception.I would stay here again but I would not bring the car this time.The value for the rooms which range between €49-€69 is worth as breakfast is included though my boyfriend and I chose to for go as we perferred a lie in. However check out time needs to be extended also

• Stayed October 2012
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hazelbrook house is located in an excellent location, a 2-minute walk from O’Connell Street . However to be honest it is perhaps more suitable for backpackers or those planning on a 1 night stay . To be fair it was the cheapest bedroom I could find in central Dublin on that particular night (Sunday 30/09/2012 – All-Ireland Weekend) – circa 70 euro and as is often the case …you get what you pay for…. I might have to stretch my budget a bit further next time!

While the rooms were clean, the decor of the room and bathroom was I’m afraid quite tired. Curtains were shabby and did not keep out the light adequately, the bathroom tiles were chipped and the grooving and shower could do with replacing. The beds were low and uncomfortable while the television was too small and the bedside lamps tired looking.

Breakfast (served between 8-10am) was included but I did not sample it – check out is at the time of 11am. I received a polite phone call reminding me of this at approx 11.30! I paid 1 euro for 30min surfing time on the PC in the lobby – however the Internet connection was very poor and therefore it took an age for pages to load. WiFi however is available for the same price.

Staff were professional and the lady who booked me in was particularly friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

a very friendly and helpful host, a beautiful house, nice and spacious, a bit isolated (use of car necessary).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This a cold place if carpets need to be replaced the wall sockets were fallen off the walls there was a smell of smoke im the room when i opened the door the breakfast was ok and the beds need some new mattress this places is not a places i would every bringing me kids i was sacred that one of them would touch the sockets will never stay at this places again

• Stayed September 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed one night in Hazelbrook House. The room was small, a little dingy, but comfortable. Community bathrooms and showers were CLEAN (very important factor for me). The hotel was secure with 24-hour desk service. The location was conveniently located within walking distance to town center and the tourist center. Also, just feet from a bus stop. Breakfast was very good,and staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hazelbrook House? Share your experiences!