“Dylan review” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 171 Hotels in Dublin
Clonaslee, Laois, Ireland
“Dylan review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night. Overall i found it fantastic. From check in to checkout the staff could not have been more helpful, actually in fairness even prior to check in, before going to the hotel i had a few queries and found reservations extremely efficient at replying to my emails never waiting for more than a day. the hotel is beautiful and friendly staff - i will return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
enniskillen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

this is a fun boutique hotel with friendly helpful staff..our room was beautiful and sooooo peaceful..we were there for my birthday and took in the rugby game at the aviva stadium which is only a short walk away.Breakfast was a great treat and service was fantastic..my only complaint is that we found a cigarette butt on the floor beside the bed and a chocolate stuffed behind a cushion on the sofa in our room.yuk

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed in the Dylan for one night only. Overall the hotel is nicely designed and the service was friendly. I was in room 111 which was a bit on the small side. I also disliked that it was rather dark in the room regardless of how many lamps where on. The room had a walk-in shower which was adequate. Do not expect any views in this room. It is overlooks a tiny internal courtyard - rather depressing. One could easily overhear people on the corridor and if you have a light sleep that might trouble you. While the room was tiny and dark, I enjoyed the cocktails in the bar and the breakfast was satisfying too. Rather than having a huge buffet, it is more an a la carte breakfast. The walk into town is around 20 minutes. If you are lucky enough to be in a different room, I can imagine a stay at the Dylan to be very pleasurable.

Room Tip: avoid 111.
Warrington, Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel on two separate occasions, and it is fabulous. Additionally, we booked the use of the library for corporate purposes. The hotel staff, from reception staff to bar staff, couldn't have been more helpful. The full Irish breakfast was more than plentiful and of good value. I love the idea of this hotel being on a side street, as its location is unexpected. The only comment I'd make (and not a criticism), is wanting to see more 'locals' working in the bar/dining area as this would add to the charm and the whole 'Dublin' experience.

Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The hotel is in a great location and is well designed, with a lovely boutique feel about the place.
The reception staff could not have been more helpful when I checked in, so first impressions were good. However, it does not take long for the issues to bubble up...eg:
- The plug did not work in the bath, so the relaxing soak I had promised myself after a day on the road was only possible by bunging a wet towel down the plug hole
- The shower head was scaled up, so some of the water jetted onto floor (resolved when I cleaned the shower head - but why is that my job?)

The breakfast was very disappointing, as it appeared that there was only a cold buffet. No one offered or gave me a hot breakfast menu until I had nearly finished, so that was a complete waste of money! Why don't they give you the menu when you sit down?

I had a good nights sleep, but for the money, I would expect that. So, overall, a disappointing experience in what COULD be great hotel.

ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Let me state right away that this hotel is in NO WAY FIVE STARS.
To give it four stars is being generous, I would rate it as a very poor four star hotel, but the fact that this hotel claims to be five stars would be a joke if it wasn’t so insulting.
This hotel obviously doesn’t have a clue what five stars is. If they could be sued over their claim to be five stars, I would.
My wife treated me to what she was promised would be a luxurious night in this “five star” hotel and she had been so looking forward to it.
To see her face fall as we walked in to the room made me sad, and then when I saw the dump they had put us into, that made me mad.
There was so much at fault in this horrible place that we best start at the beginning and do the full list.
The first room we were put in was tiny. For €240, the room really was a joke. The walls were all marked with God knows what. The furniture was ragged and scruffy, both lampshades on either side of the bed were not only scuffed, they were torn and actually had gaping holes in them.
The menu holders and room literature was crumpled and covered in various splashes and drips from I shudder to think what. There was splash marks on the bed frame and across furniture.
The bed linen was extremely worn and crumpled. We removed a number of black hairs from the bed, wiped dust from the windows and from the bathroom.
There was a small mirror in the bathroom which hung on the wall broken, facing downwards, it could not be adjusted to be useable.
And the cream on top, my wife specifically requested a quiet room, and yet they put us directly above the reception and restaurant and could hear scraping chairs and banging noises non-stop.
There was no way I was staying in such a dump and told the reception desk I wanted to move rooms.
Before I continue, let’s look back at this room.

Advertised as five stars, I’m sure you will agree this wasn’t even three stars. There was absolutely nothing about this hotel that was five stars and I know I’ve said that repeatedly but I really want to emphasise the point.
I am honestly still incredulous at the state of the room we were given, but this was how the hotel presented to us and was how much they valued their customers.

The front desk lady, Gladys, was very nice, very apologetic and in 15 minutes had found us another room. She came to the room with a member of housekeeping (Gina? Dina?) and I showed her (Dina) what was wrong with the room and she sighed almost with despair and said that yes they knew about the broken lampshades and the broken mirror!!! Really?
Yet they didn’t do anything about them and presented them to the next customers! Us!

Anyway, we were shown to another room which was a bit bigger and was more in line with what we would have expected from a room.

You know a hotel is bad, worse than bad, when you stop looking for faults because you’re stomach is churning as you have already found so many and you don’t want to even see any more.
That was the Dylan.
The upgraded room may have been bigger, but the walls were still marked, the bed linen was worn and un-ironed and incredibly creased and the pillow cases even had mould spores on them!
If my wife hadn’t paid for the room as a treat to me and if we hadn’t planned our whole evening and night around staying here, I would have left and gone home.

The hotels doors don’t have any noise stoppers on them and so ours and everyone else’s banged like an explosion when anyone opened or closed a door.
A minor point after all the others was the amateurish menu left in the room full of spelling mistakes and errors.
I mean, just what is up with this place? It felt like it might have been nice when it opened but it had just stopped trying a long time ago.

We ordered room service breakfast and I am not kidding, after everything I have written, you may think I am making this up, that I’m exaggerating, but I swear I’m not…the breakfast was absolutely foul.
The chap who brought the tray to the room plonked it on the table and left. But hold on, sorry mate, where is the five star service that goes with the five star hotel?
We removed the lids off the full Irish cooked breakfast and the stink that came off the food was stomach churning. There was a pile of hard bacon on each plate, about 4 strips all stuck together in one large disgusting lump. The poached eggs were raw in the middle, the sausage was the cheapest, nastiest sausage I’ve ever eaten (or not eaten), it seems like it was mostly cereal and covered in foul fat. And there were two round hash browns which I kid you not, I spat out back onto the plate as they were absolutely disgusting, just tasted of fat. The whole sorry mess was inedible and we left it. Absolutely disgusting breakfast to go with an absolutely disgusting hotel. Even the fruit salad was just an apple chopped up and a couple of grapes thrown in to complement the browning apple chunks.

This is the worst review that I’ve ever had to write but the hotel was really that bad. It was so bad and there was so many horrible things there that I even wondered was it just us? Were we looking for faults, but no, we weren’t. We work hard, and saved our money and wanted to have a lovely night away from it all and were presented into this sham, this lie about being five stars.
We stayed in the Gibson Hotel in Dublin a few weeks back, for less money and the standard was sooo much higher. We didn’t look for or find any faults with it and had a lovely time from start to finish. There is just no comparison between the Gibson and here.

Gladys must get mention as she was very helpful and is a very good member of staff and any hotel would be lucky to have her. The Dylan Hotel...it may be nice to have a drink or even some food here , but please don't stay...it was just so horrible.

Room Tip: Avoid this dump like the plague. But if you like broken fittings, mould spores, black curly hairs an...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ware, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We went over for the Ireland v England rugby and were fortunate enough to stay in the Dylan. Great location and the staff were very helpful even keeping an umbrella for us as it was very wet. The full Irish breakfast was outstanding!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dylan Hotel? Share your experiences!