“Convenient To Everything - A Very Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel

Save Saved
You added O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel to your Saves list
O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 5 Harcourt Street, Dublin 2, Ireland (South City Centre)   |
Ranked #56 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Chicago, Il
“Convenient To Everything - A Very Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

O'Callaghan's Stephens Green Hotel

We've been fortunate to visit Dublin more than once. We've stayed here before.
We've stayed at Jury's Christ Church on occasion.
While each has its features, O'Callaghan's Stephens Green Hotel has a few more pluses.

Located on the southwest corner of St. Stephen's Green, the hotel is 15 minute walk to St. Patrick's Church and Marsh's Library (you really have to visit this place!), a 5 minute walk to Grafton Street, and the start of the southern line of the Luas light rail system. The hotel sports it's own pub and a delightful dining room for breakfast and other meals. The rooms are functional and clean. We stayed in a twin room on the the 2nd floor at the front of the hotel on Cuffe Street. Traffic noise was inescapable despite heavy drapes. The building's electrical system seems stretched by the needs of current travelers. We tripped a breaker by having an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch charging and attempting to rest the thermostat while watching TV. I know. First world problems.

Breakfast is a treat and a nightcap in-house is as good a way to end the day as any other.

The staff is friendly and efficient and exceedingly accommodating to special requests.

The price was right, the locations swell. In fact, the only complaint is that they just can NOT get the whole wake-up-call thing right. On one try, we got transferred to the front desk of another O'Callaghan's hotel! Either there is no one to answer at the front desk to take the request, or they get the time wrong, or they get the room wrong or they call the wrong room in the morning. This happened twice during our stay, including on our last morning in Dublin. It had taken forever for someone to answer at the desk to take the request the night before. Instead of calling our room in the morning, the desk called another room and but for our waking up on our own, we would have missed our flight home.

There is a 5 to be had. But more care must be taken regarding the essentials. And so, only a 3.5.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Elena_Talpalaru, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Tripcon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Stephens Green Hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards,

613 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was my second visit to Stephens Green Hotel and this time I was on business and not on holiday as I was last summer. The room I was allocated was fabulous with a lovely view over the Green. I had room service for my dinner and breakfast and the attention given to this was outstanding. I received a call mid way through my dinner to ensure everything was ok, I have never in all my travels had this service and I was so impressed . For breakfast I think it may have been the Manager of the Restaurant or Reception who brought it up and again outstanding customer care. With the hotel being right in the centre of Dublin beside all the shops and tourist attractions I would highly recommend this hotel and this is from either a Leisure or Business point of view. 5 stars for service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Elena_Talpalaru, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Marian40,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased that you felt you were well taken care of throughout your time with us.
Please be assured that I will be sharing your words of appreciation with the team.
I look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another memorable stay.

Alnwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

lovely hotel, well located, room was clean and tidy.disappointed that free internet not available.
no cream Friday night so Irish coffee not quite what it should have been
staff pleasant and helpful, Christmas lights on Grafton street were beautiful.

Room Tip: room overlooking the front quieter
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Heather C.,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

Your constructive feedback allows us the opportunity to review and improve upon the hotels facilities and services and I have shared your comments to our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travel plans see you return to Dublin.

dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

First visit to o'callaghan at stephens green, hotel in perfect location just on stephens green at the top of grafton street, very good location for tourist attractions near the green .Check in was very quick and pleasant, room was superb thought I just booked a standard room but I got an executive. Very clean and everything you could possibly need, the only gripe I would have was that for a four start hotel there was no mini bar, like to have a drink whilst getting ready to go out. Bed was very comfortable and room was very quite, lovely nights sleep.
Would recommend this hotel,Yes.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Elena_Talpalaru, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear laurainne,

Thank you for your lovely comments on Tripadvisor.
I have shared your comments with the team in the hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your trip to Dublin, hopefully we will get the pleasure of your company in the not to distant future.

Faversham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Lovely hotel and well located for the city. Room nice and comfy. Little disappointed with the poor service at breakfast time during our three night stay. Table not clean and not made up correctly, no saucer for cup, no teaspoons. Coffee was served after we had eaten and then only after we asked for it and this was after actively walking around and looking for someone to ask. This happened every morning. European staff at reception seemed a little unwelcoming, Irish staff brilliant. Had a meal in the bar which was excellent. Room overlooking the street outside not soundproofed from the merrymakers. Don't normally leave a review but felt strongly enough to leave this one.

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking the street
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear L11NXB,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to post a review on Tripadvisor.

I am disappointed that your stay with us was less the satisfactory.

I have shared your comments with the team in the hotel.

I am confident that we will be able to improve our service levels as a result of the feedback.

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

We returned to the O'Callaghan St Stephens Green, Dublin for our fifth or so visit. The hotel is ideally located, about three minutes walk from the main shops and about ten minutes from the main Temple Bar tourist area. Sadly, on this occasion the hotel and indeed the staff did not come up to our expectations.
Travelling with two others, we asked for a table for four in the breakfast dining area. These tables are away from the glazed dining room looking out onto St Stephens Green in a very dimly lit area. After giving our room number, there was no contact from the waiting staff. No offer of tea or coffee. We made our selections of fruit, returned to our table ate and finished it; still no tea or coffee. I had to find a waitress to ask for some coffee that had to be returned as was Luke warm. There were no tea spoons and we're were told she would "try to find some". I simply took some from an adjacent table. The tables were not laid correctly as there were no knives for side plates. Throughout breakfast, there were no offers of tea or coffee so we had to ask each time. The chair one of our party was sat on was coming apart. I had to point this out as it could have collapsed.
The breakfast provided was self service and whilst limited to an Irish theme, was nice. There was not however any availability of meats, cheeses etc, customary for visitors from other Parts of Europe.
Ofter our first night stay, our breakfast tv was switched off suddenly and showed our room had been allocated to another named guest. I called reception who said they would investigate it and call me back. The callback never came. I spoke to reception after breakfast who advised me the problem had been sorted. However, when I got back to our room on the fifth floor, our room keys would now allow us access to our room.
The next morning we asked for fried eggs. After twenty or so minutes, the waitress appeared to ask if we had been given them. On being told no, she had to go and re-order them. The staff are not in anyway customer focused anymore. Such a shame.
The dining room is in need of some serious tlc. The carpets are badly stained as are some of the chairs which most appear threadbare too.
Our room was, although a little dull (just my opinion of the colour scheme), was clean. The toilet door lock was not useable as the catch was missing. The bathroom itself was fine with good supplies. The bed, two singles pushed together makes a huge double bed that was very comfortable and we were very happy with our room.
Whilst this will definitely not be our last visit to this wonderful city where the people and atmosphere is so fantastic, I fear we will now have to find another hotel as for us, this one has had its day.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ken A,

I am truly sorry your stay with us was marred with such bad experiences.

I have contacted you personally via Tripadvisor as I would like to follow up in person.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed here with friends and the location was perfect just beside St Stephen's green! You can easily walk to all the nicer parts of Dublin in no time, everything is nearby . The staff were very friendly and helpful and lunch in the bar was also good.
The rooms were large and comfortable with very comfortable beds. Some very ugly silicon work done on the bath screen made the bathroom on first inspection seem a bit dated but in fact it was nice, large and clean!
The breakfast was sufficient but nothing special and the dining room had seen better days.
All in all a good hotel in a great location with lovely staff. Prices were reasonable the night we stayed so for the price/ location it's definitely one to recommend

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Anneinmunich,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted you had a nice trip to Dublin.

I am hopeful we will get the pleasure of your company in the coming months.

Dara Cruise

Been to O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel? Share your experiences!