“Location..!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Santiago, Chile
“Location..!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Spent 4 days here, quite a good location, a big chunk of Dublin within 15 min walk, staff was very nice, we had tickets for a Rugby game, they kindly gave us some tips and arranged a Taxi for us.
Hotel and Room was very very clean, only flaw was the toilet paper hanger was loose, near broken, but i don't think thats a big deal.
I'll say that the downpoint is the construction of the hotel, as we were arranged in a interior room so we had to move with our bags from 1st floor, then take the elevator, move trough a hallway where the luggage cart didn't fit, then take another elevator and finally make it to our room.
Kinda sketchy if you forget a last minute thing.
But other than that it's a great hotel and i´ll definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a Room not in the separate building as you'll have to travel trough the second floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Joaquin_cl,

We were delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us here in O'Callaghan's Hotel Stephen Green.

We are in a very fortunate location, we are within walking distance of all the major attractions in Dublin City.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Dublin in the near future.

Dara Cruise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Ottawa,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a week. While the hotel is very well located and has great staff, the hotel itself looks dated and worn. Arriving at the front desk, the lobby just feels like it has no warmth. Both elevators has debris in the overhead lights and one was missing a screw on the elevator control panel all the week I was there. Nothing major, but it did show a real lack of interest in maintaining the hotel. I arrived in my room to find a large room, but one that looked dark. What didn't help is my window looked out 2 meters into another hotel room, needless the drapes were closed all week.The bathroom was very basic white tile and just didn't live up to a 4 star rating. One morning I woke up to find no hot water, so no shower that morning. The restaurant is impressive looking but if you look closely, half the chairs had the cloth worn right through in spots and the wood paneling was worn where the chairs rubbed up it. Breakfast was so-so and never varied all week. Another reviewer said they used powdered eggs, I don't think so but the eggs really weren't all that appetizing.

Another major issue for me was the hotel safe, it wasn't fastened to anything so someone could walk away with the whole safe. This is the first time in 12 years of traveling across the world I've ever not seen a hotel safe not screwed or bolted down. One last point, although WiFi is free I could never get my IPad to work properly. It would find and link to the hotel's WiFi but I could never access anything. I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear LakesideOttawa,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

Naturally I was very disappointed to read your review, you have highlighted some areas we need to focus on, in particular the maintenance around the building and the attention to detail.

I will be discussing your comments with my colleagues in the various departments in order to address these points.

With regards to the Lobby areas, we are fast approaching our 12th birthday, and as a treat to ourselves we are planning a face lift to the ground floor reception, bar and restaurant areas.

On a final note, I am heartened to read you found our staff to be great, thank you for acknowledging this in your review.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Best personal Regards,

Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I chose the O'Callaghan St. Stephen's Green hotel for a short wedding anniversary stay from 15 to 18 November 2011. As soon as we arrived we were warmly welcomed by the pleasant,professional reception staff. We were on our way to our room in a short space of time after having everything explained in a helpful way. The room was spacious with one of the biggest beds I have ever seen! The room was also spotless,especially the bathroom, which was maintained to a very high standard throughout our stay. The room had all mod cons,as you would expect. We really enjoyed the hotel bar and had a night cap there every night following our evenings out sampling Dublin's nightlife. The bar staff provided a pleasant understated service and it just confirmed that we were staying in a quality hotel.The hotel is well positioned right in he centre of the city which made thing's very easy. Breakfast was of a high quality, all the usual Irish fare presented and cooked well. Again the dining room staff were very courteous and helpful. Nothing seemed too much trouble. I must admit that I feel that I am lucky with finding good hotels with helpful staff that understand the hospatility business. This is another that is high on my list. The management and staff definitely know their business.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Garyt00,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read you & your wife enjoyed your time with us here in the hotel.

I very hope I will get the pleasure of meeting you on your next trip to Dublin.

Best Personal Regards.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Wonderful staff, in particular Raed (sp?) who was very friendly, professional, and accomodating. Great service, immaculate and comfortable room, excellent location. I will return there in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Excellent value!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear esperanto8,

Thank you for your heat felt review on Trip Advisor.

Raed Shadi is our night manager, he is a credit to our team. He always receives very positive comments from our guests, thank you for highlighting your experience with him on Trip Advisor.

I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Raed personally.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Personal Regards
northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Looking through some of the reviews here it struck me that it really is impossible to please all the people all of the time. This hotel has an original building and a new extension and I wonder if that is reflected in the reviews.

My partner and I have probably stayed in more than a hundred hotels in this "category" around the world and on a value for money basis we found this one to be well above average. Dublin is an expensive city and I wonder if reviewers are able to compare with similar places - London, Paris, New York, Hong Kong, Brussels . Sydney etc. as we can. Maybe we were undercharged because we certainly pay a lot more for similar quality elsewhere.

We arrived at 1030 on a Friday morning to drop off our luggage and after a very pleasant check-in found ourselves unexpectedly unpacking in our room in the new wing. The room was very pleasantly decorated, the bed was comfortable and all the facilities were as advertised ( safe, tea/coffee making facilities, etc). The bathroom was clean and well equipped with a walk in shower and plenty towels and bathroom paraphernalia. It was unfortunate that after a very cold day wandering around Dublin my partner had that extremely rare urge to soak in a hot bath and there was no bath.

We found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful and the location is superb - a 5 minute walk to Grafton Street and within easy strolling instance of Dublin's main attractions ( including some fine pubs).

I have stayed in many Dublin hotels but will look no further than this one or our next visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SB864,

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your experience here in O'Callaghan Hotel.

We were delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us here in the hotel. We genuinely appreciate the positive comments in the review.

I will be passing them around the hotel to all the team.

I very much hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

we arrived in dublin at 9:00am and thought we would go to see if we good drop our bags off at the hotel as we wanted to go onto the guiness tour.
we were really suprised to find the two rooms that we had booked were ready immediately wow,suprising really considering this was saturday morning on a bank holiday weekend,the rooms were very clean and spacious and the beds really comfortable.
the fact that we could check in so early really made our one night stay in dublin a pleasant one.
we would recomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear stebm1959,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor.

I have passed your comments around the hotel and thanked all the team.

We always strive to have our rooms back as early as possible, if we can check our guest early then it is our pleasure.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My 4th stay at the Stephen's Green hotel was again quiet, comfortable and pleasant. It is the perfect location to access so many of Dublin's activities, sights, and shopping. This recent stay was in a "Jr. Suite" which is spacious by any standard - living room and King bedroom with large bathroom including separate shower and tub. The bedding was comfortable and the bathroom amenities extra nice. Our room service order arrived quickly, hot, and tasty. Our experience in the Magic Glasses bar with drinks and dinner was also with quick, efficient service. The front desk were helpful and friendly.

Don't stay here if you are looking for a grand hotel experience. Stay here if you are looking for a hotel that will be a comfortable place to relax between taking in Dublin's many sights.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors and facing away from the road will be quieter and may even have a nice view.
Dear CK,

Thank you for positing your lovely review, we are delighted to you enjoyed your trip to Dublin.

We are ideally located for all our guests to soak in the wonderful sights & attractions Dublin has to offer.

We are also delighted that your enjoyed our junior suites and found the staff at reception to be polite and helpful.

I very much hope we get the opportunity to you back to O'Callaghan Hotel Stephen's Green in the future.

Dara Cruise

Been to O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel? Share your experiences!