“Excellent hotel, but staff unnecessarily suspicious and roadworks outside rather annoying” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maldron Hotel Smithfield

You added Maldron Hotel Smithfield to your Saves list
Maldron Hotel Smithfield
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Smithfield Plaza, Dublin 7, Ireland   |
Ranked #59 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I travelled to the hotel on the 12/3/14 for a concert at the O2 (Beyoncé) who was playing the same night. On arrival the receptionist was very friendly and helpful, the room was perfect and I could not fault it in anyway, there were no smoking rooms left but they gave us a balcony room which was even nicer in my opinion than a normal smoking room would've been.

However on multiple occasions the receptionists were very uneasy. On around 3 occasions I was asked "are you a guest at this hotel" when enquiring about anything, even 'what is the required checkout time'. As if a non-guest would ask such a question! Seems like that particular member of staff just felt like being awkward for the sake of it. My friend was also treated in the same way, we were then made to present our hotel card to the receptionists/members of staff each time. Sadly, under 21s don't seem to be appreciated in most hotels as this is the second time I have stayed in a hotel in Dublin where the hotel seems to think that just because there are young people staying in the hotel their main aim is to cause trouble, I was spoken to rather dryly and rudely a few times by different receptionists both on the hotel room phone and in person. My 2 friends who stayed in different rooms at the hotel told me also the staff were quite rude to them.
The hotel key cards didn't work numerous times in the lift which left me and my friend stuck for a good few minutes which was quite scary at times.
Aside from this I was generally happy with the hotel, we got taxis to and from the O2 however the city centre is around a 10/15 minute walk which was very handy. After a long tiring night at the O2 however I was extremely annoyed by the fact that at 7 in the morning on both the nights I stayed there, there was an extremely loud drill and small crane/truck outside tarmacking the road.
I understand this is not the hotels fault however it was extremely annoying as it went on for around 2-3 hours.
However I would still recommend this hotel to my friends for it's excellent value and good standard rooms/location.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have very good views
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Amtrayno, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear PeterR265,

Thank you for taking the time to post you comments on your recent stay with us.

I am glad to see on the whole you liked the Hotel but was disappointed to hear about your experience with the staff. We take security very seriously in the Hotel and I am sorry you felt that this was over the top. I can assure your comments will be fully investigated.

I am happy to see you would still recommend our hotel and hope you welcome you back again in the future

Kind Regards

Ann Marie Traynor- General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Finnish first
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

A sound business hotel. Spotless room, everything worked, fast wifi. Staff friendly. Good value for money option and I'll stay there again next time in Dublin. Breakfast was fine. Large supermarket/deli next door if you've forgotten anything.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed here overnight midweek for an event taking place at the Olympia Theatre. This is a good 3 star about 10 minutes walk from O'Connell street. The hotel is also accessible via the LUAS (tram) Red Line.

Staff were very friendly and helpful thoughout my short stay and were happy to order a taxi for me and print a few documents I needed.

Nice, reasonably sized room but I felt it was let down by a poor quality bed. The mattress had an annoying slope toward the centre, so that you tended to end up in the middle of the bed. It's a fairly basic problem that the hotel needs to sort out.

I did not stay for breakfast, so I can't comment on that. There are also plenty of alternatives nearby where you can grab a coffee or a full meal.

Overall, it's not a bad choice and I will certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Arnsberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I did spent my nights in Dublin for several times at the Maldron and the staff was very friendly and helpfull. The hotel is perfectly located in Dublin Citycenter and it is just a short walk either to the Guinness storehouse or the Temple Bar quarter. Jameson Destillery is just 100 meters away but the Hotel is really quiet. The parking garage with very reasonable prices for midtown Dublin (10,00€ per day) can be accessed directly from the Lobby. A supermarket next door is well assorted with fresh food all day.
Ingo Weigt

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Amtrayno, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Ingoweigt,

We are delighted you took the time to post your very nice comments on your previous stays with us here in the Maldron hotel Smithfield.

We are very pleased that our hotel is your chosen hotel when visiting Dublin and hope to welcome you back again very soon

Best regards

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The hotel is beautiful. Upon arrival, I found the staff very friendly and welcoming.

Our room was very spacious and bright. Importantly, both the room and the bathroom was spotless. I liked in the bathroom how they provided you with Dove hand and shower wash. I felt it was a nice touch. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well. We had a little balcony off our room which was a nice touch.

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, but other members of our party did and couldn't praise the food and selection enough. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Considering its location and standard of the rooms it is well worth the price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 737Michelle,

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay with us in the Maldron Hotel Smithfield

The team and I were delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend us

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

kind regards

Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We visit our son in Dublin about 5 times a year, this was our first experience of the Maldron Smithfield (2nd March 2014). We booked online (158 Euro) for B&B for 2 adults. At check in we were asked to pay our bill in full (which should have sent me running). The Double Room (109) is a decent size but the carpet is covered in stains. The bed is hard. The area around the hotel is pretty rough and extra care should be taken at night. We did come across some junkies who although didn't approach us, we were slightly concerned for our safety. Buffet Breakfast was basic and the ingredients seemed to be "cheap". There is no food at the Hotel until after 6.00pm at the weekend. On arrival I put my business card in a bowl (with a chance to win a free nights accommodation) - On departure I removed my card! I cannot believe this hotel has a 4.8 rating in Tripadvisor. I would recommend the Ashling or Gibson Hotels.

Room Tip: Take a room in another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Amtrayno, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Gerrymac2014,

Thank you for posting your review regarding your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear your experience was not as you had hoped.
With regard to payment we do only ask for payment upfront if paying by cash/debit card but if a credit card is provided then guests can pay on departure by any means.

We are in the process of having the remaining of our rooms renovated and hopefully will have them completed in the next couple of months. You will see from previous reviews the feedback on our rooms is very good but the room you mentioned is not yet completed.

I can assure you we use only the best ingredients for breakfast and would love if you could contact me to explain where you feel we fell short on this occasion so I can address your comments. My e-mail address is amtraynor@maldronhotels.com.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Nice city room....pity about the stained carpet. Good comfortable bed and all the bathroom you might need. No way of cooling down the room... only opening the window while we went out for the evening (and left open all night) and turning off the radiator. But it didn't really work too well.
The breakfast room was kind of off putting... but a nearby little 'social enterprise' cafe was a treat and only 100 mtrs away. Not a bad experience - but the report on the hotel says "must strive for better"

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room particularly if you have to open the window
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Amtrayno, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear 34210king,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review or our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to see you found the rooms very warm as February was in general quite a cold month and we had many requests for more heat.

Our breakfast generally scores very highly on all review sites so it is a pity you did not get to try it.

I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Kind regards

Ann Marie Traynor - General Manager

Been to Maldron Hotel Smithfield? Share your experiences!