“Budget traveler looking for a secure place to park, easy way to bus downtown” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ardmore Hotel

You added Ardmore Hotel to your Saves list
Ardmore Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Finglas Road, Tolka Valley, Dublin 11, Ireland   |
Ranked #70 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
skisnowing
“Budget traveler looking for a secure place to park, easy way to bus downtown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

If you are what my title describes, this hotel is for you.

I was looking for a budget accommodation in Dublin where I could park the car and hop on the bus to visit the downtown tourist attractions. This hotel looked like it would work so I attempted to book it on their website. The website wouldn't take my credit card -- not sure why.. when I called the property directly, they were able to book my stay. I imagine this property working well for folks looking for somewhere to crash before a flight out of DUB, too.

This place isn't much to look at on the outside, it kind of felt like i was entering a dorm building from college based on my approach to the entrance. The lobby was nice enough however, and the receptionist who greeted us was very friendly. The elevators were secure, only allowing you to go up or down unless your hotel card was inside the slot within the elevator. Nice security feature -- also present to the door which led to the underground parking facility where guests can park. The parking facility was small though--get there early if you want a spot.

The bus picks up literally steps away from the property.. from there it's a short trip and you're downtown -- really, it's just that easy. Now the hard part, figuring where to get OFF the bus. The bus driver doesn't yell out street names so you're on your own to figure out where to get off. My tip - sit on the upper deck and look for street signs yourself. Whatever you do, save yourself, after watching traffic from the bus while in downtown Dublin -- take the bus at all costs and avoid bringing your rental car downtown (especially if you are from a country who drives on the right side like me!)

We stayed downtown until around 10pm. Beware, when you are coming back the bus may not drop off at the same location it picked you up at -- this may just be something that happened to me, or a bus route i took (i think there are two, 40 and 140 that service this area -- i took the 40 back to the hotel). The bus driver was nice enough to point us in the right direction though after i sensed we had passed the hotel. We had to walk probably a good 1-2km to the hotel.

Wifi worked well. Shower and bathroom were clean. Shower was as hot as we wanted, which was great.. though the shower pressure left us a little disappointed. The hotel provided shampoo, no conditioner.

Please note -- it seems this property has developed a reputation for being cheap accommodations close to the bus route for downtown. In other words, we noticed many people on our bus back to the property who were highly intoxicated taking this bus back to the hotel. Some of these people were rather obnoxious which may make your sleep difficult / if not impossible if you happen to become neighbors with them. Granted we were taking the bus back to the hotel on the night which was considered Ireland's Super Bowl for football -- so this may differ depending on what night you choose to spend in Dublin.

Also note! Based on tripadvisor recommendations I asked for a high room not facing the main road. Its true this would be the quieter side of the building since you're not facing traffic. Also remember there is no central air in this building so if you want a cooler room, opening the window is the only way to do it. Anyway, there is a home behind the hotel that seems to have a couple of dog kennels outside of their home which contained some animals with some horrific barks. We were woken up in the middle of the night on a number of occasions with a bark louder than we've ever heard. Then towards sunrise the bark which was random, loud and dog-like turned into a constant loud and obnoxious rabid dog bark which haunts us even today! Not sure if they switched dog before sunrise or if the dog just started to go crazy when the sun was approaching the horizon. Either way, it creeped us out. In hindsight, the rabid dog bark turned into a joke for the rest of the trip "hey atleast there isn't a rabid dog in the back yard of this new hotel" Lemons into lemonade right?

ALL that being said, we were actually considering booking this hotel again after staying there that first night of our trip, even with the crazy animals.. however, it was full. No worries, we stayed at a lovely B&B just north of the city.

Room Tip: If i had to do it over again.. high room, rabid dog side, hope for the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ArdmoreDublin, General Manager at Ardmore Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at the Ardmore Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, it is a pity that we did not have availability to accommodate you when you returned to Dublin.
It appears from your comments that you did indeed pick one of the wildest weekends of the year to stay with us- from what you say it was the GAA All Ireland Final, in which case I would imagine it was not just the bus to our hotel and our hotel guests that were behaving crazy but the whole of Dublin!! I am glad that you were not affected by the celebrations when you returned to the hotel.
I am sorry that a dog in the neighbourhood disturbed your sleep, unfortunately this is something beyond my control. We are located in an area that is primarily residential which is excellent in most ways, however it also means that we have neighbours who have the right to keep a dog. Usually the dogs barking are not a problem and I am sorry that they disturbed your sleep.
I hope that you are in Dublin again and that if you are you return to the Ardmore Hotel.
As your review said we have plenty of special offers which are really good value and we are very convenient to the Airport.

Donna Curry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Shut out of most Dublin hotels by an important hurling match, I was lucky not only to find a room at the Ardmore Hotel, but also lucky that the prices had not been jacked up to astronomical heights as 19 other hotels I researched had done. And the Ardmore was only minutes away from the hoe of friends I was visiting. The room was perfectly fine, except for no A/C - normally not a problem in cool, misty Dublin, but this particular weekend was unusually warm. Reception sent up a fan as soon as I asked, no problem. I didn't eat in the restaurant because there were tour groups and hurling fans a-plenty, so I had room service breakfast twice, and it was delicious and plentiful. There is free wi-fi and free on-site parking for hotel guests, a big plus. And the room was quiet, because each floor is sub-divided into sections of only 8 to 10 rooms each, with doors blocking off the noise from other corridors. Staff were friendly, and I would definitely go back when I visit my friends again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Ardmore Hotel, thank you for taking the time to write a review. As you say, once the Hurling or GAA takes over the city it is difficult to find accommodation so I am delighted that we were able to accommodate you and that you found the rates to be of good value.
I hope to see you again when you are visiting your friends in Dublin.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend and found the hotel to be great.
The staff were friendly and helpful and our room was clean, comfortable and just right for our weekend in Dublin.
We could jump on the bus for €2.40 each and be in the city centre with 10 minutes!
The breakfast was pretty standard but with a good selection. They made lovely poached eggs on request too!
We are in the bar one night and I thought it was delicious - try the Cajun calimari!
Staying in Dublin can be pricey but we thought this place was a great find and brilliant value - We will certainly stay again in the future!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a nice review of the Ardmore Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that you found Dublin to be an exciting place to visit.
As you mentioned we are a short bus journey from the City Centre so with our free underground carparking it makes sense to leave the car and take the bus.
I hope that you do return to Dublin again in the near future and that you stay at the Ardmore Hotel.

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed here for three nights, everything was PERFECT. The only slight glitch was the room was a little too hot. There is even an ice machine in the lobby. One of the party was disabled and we got a disabled room on request. Quiet, comfortable with very helpful staff.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review of the Ardmore Hotel, I am delighted that you found the hotel to be excellent and to be perfect for your needs.
If you are in Dublin again, I do hope that you will come and stay with us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in September and I did enjoy my stay. Although had a bad experience on check in with one receptionist, the other one was really lovely and solved our issue very quickly. The staff are lovely. The lady serving in the bar was really nice and same with the breakfast staff. Breakfast was nice but a little cold. Very good selection of foods. I would recommend for a city break because of its fantastic location to the city centre.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review of the Ardmore Hotel. I am delighted that overall your stay with us was good and that you found the hotel to be convenient for the City Centre. I am sorry that you found one of our Reception Staff to be unhelpful but am glad to hear that someone else within the hotel was able to resolve your issue.
I hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The airport is only 15 minutes away and the same is the city center. The taxi is about 19 euros to arrive from airport to hotel.
The bus stop is right in front of the hotel, which comes pretty frequently. You can purchase bus tickets at the reception desk. The price is good and the breakfast is abundant.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the Ardmore Hotel and for a very good review score. I am glad that you found the hotel to be of great value and that the location was suitable for your trip to Dublin. As you say we are about 15 minutes to the Airport and City Centre, We can prebook your taxi on departure to the Airport and the rate is set at €19.00.
I hope that you have occasion to return to Dublin in the near future and look forward to seeing you at the Ardmore Hotel.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is clean, accommodating, and a good location. This hotel does not offer any "rustic" or "homey" feelings if that's what you're looking for. We stayed here one night with zero complaints. The hotel is located on a road that buses service frequently and a very short drive to the airport/rental car drop off. There are a few pubs within walking distance. The bathroom had a bathtub which I really appreciated.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ArdmoreDublin, General Manager at Ardmore Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Ardmore Hotel and for your kind comments that it is clean, accommodating, and a good location. We pride ourselves on having well appointed and clean bedrooms. The hotel is indeed within easy access to the Airport and City Centre, there are buses running past the door. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to Ireland and that you return again soon.

Kind Regards

Donna Curry

Been to Ardmore Hotel? Share your experiences!