“Theatre Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane

You added Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane to your Saves list
Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cardiff Lane, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Ranked #33 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Theatre Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Really nice hotel, the location was perfect for the Grand Canal Theatre. We are a family of 4 and had a fine sized room. Staff all very helpful. Parking wasn't the easiest, not the hotels fault. If you are staying at the hotel for a show make sure you book your parking in advance as you may run into problems (Qpark grand canal square I think). Plenty of bars and restaurants locally. I have booked this hotel again for NYE,,,,,,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
conorokane, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear ljh777,

I would like to offer my appreciation to you for commenting on your recent stay at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane this December. I hope you and your family enjoyed the show. I am delighted to hear that you had a good stay with us and that all the team was helpful to you. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on New Years Eve.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Polish first
Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Lovely hotel in a great location for easy access & location to O2.
I brought my 10 & 12 year old for dance show in O2 which was within 10 minutes walk.
Reception staff were welcoming, chatty & informative about parking & hotel facilities. Our room had a double & single & as we each wanted a bed we requested an extra bed which was delivered, set up & made all within 10 minutes by two extremely polite & chatty housekeeping staff who gave us good advice on avoiding breakfast queues with a full house.
We returned from the O2 at about 11pm & had a drink in the lobby. The bar staff were run off their feet & I anticipated the usual long wait at the bar followed by the dead-beat barman...the opposite was the case, they were indeed busy but every customer was met with a smile & prompt service.
Breakfast was at 9.10 as we were told by house keeping that at 9.30 the flood gates open especially on a Sunday morn. Oh boy were they right! But the breakfast staff handled it in their stride, I thought 2 guys checking guests off & seating people was a bit over the top but they moved like they were on roller blades & with a smile & polite witty banter for every guest.
I read a previous post about the lack of fried eggs at the breakfast bar & I made the remarkable discovery that if you ask for 2 fresh fried eggs, you get 2 fresh fried eggs! The morning waitresses were just a dream to encounter, polite, smiley & very good humored.
All in all you can pick holes in any establishment, but when you get staff such as the good people I encountered at the Maldron it makes me think was there anything wrong with the hotel...and to tell you the truth, with all that pleasantness, I can't remember!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Uncletom70,

Thank you for giving feedback on your recent stay at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. It was a wonderful treat to read your review. It is great that you and the children had a lovely experience. I hope you enjoyed the dance show. Please be assured I will pass on your glowing comments to all the team here at the hotel. We all hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Cork, Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed in the Maldron Hotel for one night only Saturday November 30th as we were going to a show in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre. There were three of us stayed there so we got a room with a double and a single bed as they don't do rooms with 3 singles which was ok with us. The hotel was what I would call 'adequate' for our needs just about. Good things about the hotel 1 Its location to where we were going to the show was excellent, its just across the road,2 The complimentary mulled wine in the foyer ( a nice touch) 3.Two extremely nice staff members. One of them was a man called Benny who took our order for dinner and was a really nice friendly man and the other was a girl with a Dublin accent who worked in the bar Saturday evening and served us our sandwiches when we arrived 4Tthe food for dinner which was lovely nice choice and we were also told that if we had ordered 3 courses we might be a bit late for the show which was great. Bad things about the hotel 1 The room was cold when we arrived and too hot in the morning so the regulation of heating should be looked into. In most hotels there are regulators on the wall for air con heating etc, the room was also very basic and the bathroom was tiny but we were only staying one night so as I said it was adequate, 2, The breakfast food was very substandard if Im honest. The sausages weren't very nice and the orange juice was like diluted orange. The fact that you have to put your own toast on also delays everything even though it is mentioned in a sign in the lift that certain times can be very busy. 3. The biggest let down for us was the bar. I stood for almost 15 mins waiting to be served and there didn't seem to be enough staff on to cope with the amount of people in the hotel. I don't mind waiting a bit but at least if someone acknowledged me and said I will be with you shortly it would have meant something. Eventually when I got someones attention the barmaid snapped I will serve you. The guy who was wearing a suit said 'We are very busy' and I said 'I know but this is a well rated hotel'. As a gesture he deducted one of the drinks from the bill but at that stage I was more than annoyed as I could clearly see people being served before me at the other end of the counter. The price of drinks is really expensive but I will allow for that as it's probably in par with other hotels in Dublin. The bar itself lacked atmosphere, there was no music of any kind either background or live music and there was a Christmas party of girls there that resorted to having a bit of sing song towards the end of the night. All in all the hotel was ok for our needs but I wouldn't be going there for any more than one nights stay and only if I was going back to the Bord Gais Energy Theatre

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MLORiordan,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. It is through honest guest feedback such as yours that we can continually monitor and improve the products and services we provide here. I apologize that the temperature of the room was dissatisfactory. It is not a requirement of hotels in Ireland to offer air-conditioning; this said we do have the availability on request of extra portable radiators for those guests who are too cool and fans to help cool down. I am sorry you found our breakfast offering to be substandard and please be assured your comments will be passed onto the Chef and utilized fully. Unfortunately as a city center hotel we do have a large amount of fluctuating business, especially in the bar and restaurant. This being said there is no excuse for one of our team members to snap at anyone and for this I am truly sorry. Please accept my sincerest apologies as this is far from our regular high standards of Customer Care. I would be most grateful if you could call me on my mobile, +353 87 968 2123 as I would like to discuss this matter with you. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with daughters as we were attending Wicked. Hotel was great and just across road from theatre. Very comfortable and staff could not have been more friendly and helpful especially one of the managers Martin. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Aprilgirls,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to comment on you recent stay at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your evening with us. I hope you and your daughters enjoyed the show. Please be assured I will pass on your wonderful comments to Martin and the team here. We all hope we can welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Dublin.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is a business hotel, so don't expecting to be inspired. The hotel has decent service, and clean, working and basic cookie-cutter rooms, comfortable for business travellers who just want to find a good place to sleep after a long day of meetings.

You can see this from its design. The closets in the room do not have doors. There is no fridge and very limited channels on tv. Strangely there isn't even a note pad, and there is this constant low humming tone 24/7 in my room that sounds like I'm staying next to a laundromat. But largely business travellers don't mind these, so it works in that sense, esp. if you can get the room at a corporate rate. And it's not far from the main office buildings.

Here I count its pluses: free wifi, good location (near River Liffy and walking distant to the town centre). Breakfast spread is decent but the items are exactly the same every day, down to where they are placed (it gets boring after a while).

I suppose if you are here for a short-stay, it's ok if you can get a good rate.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
conorokane, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear WeeKee,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am sorry to hear you were not entirely happy with your stay. It is through guest feedback such as yours that we can continually improve the service we provide here. Please be assured that I will pass on your comments to the management team here and they will be utilized fully. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future to show you the improvements we have made.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip. The staff were really helpful, the facilities were good and the rooms were great. The location is great. Could be improved with better toiletries - not a fan of the squeezy soap bottle.

I did not eat here but the food was reasonably priced. If I ever come back to Dublin, I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear tankgirl2008,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay with us here at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff were friendly and helpful. I hope your business trip was a success. Thank you for your recommendation regarding the toiletries, please be assured I will pass them onto the team here. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

I had a 1 night stay at the Maldron as part of a CIE Tour. Clean, comfortable rooms with nice bath, free Wifi, and friendly desk staff. The service in the bar was very slow, but our group was large, and I believe the wait staff was doing their best to keep up. The food in the carvery was outstanding- wonderful Salmon with a lemon cream sauce and fresh vegetables. Great value. I highly recommend as central location for touring lovely Dublin.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Eurogirl 454,

Thanks you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am glad you enjoyed your visit with CIE tours and I trust you enjoyed touring Dublin with them. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the food in the carvery and please be assured I will pass your wonderful comments to the Chef. I am sorry that the service was slow in the bar for your drinks unfortunately with large groups, sometimes it is not possible to attend to everyone as quickly but thank you for your feedback and I will pass it on to the manager to be utilized constructively. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel on your next adventure in Dublin.

Conor O’Kane,

Been to Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane? Share your experiences!