“Top class meal before theatre” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane

You added Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane to your Saves list
Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cardiff Lane, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Ranked #33 of 175 Hotels in Dublin
Newbridge, Ireland
“Top class meal before theatre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We three dined here last night pre-theatre. Our waiter made the meal with his easy manner, great smile and superb service. I think his name was Atid, regrettably I cannot be certain but he held sway over the dining room and appeared to be explaining restaurant standards and practices to another waiter who was shadowing him in between serving meals and taking orders. My dining companions were not aware of the shadowing but I tend to notice most details around the periphery. All was very relaxed and very discreet - a notch above what I would ordinarily expect of a 4 star hotel restaurant. Breads were delicious, freshly baked and good variety. We had duck and lamb followed by desserts. Our request to pay the bill as the desserts arrived just in case we ran out of time for the theatre was accommodated seamlessly. My mother missed the bill being paid to her chagrin and later asked him if he could provide her with the bill :) Nothing was any trouble to Atid. We were left with a pleasant glow as we strolled across the road to the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre in good time to see "Anglo, the Musical".

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
conorokane, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Hello Emeralds,

Thank you for taking your time to leave such a great review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane and recommending our restaurant. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the team that I have here.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Conor O' Kane,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Polish first
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed for two nights. arrived in the morning from the airport, letf our bags at the hotel and walked into town. Checked in fine later in the day, we had three rooms on the top floor. Rooms on the Cardiff lane side have a large verandah, rooms on the other side are larger with a double & a single bed, but no verandah, although some have a 'juliet balcony'.
The verandah rooms would be wonderful in warm weather and a drinkie !

We all found the beds comortable, the rooms warm with plenty of cupboard/drawer space. Basic tea/coffee, ironing board, large mirrors, three chairs and an old style TV.
The bathroom was quite large, modern and clean. A soap dispenser by the basin and shampoo/body wash dispenser in the bath/shower. I can't decide if I prefer separate bottles or not as usually I can't read what is what and have been known to wash my hair with body lotion. At least with the dispenser it doesn't matter, just slap it on !

Breakfast was fine, a selection of cereals, fruits, yogurt, meat, cheese, bread & croissant. The cooked breakfast was 'standard' although there was only scrambled eggs, no tomatoes or mushrooms. But more than enough to keep you going for the day.
The staff were friendly with nothing too much trouble.
Ideally situated for the Aviva stadium, theatre and convention centre, but a bit of a hike into the city centre. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Grenoble, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here a few weekends ago with my girl freinds and i think it was lovely and i would be happy to stay again.
All the staff where soo friendly and helpfull. The bar had a great relaxed atmosphere that night. The room was nice and clean but basic no mini fridge or pretty little soaps to be found.
If you are going to see a show in the board gas theater i would highly recommend this hotel as its less then a 5min walk away from the building. Its only a 15min walk to grafton or o'connels street which have loads of shops!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Cliodhnajoy,

Thank you for leaving such a great review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, I am delighted to see that you and your girlfriend were so well looked after by the staff here.
I will ensure that your feedback is passed onto the excellent team I have here in the hotel.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Conor O'Kane,
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed for two nights with two small children - were put on quiet floor as requested - both of the children immediately unwell - staff could not have been more helpful in terms of extra towels, assistance at breakfast and meal areas .
Cheap parking right across the road , bord gais theatre and pub on corner. 15 min walk to twon and plenty of places to eat at the docklands - Again great staff - well done all and thanks having stayed in great hotels - staff in maldron easily matched them this weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing street - theatre across road
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
conorokane, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Hello MGT Ireland,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane and recommending our restaurant. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the team that I have here. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Conor O'Kane,
Annonay, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at Maldron Cardiff Lane the 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 teens 11 and 14. Overall the stay was nice but we encountered a number of anomalies that disqualify this hotel from the 4-star level:
1/ service at front desk, housekeeping and restaurant: a lot of room for improvement. Smiles missing (not the worst issue you'd think), waiting time at Vertigo restaurant and bar of about 1 hour for 4 simple dishes - to get a salad that looked of having been heated in the microwave oven together with the mashed potatoes
2/ bedding; our son of 11 got a fold-away bed. As picture shows the bed base had more missing spaces than slats (4 slats, 8 gaps). We complained and got a huge improvement of a bed with 5 slats instead of 4. He had to be careful not to fall in the gaps...fortunately the mattress was pretty thick and strong
3/ breakfast. On our first morning, Tuesday, there was a kind of a crisis; the hotel had no more toasts (half way of opening times) ! Apart from this the buffet is decent though it could be better with yogurts and more cakes/pastries for kids
4/ our worst experience was with the fitness/swimming pool.
On our first use the kids were turned away. Gym, sauna and hammam not allowed to below 16. After complaining that we booked 5 nights and nowhere is the information displayed kids were allowed to the gym on an exceptional basis. This is the first hotel were my children - both being licensed in sport all year round - are feused to practice bike or jogging ! Not to forget about jaccuzzi !
5/ room/location/environment
the hotel is 25/30 min by foot from centre of Dublin. This is OK when it does not rain.
Room was quite, not noisy, and there are a few restaurants around the hotel
The hotel provides discount to a nearby underground parking at 12€/24hrs. This is a reasonable price.
6/ Price: we had the Family pack and it is a good deal

I was disappointed that the hotel did not pay more attention to the needs of teenagers.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for business on a Monday. Firstly I agree with all the reviews which say the staff here are friendly and helpful and found no fault with that aspect of my stay. However, beyond that I was quite disappointed.

My room on the top floor was clean and spacious but dated and very basic. For example, the tv is a clunky old set with a small screen which needed a table of its own (we're talking the predecessor of the flatscreen here), there were no extras in the bathroom such as separate shampoo and conditioner (only a mounted squeeze bottle of shampoo/bodywash) and there are no food/drink options in the room beyond basic tea and coffee (a vending machine on each floor sells a limited selection). The room was cold and possibly because it was on the top floor, there was no AC, instead just a radiator that gurgled all night and didn't provide much warmth. Finally internet is available via cable but there is no wifi option, even to buy, so unless you have a laptop your only option is the signal in the common areas (which wouldn't connect the night I was there). Other things were annoying as well, such as the restaurant not being able to charge my meal to the room, equipment in the gym being as dated as that in the room and a bulk standard breakfast service (with probably the toughest bacon I have ever tried to eat).

Overall this hotel is fine if you are working in the area or attending a concert nearby but don't expect luxury of any kind. I think it really needs an update before it is entitled to the glowing reviews on here.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend rooms on the top floor in winter due to the lack of proper heating
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Barcelona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Firstly, be aware that there are three Maldron hotels in Dublin, and I'm pretty certain some reviewers have got them muddled up. This is also confusing when taking the airport link shuttle bus, as the hotel is mentioned three times on the literature. In terms of distance from "the action" its a brisk 30 minute walk to the "book of kells" at Trinity College south of the river, and the edge of the shopping/theatre area. It's also a 30 minute walk to o'Connell street, the main shopping area North of the river. The reviewer who says its ten minutes must have been flying, or having a very good conversation!

Our three day freedom of the city bus tickets did us no favours, as the first stops on the route that were nearest are, you guessed it, the book of kells and o'connell street.

With two teenagers in tow, this walking (and not through a nice area) pretty much dampened our spirits until I decided on taxi's - which are plentiful, but pretty much ten euro a time from here.

True, there are bars and pubs all around, but then, there are in every street in Dublin!

If you want the Bord Gais theatre, the O2 or the convention centre, you're within five minutes walk.

The Maldron is one of those hotels that promises much but delivers little. From no wet kit bags in the swimming pool changing rooms ( and you have to pay €2.50 for the swim hats which are compulsory in Ireland) to the tinned "fruit salad" it was just uninspired and uncared for. The remains of the last room occupiers lunch were still in our room on arrival, which admittedly was earlier than expected, and a kindness on the part of the receptionist to let us book in early.

Don't eat in the restaurant. Appalling, expensive, slow, cold, yeuk. Even breakfast I would have gone for elsewhere if not included on the second day. Bacon and sausage were the cheapest they could source, I think.

Would not return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
conorokane, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hello Liz Cable,

I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention in your review above. I am sorry to see you did not have a good stay with us here in Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane.

Please accept my sincere apologies as this is far from our regular high standards. I would be most grateful if you could call me on my mobile, +353 87 968 2123 as I would like to discuss this matter with you.

Conor O Kane,

Been to Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane? Share your experiences!