“Location,Location,Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane

Save Saved
You added Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane to your Saves list
Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cardiff Lane, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Ranked #33 of 175 Hotels in Dublin
Grenoble, France
“Location,Location,Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here a few weekends ago with my girl freinds and i think it was lovely and i would be happy to stay again.
All the staff where soo friendly and helpfull. The bar had a great relaxed atmosphere that night. The room was nice and clean but basic no mini fridge or pretty little soaps to be found.
If you are going to see a show in the board gas theater i would highly recommend this hotel as its less then a 5min walk away from the building. Its only a 15min walk to grafton or o'connels street which have loads of shops!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
conorokane, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Hello Cliodhnajoy,

Thank you for leaving such a great review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, I am delighted to see that you and your girlfriend were so well looked after by the staff here.
I will ensure that your feedback is passed onto the excellent team I have here in the hotel.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Conor O'Kane,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed for two nights with two small children - were put on quiet floor as requested - both of the children immediately unwell - staff could not have been more helpful in terms of extra towels, assistance at breakfast and meal areas .
Cheap parking right across the road , bord gais theatre and pub on corner. 15 min walk to twon and plenty of places to eat at the docklands - Again great staff - well done all and thanks having stayed in great hotels - staff in maldron easily matched them this weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing street - theatre across road
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
conorokane, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Hello MGT Ireland,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane and recommending our restaurant. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the team that I have here. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Annonay, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at Maldron Cardiff Lane the 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 teens 11 and 14. Overall the stay was nice but we encountered a number of anomalies that disqualify this hotel from the 4-star level:
1/ service at front desk, housekeeping and restaurant: a lot of room for improvement. Smiles missing (not the worst issue you'd think), waiting time at Vertigo restaurant and bar of about 1 hour for 4 simple dishes - to get a salad that looked of having been heated in the microwave oven together with the mashed potatoes
2/ bedding; our son of 11 got a fold-away bed. As picture shows the bed base had more missing spaces than slats (4 slats, 8 gaps). We complained and got a huge improvement of a bed with 5 slats instead of 4. He had to be careful not to fall in the gaps...fortunately the mattress was pretty thick and strong
3/ breakfast. On our first morning, Tuesday, there was a kind of a crisis; the hotel had no more toasts (half way of opening times) ! Apart from this the buffet is decent though it could be better with yogurts and more cakes/pastries for kids
4/ our worst experience was with the fitness/swimming pool.
On our first use the kids were turned away. Gym, sauna and hammam not allowed to below 16. After complaining that we booked 5 nights and nowhere is the information displayed kids were allowed to the gym on an exceptional basis. This is the first hotel were my children - both being licensed in sport all year round - are feused to practice bike or jogging ! Not to forget about jaccuzzi !
5/ room/location/environment
the hotel is 25/30 min by foot from centre of Dublin. This is OK when it does not rain.
Room was quite, not noisy, and there are a few restaurants around the hotel
The hotel provides discount to a nearby underground parking at 12€/24hrs. This is a reasonable price.
6/ Price: we had the Family pack and it is a good deal

I was disappointed that the hotel did not pay more attention to the needs of teenagers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for business on a Monday. Firstly I agree with all the reviews which say the staff here are friendly and helpful and found no fault with that aspect of my stay. However, beyond that I was quite disappointed.

My room on the top floor was clean and spacious but dated and very basic. For example, the tv is a clunky old set with a small screen which needed a table of its own (we're talking the predecessor of the flatscreen here), there were no extras in the bathroom such as separate shampoo and conditioner (only a mounted squeeze bottle of shampoo/bodywash) and there are no food/drink options in the room beyond basic tea and coffee (a vending machine on each floor sells a limited selection). The room was cold and possibly because it was on the top floor, there was no AC, instead just a radiator that gurgled all night and didn't provide much warmth. Finally internet is available via cable but there is no wifi option, even to buy, so unless you have a laptop your only option is the signal in the common areas (which wouldn't connect the night I was there). Other things were annoying as well, such as the restaurant not being able to charge my meal to the room, equipment in the gym being as dated as that in the room and a bulk standard breakfast service (with probably the toughest bacon I have ever tried to eat).

Overall this hotel is fine if you are working in the area or attending a concert nearby but don't expect luxury of any kind. I think it really needs an update before it is entitled to the glowing reviews on here.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend rooms on the top floor in winter due to the lack of proper heating
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Barcelona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Firstly, be aware that there are three Maldron hotels in Dublin, and I'm pretty certain some reviewers have got them muddled up. This is also confusing when taking the airport link shuttle bus, as the hotel is mentioned three times on the literature. In terms of distance from "the action" its a brisk 30 minute walk to the "book of kells" at Trinity College south of the river, and the edge of the shopping/theatre area. It's also a 30 minute walk to o'Connell street, the main shopping area North of the river. The reviewer who says its ten minutes must have been flying, or having a very good conversation!

Our three day freedom of the city bus tickets did us no favours, as the first stops on the route that were nearest are, you guessed it, the book of kells and o'connell street.

With two teenagers in tow, this walking (and not through a nice area) pretty much dampened our spirits until I decided on taxi's - which are plentiful, but pretty much ten euro a time from here.

True, there are bars and pubs all around, but then, there are in every street in Dublin!

If you want the Bord Gais theatre, the O2 or the convention centre, you're within five minutes walk.

The Maldron is one of those hotels that promises much but delivers little. From no wet kit bags in the swimming pool changing rooms ( and you have to pay €2.50 for the swim hats which are compulsory in Ireland) to the tinned "fruit salad" it was just uninspired and uncared for. The remains of the last room occupiers lunch were still in our room on arrival, which admittedly was earlier than expected, and a kindness on the part of the receptionist to let us book in early.

Don't eat in the restaurant. Appalling, expensive, slow, cold, yeuk. Even breakfast I would have gone for elsewhere if not included on the second day. Bacon and sausage were the cheapest they could source, I think.

Would not return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
conorokane, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hello Liz Cable,

I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention in your review above. I am sorry to see you did not have a good stay with us here in Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane.

Please accept my sincere apologies as this is far from our regular high standards. I would be most grateful if you could call me on my mobile, +353 87 968 2123 as I would like to discuss this matter with you.

Conor O Kane,
Rushden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Maldron, Cardiff Lane for 3 nights of the school half-term. We went with friends and took our 17 year old boys with us. Neither family had visited Dublin before but had been told that it was a friendly city. On arrival at the hotel we left our suitcases and then walked into town. It was a 10 minute walk along the River Liffey making the hotel well placed and in a quiet area. The hotel itself was very clean and all staff were very friendly. Our room overlooked a courtyard between nearby offices and so was always quiet.On the first night we realised that we only had two towels so a quick phone call to housekeeping soon remedied that. We went to the spa with our boys and that too was very clean and although we didn't visit the gym, could see that it was well-equipped. Staff in the spa were very helpful too. We enjoyed a good breakfast each morning and couldn't fault anything. I asked for poached eggs instead of scrambled and they were cooked for me. The menu for other meals looked to be quite pricey so we ate in the town each night at different pubs and enjoyed some very good food. We would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel as the front is opposite the theatre.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hello Julie C,

Thank you for taking the time to review Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane.

I am delighted to see that you, your friends and sons enjoyed your recent stay with us here.
I will ensure that your lovely feedback is passed on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you all back in the near future for your next trip to Dublin.

Conor O' Kane,
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Recently took my girlfriend for a birthday weekend getaway, hotel was conveniently located just across the river from the Convention Centre where the Airlink bus stops and from the hotel it was just under a mile to walk to O'Connell Bridge. Can't really speak for the hotel facilities (bar, spa, gym, etc.) as we didn't use them, but the rooms we spacious, clean and well-maintained and the free wi-fi was a great addition (particularly for anyone with the TripAdvisor phone app!). Staff were friendly when we needed to ask them anything and although we didn't make use of the Hotel breakfast I can definitely recommend Munchies Cafe just around the corner. A hotel a little bit closer to the centre of town would have been nice, but for the (very reasonable) price I really think this offered the best experience and value for money

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello JamesRLH,

Thank you for taking the time to review Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane.

I am delighted to see that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your weekend getaway with us.
I will ensure your lovely feedback is passed on to the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future for your next weekend getaway.

Conor O'Kane,

Been to Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane? Share your experiences!