“Pretty good. Lose the Internet fees.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 20% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #75 of 175 Hotels in Dublin
New York
“Pretty good. Lose the Internet fees.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

It's the 21st century now and free wired/wireless internet is a staple in even the dinkiest hotel chain. Why is this place wired up to gouge travelers - especially those who have to check with their airlines and others constantly for the latest information? And especially when you're on a business trip and the accountants give the bill the once-over ...
Anyway, enough with that rant. About the hotel itself - the key here is to sign up early for the shuttle service. When you check in, or even earlier if possible. Those shuttle vans fill up early. The hotel is a 10-minute drive away from the airport, through all sorts of shortcuts. But once you're there it's not a bad place. The Hilton Dublin Airport hotel is at the edge of a new community [Northern Cross] that's sprung up in the past year or so. In about another year the hotel will be a 5-minute drive, 15 minute walk from the DART [rail transit into Dublin] at a new station that's now under construction.
The rooms are roomy and clean, with all the stuff needed for a short stay. I was able to check-in early which was a true bonus. Just don't get a smoking room. There are still those types of rooms available, you know.
The attached restaurant isn't bad, with all sorts of flat-screen TVs to watch what most of the world calls football .... and cricket ... and hurling ... which is NOT what happens when you mix Guinness with a bad oyster. If you wanted some groceries or at least fresh fruit there's an attached supermarket, too.

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I stayed here for 3 days recently as I was attending a wedding in nearby Portmarnock. My worst Hilton experience...ever and I could not possibly recommend this hotel to anyone else.

First of all, we were given poor directions to the shuttle from the airport and missed the shuttle, leaving my pregnant wife and I standing in the rain, until we caught a cab. This was repeated a few days later when we were given the wrong street (as marked & written on a map by the receptionist) for a bus back from town.

The hotel is about 15 minutes drive from the airport and is used by various airline crews, other than that it seems almost exclusively a stop off for locals on the way to the airport for early flights. It is certainly far too far from Dublin city to be convenient for the town. Also if I had known how bad it was going to be, I would have stayed in Malahide or Portmarnock for the wedding or if we go back to visit relatives there.

On arrival, I wasn't welcomed at all, but did note that my room card did say I had been upgraded - nice, considering that I got exactly the room and breakfast I booked and paid for. What I didn't get was the 1000 HH points I had as my Gold VIP preference - which I'll now try and get.

OK, that's minor. The room was average, although a 'suite' it was more of a functional, beige business room than anything else but otherwise clean. I could envisage meetings being held here with clients. Unfortunately there was a window leak which left dirty water all over the window sill and on the carpet when it rained. I found this out by stepping in it in my socks when I went to close the curtains....yuk.

However, the very worse thing is the noise. I don't think we slept properly in 3 days and unfortunately were unable to move. This hotel is on the junction of two main highways and the noise is exceptional all day and all night. Being on a junction, you of course get not just the driving by noise, but all the gear changing and 'boy-racer' squealing tyre starts too. The rooms face right on to this and there is virtually no soundproofing from it. You may fare better with odd numbered rooms which are on the other side of the corridor. If that wasn't bad enough, then the smoking area and cab pick up point is also outside the rooms - which means that during private functions you get all the singing, shouting, swearing, laughing etc into the early/mid hours of the morning. I had to phone reception twice at 2am.

I did mention all this very politely to the receptionist on leaving who shrugged and said how sorry she was and nothing else.

In summary, I would only suggest this hotel is used by those living in Southern Ireland who need to catch an early flight, in which case I'd still have a look for somewhere else. It's not a place to stay, IMHO, if you are visiting Dublin (30-40 mins away by road at least) or friends in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

Although I live relatively close to the Hilton, I decided to start my recent holiday early with a one night stay there before an early morning flight. I have stayed in Hilton hotels before and this one did not disappoint. I had to leave before the breakfast service started, so cannot comment on the breakfast, but I have never stayed in a Hilton where the breakfast was not great.

The rooms are quite big and I was surprised at how quiet they were. The Hilton is on a very busy main artery into Dublin and although I had a room facing the road, I could not hear the traffic. The staff were without exception helpful and friendly.

I dined in the hotel restaurant (Burrell's) and was very pleased with the service.
I enjoyed myself so much that I intend going back there some night just to stay there for a bit of pampering.

Make sure to book your place on the shuttle bus to the airport with the concierge, as they fill up quickly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Linz, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Pretty new Hilton with all the Service you expect there located some 25 minutes by bus from the city center. Airport shuttle runs whenever you need it and it takes approximamtely 10 minutes to go there.
Breakfast is really good, typically Hilton...
All in all a nice weekend stay for sightseeing.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Stayed here for a night on my way back to the US. Catching the shuttle at the airport was not a problem, but it was only a seven-seater van and some of the people waiting had to stay behind and wait for the shuttle to return. There was a larger van in the hotel parking lot but it wasn't being used. Shuttle in the morning left 15-20 minutes late as one of the booked guests did not show up.

Room was standard and was fine, however the A/C was very loud. Television had a stingy assortment of channels, not a big deal but as you are likely spending a quiet night here before or after a flight a few more options would be nice.

I had dinner in the bar area and breakfast in the restaurant and both were good.

Wake-up call did not arrive in the morning...was not a problem for me as it wasn't terribly early and I was already up but that is pretty bad for a hotel where people have flights to catch.

Overall it was okay but it's pretty easy to get to the airport from the city center and unless you get a great rate or have a really early flight it's probably best to stay in town.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

Stayed for one night before a flight in the run up to Christmas. Staff were friendly. Room was very comfortable, but what impressed me most was the food. The restaurant was exceptional value for the quality of the food in comparison to other Dublin hotels. I understand people saying that it is not at the airport, but it is less than 10 minutes away on the free shuttle.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

Fairly 'average' and typical airport hotel. Rooms, facilities, restaurant etc are all pretty decent but, like most 'airport hotels' it's pretty much a rip-off given that there are much better alternatives in Dublin. The whole 'airport hotel' price gouging just isn't something you need to put up with in Dublin (on top of a high nightly rate, all internet here is extra 20 euros/day which is ridiculous given that most decent hotels in Dublin it's free or minimal charge).

I would not recommend ever staying here because in Dublin, unlike many other cities (e.g. London) the airport is close to the city center with easy access to the many hotels in that area. So, even if you have an early flight or something I don't really see why anyone would ever stay here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!