“My First Impression Of Ireland” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From €73
Ranked #73 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
“My First Impression Of Ireland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Ireland has always been on my bucket list and arriving into Dublin at around lunchtime after an extremely long-haul flight from New Zealand - I was bound to be a little jetlagged. What I was hoping to get was a ‘warm Irish welcome’ ... but instead the young lady who greeted me on my arrival at the hotel simply snapped at me and said " Your room isn't ready – it’s not check in time yet " ! She then completely ignored me while she attended to the small airline crew that had arrived at the same time as me. Once she had looked after them she glanced back towards me and said " I can store your luggage if I wanted to come back in a few hours .. The room would probably be ready then ". To say that the receptionist was not particularly friendly, is an understatement – in her undetectable eastern european accent, she told me again that it was my fault because I had arrived too early.
I asked if there was another room available, and she told me that " I wouldn't like it - because it was a disabled room" ... but I was keen to get settled and asked if I could be allocated that room instead of waiting another couple of hours. At that point - she never spoke another word, and just cut the room key and handed it to me. No instructions on what floor the room was located on, or offer of assistance with my luggage, not even any explanation about the hotels facilities. That was my first impression of Ireland - but as a seasoned traveller I do like to remain open-minded and the remainder of my stay did improve. ( well slightly ) The breakfast is 5 star ! The service and the food - amazing ... one of the best Hilton Breakfast's that I have had. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. My only feedback was that on 2 separate occasions I returned to my room to find the door slightly ajar ( and not locked ) I spoke to the assistant manager on duty who did kindly offer to move me to another room because he confessed to me that after the housekeeper’s have cleaned the room - they need to pull the door shut or it does not lock. I opted to stay in the room and left a note for the housekeeping staff each day to please ensure that it had closed. I stayed for 4 nights and hired a car for 3 of those days, expecting to be charged for car parking on departure - but was told that there were no charges on my account? Not sure if this was an oversight / or the hotel's way of apologising. There was no free internet or business centre - unless you had a laptop or iPhone, so I waited until my next destination as I was not prepared to pay the expensive internet charges on the lobby terminal. Overall the location is OK – thank goodness for the satellite navigation in my rental car.
There was a couple of real genuine team members that made me feel welcomed. The young man on the desk - who gave me directions into Dublin on the local bus service and the airport shuttle bus driver were so helpful it more than made up for the initial bad impression. If I have the opportunity to stay here again - I definitely would as overall it was a good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the main road.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

1,005 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Claremorris, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a really top class hotel offering wonderful service from a diligent staff.The hotel from the lobby to the bedrooms is second to none.The bedrooms are spacious and very clean serviced by a beautiful restroom.Will return here in the future without doubt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Carlow, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stay in this hotel a lot when I have early morning flights from Dublin.
The hotel isn't as close to the airport as others, but they have covered secure parking at a competitive rate.
Hotel staff are usually very friendly and the service is fine.
The rooms are of a reasonable size and I can't really think of any downside to it.
If you're staying there and need to get the shuttle to the airport remember to book in advance - it can be very busy!

Room Tip: If you're a smoker they still have smoking rooms on the 5th floor - ignore what the Hilton site...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My mother and I stayed for just one night before hoping on a plane back home. We had the most amazing/kind/friendly/knowledgeable/sweet/etc. driver, Shawn! In just ONE night he made us feel so welcomed! They have a service to take visitors to the a local village, Malahide. He took us to see the Malahide castle and to the village. It was great. We couldn't have asked for a better end to our 2 week vacation. This hotel is very nice and clean (as all hiltons are). The breakfast was delicious and this Hilton is directly across the street from a Tesco (which is a large super market). All in all a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had originally planned on staying near the city center, as I was only in town for 3 nights. I got such a great price for this hotel it was worth potentially having to take taxis. I only took a taxi once, I used the bus the rest of the time. The bed was not the best nor the worst. Breakfast was a good variety and the bar food was reasonably priced. I would recommend this hotel if your not the type to return to your hotel frequently during the day. I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Missoula, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I finished a week of touring Ireland by staying at the Hilton Dublin Airport hotel. I paid (when booking online) for an upgrade if available. It was worth every cent! Our room (suite) was very large, clean ( it passed my wife's clean standards which are high) with lots of windows. Our stay was quiet even though the hotel is on a busy road - no road noise. The staff were helpful and friendly. We had dinner in the dining room and it was very good. Breakfast was fresh and filling with good variety. The free morning paper and shuttle service (pick up and return) is part of the room cost. The driver (Shawn) was friendly and quite helpful. We'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Consider the upgrade feature if offered
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dryden, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We unfortunately must agree with other Trip Advisor reviews about this "Hilton" hotel- terrible mattresses; rude customer service; promised by the manager a pre-paid non-smoking room only to find we had to accept a room with twin beds; shuttles that must be pre-booked (which we did) and only go to the airport every 45minutes.... this hotel has great potential but does not come close to being a "Hilton" hotel....wonder if any Hilton execs have tried to sleep on their low quality noisy-spring mattresses, or waited at the airport for close to an hour to be transferred to the hotel...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!