“Staff seem suicidal” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley

You added Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Liffey Valley Complex | on the M50/N4 intersection at Liffey Valley, Dublin 22, Ireland   |
Ranked #96 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin
“Staff seem suicidal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed here for one night, the weekend before Easter. Firstly, the positives: I booked this hotel on the basis that it had a kids pool, and this was excellent. The Room was quite large - double bed, single bed and a table with chairs. Kids eat free on Sundays, when an adult is buying a main meal - all good for families.

The negatives:
the mattresses were really soft - very uncomfortable
there were areas of the spa(tiles), which looked visibly dirty
every member of staff we encountered during our stay seemed depressed, except one girl on check out. This was really off putting. A smile now and then, wouldn't go amiss...
The room was way too hot. Even when I turned off the radiator, I had to open the window, and given that it's next to the M50... this didn't leave to a good night's sleep
Breakfast is self-serve, which is fine but they need to be quicker at providing tea/coffee. I waited 10 minutes to get mine.

The food in the bar and for breakfast was okay - not amazing, but good value.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Roman H, Manager at Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear evilone,
Thank you for your review and pointing out the issues you had with your stay as this helps us improve our services. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your night due to the temperature, I understand how unpredictable the weather could be. We are also replacing all the mattresses, so next time you're visiting I'm sure you will sleep much more comfortably. And about our staff, you must have caught us on a very bad day, because we are usually nothing but smiles. Never the less this should never happen and I do sincerely apologize.
Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Greek first
Limerick, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is not a 4 star hotel and is overpriced for what you get. Our room was a suite with chunks gone out of the furniture and old cigarette burns on the bedside furniture. 4 star hotels do not have chunks out of furniture or large cracks in the tiles in the bathroom. The room was large, breakfast was a bit of a dog fight but ok, and the location was okay for us. But I am looking for a more for my money and this hotel did not offer the standard I would expect of 4 stars.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear IrelandFirstClass,
Thank you for your review. We are aware of the wear and tear that is showing on our equipment and are in the process of replacing all damaged or old furniture and carpets. We are trying our best to keep improving our hotel and I'm sure next time you come visit you will be happy with the results. Once again thank you for your time and hopefully see you again soon.
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I stayed here on the direction of a colleague to save a long drive through Dublin city centre in the rush hour. Check in was reasonably friendly and efficient. However, I'd booked a double room because I really don't like single rooms in hotels - they tend to be very small - but found my otherwise large double room also had a made up single bed crammed in, which was very annoying. It was also depressing to see a large brown stain on the pillow on the single bed, which must have been easily visible to whoever made up the bed. If I'd needed the single bed for a child, I'd have been very disappointed.

The room otherwise was OK, except the bathroom floor was one of the most unpleasant I've ever seen - hard, matt, rough grey tiles, which showed the dirt very badly.

I didn't eat in the hotel, but in the nearby Arc pub, which was adequate. A colleague and I then had a brief drink in the hotel bar, which was noisy and had numbers of children running around.

The stay was then rendered even less appealing by the fire alarm going off at 02:30 in the morning. Fortunately it went off again very quickly but by then the damage had been done.

So overall, not a great stay and I'd not choose to stay here again unless I absolutely had to - there are far too many nicer hotels in the centre of Dublin at comparable prices.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Roman H, Manager at Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent stay at the Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley. I was most disappointed to learn of the issues you encountered during your stay with us. I passed your comments to all relevant teams as this is poor representation of our efforts. I hope you will decide to visit us again soon to give us chance to show you our real standards.
Duty manager
galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Everything you need for kids fab kids pool. Kids club on holidays teenage games room. Food nice and not too expensive. Kids playground on sight. And right beside shopping centre with a cinema and pirates village kids loved it. Bus stop 5 mins walk that brings you into the city.

• Stayed April 2014
Roman H, Manager at Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear becksgalway,

I'm happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to you and your family here again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed in the Clarion for one night with our two small kids . Had to wait a bit at check in because there where only two people at reception and they had to answer also the phone in the back office . In front of us was a family with two kids that had booked a double room , they insisted their kids could sleep in their bed with them ( 8 and 10 years ) and they did not want to pay extra for a bigger room . That scared me of cause we also had two kids ( 2 and 8 month ) . They offered us a room with 3 beds for no extra cost . Room was of good size , beds comfy and bath with plenty of hot water , clean room and bathroom . Pool was fantastic , clean changing area with extra cabins for changing , playpen to put small child in while you change . Daughter loved the pool ( plenty of kids as it was start of Easter Holliday ) . Now to come to what we didn't like : As my husband and I are both chefs we know about food . We checked the restaurant menu and it was very basic and quiet small . We decided to eat in the Kudos bar witch has Asian menu . We had the combo starter for two witch was ok . However the mains where horrible . Husband had fish cakes for main ( 4 burned fish cakes with a tiny bit of cold noodles ) , he said they where tasteless too . I had duck in some kind of Asian sauce with noodles . The noodles had no taste at all while the Asian sauce was soo salty that you could barely eat it . Was better when you mixed it with the pasta . Kids food was ok . Our waiter was very nice and helpful . What made me so angry about the food was that it was not busy at all and a kitchen in a hotel of this size should do better when quiet . Spoke to the waiter and he offered us free coffee . Again he was very nice . We would definitely come back as it's great for family's with reasonable prices , a great pool and clean rooms . There is a shopping centre near by with restaurants so we would go there to eat next time .

Stayed April 2014
Dear LucyLeonidas,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review on trip advisor. I am very happy that you enjoyed your recent experiences with us-with the exception of dinner in the bar. I've passed your comments to our head chef to make sure this is not repeated. Thank you again.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My family stayed last night and had dinner there. We had a nice, clean family room and enjoyed out dinner very much. Our waiter was outstanding (as were all the staff) and we had a peaceful sleep. It has a fantastic mall nearby and is fairly close to Dublin city centre.

Overall we were very impressed and though we don't use hotels a lot we will be booking it again soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Roman H, Manager at Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Neil G,

It gives me great pleasure to see that our efforts don't go unnoticed and that you liked our stay. Thank you and see you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed here for an event our company was having. The evening meal was lovely, nothing spectacular but well prepared and tasty. We had arrived late so only made dinner with minutes to spare. Not sure if waitress/kitchen were too impressed with the late order but they took it and we enjoyed the food. Barely saw the room but it was clean and comfortable. Missed breakfast the next day so we all had lunch. I had the anti pasto plate and I have to say it was one of the best I've ever tried. All in all hotel was excellent value and without doubt we will be holding next years event there on the basis of this years service.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Dee M,

I'm glad to see you were happy with our service and hope to see you here with us in near future.

Best regards
Duty Manager

Been to Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley? Share your experiences!