“Great Hotel Ruined by Horrible Staff” 2 of 5 stars

The Beacon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beacon Court, Dublin 18, Ireland   |
Ranked #14 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Chicago, IL
“Great Hotel Ruined by Horrible Staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

The Hotel and the rooms at the hotel were wonderful. The bathrooms were the best out of any otel I have ever stayed at. The MAJOR problem that I had with the hotel was the staff. The people at reception were very friendly but did not know what they were doing. A few hours after my stay I found out that the hotel double charged me for my stay. I called reception which forwarded me on to a manager. I explained the situation to him and he said that He would look into it and call me back. A few hours later he called back and agreed with me that he overcharged me, and that the hotel owned me a refund. However he refused to refund me the money until he talked to the staff member who double charged me to "ask why they charged me twice." The manger and I both agreed that I was double charged, and we both agreed that I was owed a refund of the overcharge. I explained to the manager that waiting a few hours for the employee to return to work to question her before issuing a refund that I was owed was unacceptable. He would not budge and refused to issue a refund until he spoke with the employee. I then asked the manager what would happen if the employee in question was on vacation or died on the way to work... would I never get the money back because he would never be able to speak to her again. He finally gave in and sid that he would of course issue a refund. In the end the hotel did end up issuing a refund a day later, only after he called the employee in question at home.

This is just one example of horrible service that I recieved not only at this hotel, but at every other hotel i stayed at on vacation in Dublin. It is a shame that such a beautiful hotel is being ruined by poor(at best) customer service.

• Liked — The Bathrooms were Great
  • Disliked — The staff at McDonald's would be better
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
tipperary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

As a surprise for my Birthday my partner booked a weekend at The Beacon Hotel. It was just what i needed after a hetic week at work. From the moment i walked into the "wow" factor lobby i knew that he had chosen the right hotel. The reception staff were so friendly advising on all the things to do in the area; going to the races, dundrum shopping centre, the amazing beauty salon beside the hotel. Unfortunatley there were no races on but we did visit Dundrum shopping centre located only 15 minutes away by the Luas. Very handy!!!!
Bedrooms are huge & bright & airy & modern. The bathroom was also great with powerful showers & a free-standing bathtub. On the first night we had dinner in My Thai Restaurant. The food was so good we definatley over indulged & ended up rolling out of the restaurant to the bar on both nights. The bar is out of this world. They have a huge cocktail menu & the barmen look like they just stepped out of "Cocktail" with all their tricks. The music was really funky. They also have an outside area for smokers. One of the managers mentioned that this was getting a facelift & the plans sound amazing!!!

I had such a good weekend at The Beacon & have already booked to return!!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

Had a 1 night stay at the Beacon Hotel (a saturday night) - I won't be visiting again. The reception area is all modern & funky & on saturday night turned into the bar/dj area - far too noisy to have a conversation with reception. Our room was on the first floor directly above this which meant no sleep till the early hours when the music stopped but then we had loud people outside the hotel.

The bathroom has a part frosted - glass wall with sliding door which isn't very relaxing. The sink leaked. The marble surrounds by sink had dryed in water stains.

The t.v. was so far away from the beds, when someone was using the shower or flushing a toilet you couldn't hear the t.v. The white leather seating needs a little clean as scuff marks are showing.
Also like another reviewer - you feel like everything is for sale in the room & I wasn't happy with check in to be asked for a pre-
authorisation on my credit card to cover price of the room & 50 to cover the mini bar....no mention was made of the mini bar deposit until i questioned the amount on the visa machine.

I have stayed at quite a few 3/4&5* hotels that are much better value & much more friendly towards the customer. Save some money & stay somewhere else.

• Liked — the breakfast
  • Disliked — The noise from the Reception area which meant no sleep
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Co. Limerick
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2008

Stayed in this hotel for one night in January during a quick stop over in Dublin. On arrival to the hotel found that as it was late in the evening there was music started in the bar/reception area. It seemed strange to be checking in in such a noisy reception area and would have preferred if the desk had maybe been located elsewhere. When we got to the desk we were advised that as we were paying with laser that there would be a deposit required of 100 euro, along with having to pay the rate upfront. I thought it was perfectly reasonable to pay the room rate but found the 100 euro deposit over the top and quite impersonal. It showed that they did not trust the guests from the outset and i think it would deter me from booking again. The room was nice if not a bit small and i was happy that my request for a quiet room had been taken care of. However it wasnt the cleanest room i've ever stayed in. There was a lot of water marks left around the sink and bath areas and the mirror was also a bit dirty. There seemed to be a lot of effort put into the design of the rooms but its a shame that the cleaning isnt as important though.
Another thing that i didnt particularly like was the feeling that i was staying in a shop and not a hotel room. There were items laid out around the room that were for sale eg. CD, slippers, bathrobes, umbrella, book etc. I was half afraid to touch anything in case i would be charged for it especially after already paying the 100E deposit upfront. Overall not a bad hotel but I have stayed in numerous other 4 star hotels in dublin and around the country and would rate this one last out of them all as regards service and hospitality.

• Liked — Location close to Dundrum Shopping Centre
  • Disliked — Service and Staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

Stayed in the beacon for one night with my fiancee, which was ruined by unpleasent, unprofessional, inexperienced staff. this was our second stay at the beacon and both times had problems with the front desk staff.

We paid 130euro cash for the room at ceck in, but then were abruptly told that without a credit card we must also pay 150euro saftey deposit! ridiculous! neither of us has our credit cards with us, as it was just a short stopover, we explained that we where on a tight budget and 150euro was our money for our meal and a few drinks, but too no avail, we where rudely told that if we did not pay up, we could not stay there, that we could go elsewhere!

So we paid the deposit and were then sent to an uncleaned, just slept in room, we had to treck back down to reception and change rooms.

But the worst was yet to come! at check out the next morning, we were told by a different staff member that there was no record of us paying the 150 deposit! that the first man should of printed us a reciept!!! after a half an hour of scrutinizing and explaining, we finally saw our money again.

This disaster was purely a case of inexperienced, uncaring staff, who consequently managed to ruin our weekend.

• Liked — nice meal
  • Disliked — Rude reception staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

We loved the rooms and decor of this hotel, as well as its sister, The Morgan, in Dublin. Only problems were the sketchy neighborhood that you have to walk through to get to the train that goes into Dublin. Also, there isn't anything to do in the neighborhood. But it's a great place to stay if you want to save a little money and lodge outside of the city.

• Liked — The glamorous lobby and guest rooms
  • Disliked — Neighborhood was rough around the edges
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Beacon? Share your experiences!