“Mediocre, as Expected” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Adelphi Guesthouse

You added Adelphi Guesthouse to your Saves list
Adelphi Guesthouse
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   68 Lower Gardiner St, Dublin 1, Ireland (North City Centre)   |
Ranked #101 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
Sacramento, CA
“Mediocre, as Expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

We stayed at the Adelphi the night before and the night after our tour of Ireland in two different rooms. Despite the mixed reviews (ranging from Terrible to Excellent), we stayed there because of its location. If you have agood reason to stay at the Adelphi, do so; if not forget it. For 85 Euros, about 117 USD, you get very little.

Both rooms were large, had multiple beds, and were quite rough requiring upgrading. Nevertheless, we were comfortable. Service was terrible. I requested heat twice, the evening manager said he would attend to it and never did.

Adelphi advertised that they serve a vegan breakfast. Unfortunately we never got it. The first morning there, we had to leave before 8 AM so we had to settle for the continental breakfast, which does not contain fruit. The second morning at 8 AM, they didn't have breakfast at all--just a continental breakfast and not even toast. We had to settle for a bowl of cereal to fortify us for our trip home.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cold room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

The following 'dos' and 'dont's' apply.
Do not expect a 3* hotel. The Dublin Tourist Board's database does not recognise the Adelphi as a hotel. The Dublin telephone directory lists it as a 'budget bed and breakfast'. The Irish must mean something else by 'budget' from the rest of the English-speaking world as the Adelphi is not cheap.
Do not expect to unpack your luggage. Apart from a wooden rail with a few coat hangers, the Adelphi does not do bedroom furniture.
Do not expect to sleep. The floors are laminate. The Adelphi does not do insulation, bedroom carpets or double glazing. If the noise of the plumbing and the other guests tramping about does not keep you awake, the traffic will if you are at the front and the trains if you are at the back.
Do pack a hard hat. The Adelphi is a buiding site (May 2006)
Do pack an anorak, notebook and pencil. The proximity of the main railway line into Dublin makes the back bedrooms a Mecca for trainspotters.
Do enjoy the view of builders' rubble and black plastic bags from the back bedroom windows.
Do expect to queue for breakfast in the dingy and overcrowded dining room.

Stayed May 2006
hgebauer
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

we arrived at the guesthouse and were rather taken aback by the place. I guess, the website gave us the wrong impression. The guesthouse was clean, but needed paint and some remodelling. The flooring was rather eclectic and the window coverings were sparse. The sitting areas need some renovation.

The breakfast was good and the serving area was really nice. We enjoyed the food and the service. The innkeeper was fantastic and very helpful! I would hope that he just spent a little more money refurbishing the place as he goes.

The location is great and easy to walk to all the main attractions in Dublin. It is easy to get to other farther areas by bus or train with stops right in front of the hotel. You don't need a car.

Be prepared for more of a hostel feeling rather than a B&B, but Dublin is very EXPENSIVE and you get what you pay for and this is another example.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gallatin, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

I needed internet during my travel and found the Adelphi on a list of guesthouses that offer it. Signal strength is poor anywhere but in the main floor sitting room.

The property is in a row of townhouses, originally home to members of the wealthy merchant class, but now drab and slightly off-putting. Hostels and budget accommodations line both sides of the street.

Our ensuite room was neat and clean, though one of the window panes appeared to have been broken for some time. The bathroom was clean and the shower powerful. The shower stall lacked even the most rudimentary shelf for holding soap and/or shampoo, however.

Breakfast is served in a newly renovated dining room in the basement. Diners get to announce their comings and goings by means of loud scraping of chair legs on bare concrete. If you tire of the "full Irish breakfast" the cook takes requests - provided they involve some combination of eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, beans or toast. Cereals, coffee and orange juice are also available.

The Adelphi does have a car park, with the emphasis on the singular: car. Reserve well in advance if you need it. Most guests seem to be afoot, so it shouldn't be a problem. Access is through a nondescript, always-closed door in the lane behind the property. Best to arrange to have someone from management actually park the car for you.

• Liked — Short walking distance to many sites
  • Disliked — Down-at-the-heels appearance of the property
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2007

SUMMARY: This guesthouse is a good value for the money. I had no problems at all during my stay. The room quality, amenities, staff and location were great for the more than reasonable price.

BACKGROUND: My stay was February 23-26, during a big international rugby weekend (kind of like the World Cup of rugby). For the first time, the Brit team was in Dublin to play against the Irish team on an historically significant playing field. Consequently, Dublin was very crowded and booked-up. I had difficulty finding a room, even though I started searching a month in advance. I finally settled on the Adelphi because I couldn't find a reasonably priced room anywhere else. I was a bit apprehensive because I had read negative reviews on Trip Advisor. Luckily, my apprehensions were never realized.

ROOM QUALITY: My room was spotless and much larger than I had expected. A radiator provided meager heating, but I think this is standard there. I am from Las Vegas and am not as used to cold weather as the Irish, so the heating may have met their normal standards, but by my own personal standards, it could have been better. The bedding, however, provided plenty of warmth. Oddly (for me), the bed was on wheels, so when I woke-up in the morning, the bed had rolled to another part of the room as result of my normal movements during sleep. Oh well, no big deal. The bathroom attached to the room included a sink, toilet and shower that were sparkling clean. Although the bathroom was not huge, it was much larger than I expected for the price.

AMENITIES: A generous full English breakfast was included in the room price. The breakfast included tea or coffee, fruit juice, eggs, bacon, sausage, beans and toast. The breakfast was served courteously, without a long wait. Internet access was not available, however, right next door is a nice size Internet Cafe with fast access. No elevators are in this establishment, but staff insisted on carrying my luggage to my room, so stairs were not a problem.

STAFF: The staff were friendly and courteous. I requested and received a room on a lower level because I did not want to have to deal with a lot of stairs. I appreciated the efficient check-in because I was very tired upon arrival around midnight. The young man on duty cheerfully carried my luggage to my room. Staff were helpful in providing directions on how to get various places in Dublin. I had a cold and one staff member suggested that, while I was out walking, I should stop in a pub and have a whiskey to feel better -- brilliant! Also, staff were excellent as far as arranging for quick taxi service.

LOCATION: The location is within walking distance of many places of interest. An Internet Cafe is next door (on the corner) and that was very convenient. The Adelphi is at the intersection of Lower Gardiner Street and Talbot St. Talbot is a big shopping street and becomes Henry St. (when it crosses O'Connell St.), where even more shops and department stores are located, such as Marks & Spencer, Debenhams, No Name, Penney's, etc. Dubliners told me that Henry St. is better in terms of prices than Grafton St., which is also within walking distance (about 10 minutes). The Temple Bar area (on Fleet St.), filled with pubs bursting at the seams with convivial patrons overflowing into the street, is nearby between Henry and Grafton, just over the bridge spanning the Liffey. The "Hop-On, Hop-Off" double-decker bus is very close, at the O'Connell St. tourist information office. The DART rail system is also nearby. Several historical locations are within walking distance too, including the Dublin Writer's Musuem and Trinity College.

CONCLUSION: I was happy with my stay at the Adelphi. The price was more than reasonable, the accommodations were more than I expected and the location was quite good. I would recommend it to someone looking for good value for the money.

Stayed February 2007
Glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2006

Hello,

Booked in here for Saturday night for one night for a twin room. The hotel is absolutely disgusting.

We met the old guy at the counter who was trying to tally up a price with a piece of paper. The room we got was at the back of the hotel, and stinked of air freshner, obviously suffering badly from dampness...

There was no socket or aerial for the TV, and when mentioned to the owner he said 'i'll get an extrension...'

At that we left and took our money back.

The decor is minging, the place is untidy and selotape holds on the wallpaper in places... The floor is unever with rugs over bits of uneven floors. Whilst there, there was people trying to book there rooms but they had been sold to someone else who was offering more money...

The room does not have a shower, it is along the corridor a bit...

I am in the process of logging a complaint to the Dublin tourist board. I thought places like this were long gone. Do not read anything positive about this place, it would need ripped apart and re done. Avoid if you care for your health...

• Liked — Nothing it was disgusting
  • Disliked — Read my review
  • Tips/Secrets — Steer well clear and dont be tempted by their lovely website...
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atherton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

We arrived friday afternoon to a warm welcome, we were all allocated the rooms we asked for (there was 10 of us), plus an extra bed or two. there was a 24 hour porter so we didnt have to worry about losing our keys. Breakfast was pretty good and they also told us that it was til 10 o'clock not half past 9, because it was the weekend and they knew we would be going out. The rooms were quite big, we had a double bed and a single bed and there was only 2 of us. The bathroom was pokey but it had what you needed. some of the comments on this website are not at all fitting for this guesthouse as i found it very nice and i wasnt disappointed with anything, in fact it exceeded my expectations, because of the website, i expected it to be a bit of a dive but it was nothing of the sort. I would return for a further visit.

• Liked — The food was great
  • Disliked — all the stairs, we were on the third floor
  • Stayed November 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Adelphi Guesthouse? Share your experiences!