“Experience worth more than 2 star rating” 5 of 5 stars

West County Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chapelizod | Old Lucan Rd, Dublin 20, Ireland   |
Ranked #62 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Experience worth more than 2 star rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just got back to England tonight after a wonderful weekend break in Dublin. We have never stayed in 2 star hotel before, so this was going to be a new experience. The hotel is situated about 15 minutes from both Dublin airport and the City, therefore quite convenient. It is also on the main bus route with several buses stopping outside the hotel every 15 minutes or so.

Outside of the hotel was not very enchanting, however when we entered the hotel the experience was different. Warmly greeted by the young receptionist, who after checking us in suggested various places to visit and more importantly, how to get there.
The bedroom was very comfortable, bathroom was a little small.Tea/coffee making facilities were available, as was iron board with iron.

Evening meal was excellent with many choices available.In true Irish style, the hotel bar and staff were extremely helpful. We stayed in there until 2:00amish.The full Irish breakfast was something to behold. My wife being vegetarian was well catered for.

Although this hotel looked tired, in need of a little TLC you may say, the experience was wonderful.I would thoroughly recommend this hotel on the experience we just had.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in this hotel on Sunday the 23rd September. My wife had a voucher for a Ferrari drive experience with Golden moments (brilliant experience by the way) and the deal included a stay in this hotel. We had been down in my home place in Kilkenny and decided we would do the experience on our way back. When we found the hotel I have to say I was a bit apprehensive when I saw the front of it as it doesnt look the best. But, that all changed as soon as we walked in the door. In fairness it doesnt look a very modern hotel, but has a feel of the old 70s, 80s hotels most of us (in the "80s kids" bracket) remember being at weddings and christenings etc, the....."red designed carpet, dark wood" look. Which to me I find very "homely", and did through out my stay. The first staff member we met was the receptionist who was very welcoming and was very interested in the ferrari experience and took time to talk to us...which is something that doesnt happen very much in the bigger hotels. A real nice welcome..a proper "cead mile failte" welcome. I found the room smaller than normal but it was very comfortable, which was a bit cold at first, but to the other reviewers.....theres a valve on the radiator that regulates the heating.....just in case your stuck again :). It heated up very quickly and the room was nice a warm in minutes.
We met friends of ours in the bar later on for a drink and we had bar food, which I thought was lovely. The barstaff were extremely friendly and one of the barmen even sat down and started talking to us (even though the bar was busy). The kids were extremely welcomed and all the staff were friendly to them, messing with them etc. It was the same with the staff the next morning at breakfast, the kids were given loads of attention and the lady serving us held a conversation with us ( as well as when we were leaving and she was going home she came over to wish my wife good look with her drive).
The only fault with the hotel is that they need to try and clean up the front and maybe brighten it with paint, flowers, maybe get rid of half of the car park and turn it into a garden or something. But other than that.....well done to the friendliness of the staff and the warm feeling in this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Heidelberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend for the half marathon. The hotel is a short bus ride to Phoenix Park and 15ish minutes from downtown.

The staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. The rooms are very comfortable and nice. The bangers and mash at the restaurant is quite good. The breakfast was very good and filling.

Overall very recommendable!

• Stayed September 2012
carrick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

To be honest, I wouldn't normally book a hotel this low on the ratings, but by the time we realised our Leonard Cohen concert was finishing too late to return to Belfast, there wasn't much choice left. BUT!!- we really enjoyed our one night stay. It's true that the place is a little old, and not spotless, but it was very clean and comfy, had all the facilities we needed inc iron and ironing board- without having to request it, a great selection of tv channels and decaff coffee which our last expensive hotel didn't have. The shower was good and no problem getting hot water. The staff were lovely, reception so helpful, and bar and breakfast staff very pleasant. Our food in the bar at tea time was good, no complaints about portion size, and price ok. -under ten pounds each for pasta (with yummy fresh ham) and lasagne, breakfast was very nice too. I have been in hotels with more choice and also less choice, it
varies a lot, not important. We personally didn't hear noise from entertainment but may have been fortunate in where our room was situated at far left end of hotel. Some minor noise from other guests but not major problem, we got to sleep and slept well in the very comfy beds. one double and single -all for under total of £60. -b&b for 2! You can't beat that. Next time I go to Dublin we will stay here and travel into city centre, and save a lot of money so we can have more breaks. I am really glad we were late booking and made this discovery.

Room Tip: choose front for view, opposite end to entertainment room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

First impressions
"Country Irish" or authentically Irish, i.e. a few years behind what you might expect in the (south of the) UK. The wood panelling, colour schemes and general style makes it feel like you're in the country, rather than just outside central Dublin. Popular with coach travellers apparently, though it didn't seem too busy either.

Location
Just a few miles outside the city centre, set back from the narrow (but fast) road, it's reasonable quiet. There are green views of the surrounding landscape. Chapelizod is pleasantly sedate compared to Dublin centre.

Room
My single room was surprisingly light, roomy and comfortable, but again, quite dated, with TV and clock/radio (displaying wrong time) having seen better days. Iron & board, basic tea/coffee etc., but no mini bar of safe. Doors use deadlock key with massive acrylic fobs! Bed very comfortable. Bathroom with shower/WC/basin small with no toiletries bar shower/handwash, but perfectly adequate. More than met my needs.

Staff
Relaxed, polite and friendly. For me, it really felt like 'welcome to Ireland'. Even the little lady serving breakfast couldn't be faulted, even though she does greet you with "NOW! WHAT"LL YOU HAVE?!" when you're feeling hungover.

Your contributor's view of Ireland is that they have great produce but no cuisine, unless you count plain food as cuisine, such as basic meat, potatoes and veg. As such, the bangers and mash I had for dinner and the "Irish breakfast" were sizeable, great quality and very nice. Note, Irish breakfast is identical to the internationally known FULL ENGLISH breakfast with usual addition of black and white pudding, both of which are welcome additions.

Price
Ireland is, quite inexplicably, almost prohibitively expensive, and this is during a recession! You may wonder why everything is typically more expensive than say London, which is also not known for its low prices. However, the County does offer comparatively good value especially compared to the urban alternatives.

Summary
In a nutshell, this hotel presents a relaxed, genuinely Irish experience but is located just outside the city. If you accept that this is neither chic or modern, but comfortable and dated you should be fine. In terms of star rating, perhaps like a UK Premiere Inn bit with all important character and individuality. TripAdvisor's overall rating needs re-thinking. 3 stars="average, 4 stars="very good". I would rate this as "GOOD", so 3.5 on TA's rating system.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Food at the West County is always nice, but the price of the carvery keeps going up and the portions are going down. The plates the dinner is served on are definitely smaller. The prices are top whack so it's a bit disappointing to be served a small portion on a side plate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tipperary, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

After reading the mostly good reviews about this hotel, I used a 'groupon' (seemed) very good value offer for two nights b&b one even meal and late checkout for two people. But it was a huge disappointment and a waste of time, I definitely will never return. Firstly I have to say that the two stars I give this hotel are for excellent reception staff and cleanliness. The minus points are for indifferent/bored bar/pub staff. Rubbish breakfast, and the tiniest bathroom I have ever seen, similar in size to one you would see in a caravan.

I know this is not a 5* hotel, so yes I accept it is old and dated. If hotels have a problem with giving the meal deal on this 'groupon' offer it would be better if they just gave a discount for an set amount of euro to be used in either the restaurant or the bar for food. Because there is definitely a feeling of being lesser beings when you are 'groupon' guests, you must only choose from a certain menu, staff must be told in advance that you are using a 'groupon' voucher, Otherwise you will not get the meal deal. I felt they would prefer if a huge letter G could be stamped on guests foreheads at checkin in order to separate them from 'normal' guests who may choose what ever they wish.

I booked this break as a treat a nice relaxing hotel stay, hah, what a let down, I have never in my life experienced such a feeling of being an inferior being, after only one night I could not wait to leave this place. I have complained to both West County hotel and groupon. Why would anyone pay to be treated this way. There are many many fine reasonably priced hotels in Dublin who would be glad to welcome you - not this one though. Even if it was free I would never again go to it.

Room Tip: Even if they offer to pay you to stay here - dont.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to West County Hotel? Share your experiences!