“nice food, large portions” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 6 Ice Cream in Dublin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Loads of natural character, ambiance and vitality here! But to see this premises at its most magical, a nocturnal visit is obligatory when the old heritage pub is buzzing with activity, pulsating with atmosphere and reverberating to the sounds of laughter and craic. But our daytime visitor can enjoy a saunter around the pub which will rapidly become a journey back through time as you encounter hordes of artifacts from yesteryear that reflect a simpler, more uncomplicated Ireland. We are justifiably proud of our All-American Eatery.... And why not, we were the first premises to introduce the American bar food concept to Ireland. Great value can be had here on our Lunchtime Special Menu or if you would prefer something more substantial, then nobody, but nobody is going to beat our comprehensive American Eatery menu. And that's a promise..
Dublin, Ireland
“nice food, large portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

they have nice food but i think they are limited in choice, all seems to be same thing in different variaties. but it is nice and the portions are very large. staff is ok but seats are limited. it is more pub with food then restaurant. a bit expensive as well. would go back but not often.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Belfast, United Kingdon
“Good food and staff - shame about the credit card conversion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Called here after landing at Dublin Airport - which is only about 10 minutes away. It is a lovely old-style pub, in the English style, serving good food. Some parking on street outside.

Enjoyed their nachos and their daily special which was a honey-roast bacon with mash etc.

Will make this a regular stop when in the area.

Only down-side. When checked my credit card receipt discovered it had been converted - without my agreement - to GBP - Pounds Sterling, my home currency. This is always more expensive than paying in Euros and letting the card company convert it on your home currency on the monthly bill.

The credit card slip says "I accept the conversion rate..." All I know is that by the time the card machine was passed to me it was ready for the pin. If I am ever asked do I want to pay in Sterling I always decline, I was not asked. I have been charged a 3.5% exchange rate mark-up!

This is a sharp practice which I believe is illegal (not letting the customer decide) and was the only bad aspect to our visit.

Proprietor - please get this stopped before someone complains to the card company. Sort this and the place is perfect.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Very Good Pub Grub in Swords”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

5 of us went to the cock tavern for dinner last week as we would normally go here for a few drinks we decided to go all out and try the food and thankfully we were not disappointed.

First of all I must say how friendly and efficient the staff were to us, we were served by a young girl but she was excellent and was very helpful with tips and suggestions when we came to order food.

When the food came we were shocked at the size of it, the portions are massive, I got the chicken fajitas which were lovely, excellent mix of veg and sauce and chicken all sizzling away upon delivery but the mountain of food that came we could have shared a dinner between two and still have some leftover.

Price wise its pretty good value, they do have specials on during the week and different offers. Well worth a try if your in swords and fancy something very tasty and at a pretty good price all served by some excellent staff members.

We will be back for more very soon but might have to share a dinner or else bring a doggie bag home.

• Visited February 2013