“Simply super” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dublin, Ireland
“Simply super”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had a wonderful lunch here today, a soup and sandwich combo. Not only was it great value but it was fantastically tastey. On a cold and miserable day in Dublin this was just what I needed but what will really bring me back to Dublin City Food was the genuine warmth of the welcome . I cannot recommend this deli highly enough.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dublin
“Overpriced for what you're getting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just went here for the first time today.
I got the chicken sandwich with soup. The sandwich was nice, but nothing spectacular. It was supposed to be spicy, but I found it to be quite bland and lacking flavour. If I were to return I'd probably try one of the other sandwiches after looking at the reviews here. I also got the pork and bean soup, which was very tasty. The sandwich and soup deal comes with some salad - I was quite annoyed as there was about four different salads on display and I wasn't asked which I'd like, so I was automatically give the ruby slaw and noodle salad. Although these were quite nice, I'd have much preferred the sundried tomato salad I could see behind the counter. Offering noodle salad as a default seems quite a strange choice - more carbs with your carbs?
All in all, it was a nice lunch, but I really think that €8 is far too much to pay for a takeaway lunch. I don't think I'd be back for that reason.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Amazingly tasty sandwiches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been here a few times and each time I've shared a sandwich with whoever I come with - we split 2 different sandwiches and have 2 halves each of different varieties and all I can say is they are all amazing!! In particular the pastrami wins for me each time. I consider myself lucky this place isn't nearer my work or I would be here every day! The soup is delicious too but I can never manage to fit it in after the large lovely sandwiches

• Visited March 2013
“Just what Dublin needs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Only discovered this place this week - wonderful sandwiches. The pulled pork is divine! Quality ingredients, friendly staff. I'll definitely be back. More of this is what Dublin needs, not O'Brien's.

Ireland
“Great Quality Sandwiches - A little bit pricey for take away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I tried Dublin City today for lunch after a work colleague had mentioned it to me (he hadn't been, but had heard some good things), so I said Id give it a try. Dublin City is located on Andrew Street & to be honest you would walk passed it without noticing it. I arrived at around 12:15pm an the place was empty; the set inside is a little strange, there is a wide open space with seating around the sides & the counter is way at the back, if I am being honest if I had just walked in not knowing anything about the place I might have walked back out (but that would have done a disservice to the place). They have a pretty small menu with 7 "Hot Sandwiches" and 2 soups; I ordered the "Phibsboro" which is a pulled pork sandwich, there is a choice of 2 breads (Granary and Sourdough), I chose the Sourdough. They do a soup and sandwich combo for €8 (which I ordered), the soup was a Mexican chili bean soup; it was extremely tasty and had a lovely smokey taste to it (it was served with a dollop of sour cream). The Sandwich and soup combo came with two tasting portions of salad also (to be honest the portions of salad were so small, they didn't really add anything & they could probably just remove them from the deal). The sandwich was very tasty, the bread was really well toasted and crispy and the portion of Pork inside was very generous, the flavours ticked all the boxes. Now €8 for soup and a sandwich take away is probably a €uro or two more than most places in the area, but the portion and quality of the produce do almost justify the price. I will give Dublin City another try but my advice would be to look at the prices and see if the lunch deal can be brought into the €6.95 bracket (it seems trivial, but 5 days a week 52 weeks a year that extra €uro does add up).

• Visited March 2013