“Great value for money!” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Syrian and Lebanese cafe restaurant and shishs bar
Dublin, Ireland
“Great value for money!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Staff were very friendly and courteous and had a warm welcome for us when we arrived. Food was superb - Jerusalem mezze was great and the chicken was succulent and beautifully cooked. One minor quibble was the absence of authentic Middle Eastern bread. Value for money was excellent. We'll definitely be back.

86% Recommend
co wicklow, Ireland
“Full of Eastern Promise ...Delicious Food, Wonderful Service, Love the great value BYOB policy and a Super Night Out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

It was a hot summer evening in Dublin which is a rare thing indeed and so it was fitting that we found that the restaurant we chose to dine featured another rare and beautiful thing - a bring your own wine policy with NO corkage charge. Sweet!!!

We had no expectations really but have always love to try out Lebanese Restaurants dating as far back as the wonderful Phonoecian on Camden Street which closed it's doors many many many moons ago.

I ordered the Falafel and Humus Salad plate to start with while my dining companion opted for the classic Hummus. I have so disappointed recently with falafel that I had actually forgotten how it should be cooked and I can safely say this was the best falafel ever, crispy and golden on the outside but softy yielding as one bit into the soft and more-ish centre.

The starters came with pitta bread which was nicely warmed and drinking my sauv blanc which was very reasonably prices at the stone's trow away SPAR and gazing into the azure sky of the rooftops above, listening to the traditional music, I felt I truly could be somewhere exotic instead of deal old Dublin!

We had been very courteously warned before our meal that as everything was prepared to order that we could expect an appropriate waiting time while our food was prepared but I have to say whether it was the sunshine or the wine or the night that was in it, it felt like an even shorter than average wait that I generally expeience and indeed I was not aware of having to "wait" at all for my food as it arrived before I even thought about it.

For our main course we chose from the Chef's recommended dishes and I think possibly had the only fish dish on the menu.

What a delight! The fish was super fresh and superbly tasty in a thick tangy but not spicy sauce on a bed of what tasted like a mix of rice and cous cous, so I am guessing maybe it was just a special type of rice? Anyway it was delicious and very unusual.

I am do not eat meat so it was a real treat to have a fish dish as well as the traditional vegetarian options on the menu.

For me one of the nicest things was the salad which was painstakingly prepared with tiny crunchy cubes of cucumber and all tasted super fresh and one of the nices salads I have had recently.

We finished with one of the mouthwatering tiny traditional pasteries which came from a stuning array of balklava-style tasty treats and it was only due to great restraint that we did not order a taste of each one as they were so tempting!

The restaurant is divided into three parts and we sat in the front looking out onto the street but beyond the middle section is more reminiscent of a scene from the arabian nights with scatter cushions and beautiful jewel coloured seating - ideal I thought for a private party or family gathering etc.

Beyond that is another lovely seating area in which you can have a Shish - one of the ornate apparatus which resemble a hookah pipe!

All in all we had a fabulous time and the food was just spot on for the beautiful warm evening as it was very light, super fresh and very healthy .... with the exception of the yummy desserts - and to cap it all the bring your own bottle policy meant we could enjoy a large bottle of ice cold Peroni in an iced glass provided,2 glasses white wine for me 2 for red wine for him and at a fraction of the price - I am guessing it would have cost about 30 euros plus and instead we walked home with the the remaining wine and spent just 12 euros! Amazing.

Couple this with the very reasonable menu with a max price of 15 euros for a main course and food so tasty that even my fussy companion was blown away with praise, you have got yourself a very nice evening out, full of Eastern Promise and Lebanese/Syrian Delight.

Many thanks to all at Damascus Gate who made our night so special and I do hope this new restaurant will enjoy the success it so richly deserves - Bravo!

“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Loved the place. Food was so fresh and the staff were so friendly. The falafel was to die for and for main I got half a chicken which was so moiste and tasty

Dublin, OH
“Remotely Syrian”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

WE went to this café availing of lunch coupons for 2. The quality of food is terrible. Lentil soup had barely any lentil, or any ingredients for that matter. The Kabab Halabi was merely a poor quality burger on a skewer, does not taste anything like Halabi kabobs. The kenafe (dessert) was a failed attempt (salty cheese, overly soaked in sugar syrup) . I am glad that I didn't pay the full menu prices for this experience.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

They have a nice food and desserts and argeela (sheesha). And they prepare for parties. The price is very cheap compare with other Lebanese restaurant. I could basically say it is five star. I really recommend this restaurant to who wants to eat a typical lebanese food.

• Visited July 2012