“Excellent service” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Galway, Ireland
“Excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Visited this restaurant Saturday at lunchtime. Not many customers, which understandably did not lend itself to a great atmosphere, but this was well compensated for with excellent service and delicious food. We found the menu a bit pricey, but on request was offered the weekday lunch menu, which was far more reasonably priced. The only suggestion I would have to improve the experience would be to have this lunch menu as standard at weekends, not just weekdays. Apart from that, the service was second to none!

Dublin, Ireland
“Really great food and excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I went to this restaurant with a couple of friends on a Saturday afternoon. The food we ordered was really beautiful; definitely the some of the best Indian food I've had. The menu was quite different from other Indians I've been to, but it was easy to find something that we liked the sound of. The waiter could not have been more attentive during our meal. The only suggestion I would have is that the restaurant should offer a lunch menu on a Saturday afternoon (there is one from Monday to Friday). On a Saturday afternoon, most people on Grafton Street are just out shopping, so ordering from the a la carte menu is a bit expensive - it's more suitable for Saturday night. Our waiter was really good though and offered us the early bird menu which was two courses and rice and naan. There was more food than we could possibly finish, so it ended up being a very good value meal.

“Poppadums like Quavers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The first thing we noticed was that the Poppadums we ordered looked like and had the texture of Quavers. They were not Poppadums as we know them. The accompanying sauces were thin and lacked depth of flavour.

My starter was a minced lamb kebab which tasted very good. My partner had jumbo shrimp which were a generous portion and they were very good although not obviously an Indian flavour (I thought. ) For my main course I had a lamb curry which was good. soft lamb in a nice sauce. My partner had the Chicken Tikka Masala which was as I like it - not too sweet . My 2 companions had a chicken biryani which was rather dry (she felt) and Venison which he felt was just too much rich meat. The venison tasted very Good , marinaded pieces of tender meat on 2 skewers. It would be great as a smaller starter but even the 2 of us could not eat it all.

The restaurant itself is 2 floors underground in a modern building. It has a bistro feel with an open kitchen. When we were there it was very busy and there was a hen party in an adjoining room. The service was very nice although the people bringing the food could learn some finesse about how to serve it up.

Overall my impression was that the restaurant is trying too hard to be Indian while also trying not to be a curry house. The huge venison dish is a mistake. The Quaver like poppadums are a mistake. The Biryani with a pastry cap on top but dry underneath was a mistake. The Menu is new and will probably be adjusted over time. The food overall tasted good but without the wow factor. If they want to be so different , they have to deliver the wow factor or the customer may not return. That is their challenge.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
“Best Indian we've had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stumbled on this restaurant by accident on a Friday night while visiting Dublin. Both the food and the service were excellent. We've been to a lot of Indian restaurants but this was probably the best we've ever had. All the dishes we had were delicious and were presented beautifully. The cocktail list looked very varied and the bar well stocked. I wished I could have tried one (I'm pregnant). The setting is trendy and music was upbeat and typical of a Friday night bar (although not so loud that it woke up our 2 year old sleeping in his buggy). I would highly recommend this place as a night out for couples or groups of friends.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Over-rated and very disappointing service from such a supposedly 'class' place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

For those familiar with the Indian restaurant scene, you have Jaipur, Sagaar, Diwali and so on, you have options and I came to Indie Dhaba as a first timer with very high expectations given the reputation and upon reading other reviews. It was a bank holiday Monday, Oct 28th, the place was empty so we expected superb service and food of course. Overall, the food was average at best. For starters, the lal mirch lacked flavor, ajwani jhinga was good but nothing I couldn't cook at home for a typical dish. For the mains, we asked for medium spice and did not get it for our lamb biryani or tang chilchi. We asked twice, and of course, figured this would be granted. We waited about twice as long as expected for our main courses, 73 minutes, which was longer than expected for such a quiet day in a supposedly great restaurant. With such average food, you could give it a decent avg review and move on. But the real issue we had was with the server, Reza, the lack of a front manager and how we were treated as a family and group. A sign outside the restaurant calls out you get 2 courses for €18.95, great value, so 3 of us, 3 starters, 3 mains, seems reasonable right? WRONG, certainly not on a bank holiday, nor on a Monday and in fact, upon asking, were told it was our fault for not checking their web site before ordering. They had no intention of honoring the agreement, had we known, we certainly would have ordered differently as at €18.90 per main alone, you're at €100 for 3 people without even blinking. The general demeanour and attitude from the server in particular continued, arguing with us at checkout, he then proceeded to add costs to our bill including chips that were hinted at to be free for our daughter (who of course didn't eat much). Another €30 was added to the bill and we looked at each other in UTTER shock. Any general restaurant front manager would apologize and do something to compromise, but no, they just continued to insist we were wrong and to just get out of there. At the end, they finally offered 10% off our next meal, I reiterated that in the restaurant business, you tell 10 friends about a bad experience and only 3 about a good one, here we go. I wouldn't go back nor would I recommend the food. Don't be fooled by a fancy atmosphere! There is a reason it is in a BASEMENT off Grafton Street.

• Visited October 2013