“Friendly staff, comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Dawson Hotel & Spa

You added The Dawson Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The Dawson Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Dawson Street, Dublin 2, Ireland (Formerly La Stampa Hotel)   |
Ranked #121 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
cavan
“Friendly staff, comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I booked this hotel for one night, mainly due to its fantastic location in the centre of Dublin City. I hadn't read any of the online reviews beforehand, just really loved the look of the place from the website. Check in was seamless and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our Junior Suite room was fantastic, clean and really well decorated. However, the public stairways and corridors do need a fresh lick of paint. There were also scuff marks on the skirting boards and walls of our room. I didn't mind this too much as the room was lovely.

While reading the online reviews, I noticed that a common theme was the noise problem. Dawson street is a very busy street, with bars, restaurants and late night venues littered up down. We had no problem sleeping and didn't hear any noise, probably because we got back to our hotel room after a night out and everything in the vicinity had closed up for the night.

We didn't have breakfast, but from their prices online, €30 for a hotel breakfast for 2 is very steep. We ate in a beautiful coffee shop nearby and paid about €15 for the 2 of us for breakfast. Take the room only rate here as there is much better value to be had outside of the hotel

A word of warning regarding the mini bar. There was no price list given with the mini bar drinks (and if there was, it was hidden somewhere as I never found it). There was no notice to say that the mini bar was not complementary. Nothing anywhere with a price list for drinks. All in all, I was charged €29 for a small bottle of champagne (which I could have bought in any supermarket for less than €6) and €6 for a bottle of Corona. Very very disappointing.

Reasonable parking is provided in Setanta Car Park, just off South Frederick Street which is the next street over from Dawson street. 24 hour parking for €17.50 (very good) and the hotel will validate your parking ticket at checkout. Very handy service

All in all, I can recommend the Dawson Hotel for a short break in Dublin. It was very clean and our room was beautiful, bathroom was very spacious too. I will definetly stay here again, although I am not 100% sure if I could cope with the noise on the street below

Room Tip: Ask for the specials on the Junior/Deluxe suites.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Turkish first
Newbridge, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

When I first showed up to the hotel first impressions were pretty good. Staff were lovely and my room looked lovely. We had a lower couch area were tge bathroom was situated and then a small stairs up to where the bed was. The room was beautifully furnished and had a very comfortable bed. But there was no spare pillows or blanket in the closet like I have found in other hotels.We didn't really get any sleep. Right out side our window there was a very loud boiler type thing which ran loudly all night. And above us there must have been a room similar to ours (one with a small stairs in it) because every time the people in the room above us walked about or used their stairs we could Hear them very clearly in hour room. So after getting up after a very sleepless night, I wanted to take a shower at about 9 am. ...not a drop of hot water for a shower, ice cold water. Very disappointed at this as hot water is a basic nessecity for a hotel, especially for one that's supposedly 4 star. Won't be returning

• Stayed June 2014
limerick,ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I booked the Dawson due to its proximity to The Shelbourne Hotel where I was attending a work event. I hadn't seen any reviews but liked the look of the Hotel. On arrival I was upgraded to A junior Suite which immediately had me on a winner. The staff were just lovely, all of them. I got a lovely welcome and the surroundings were just so peaceful despite being in Dublin city centre. My Room was just lovely, clean and well equipped. Once I got up the following day I headed down for breakfast which was served until 10.30 which was great. Again the staff were just lovely, very accommodating and pleasant. There was a great breakfast selection and bar the fruit and meats there was a menu and everything cooked fresh. It was again very clean and extremely efficient. Although I was going out for the day and had checked out I was able to leave my bags in the hotel and pick them up later. A gent from reception insisted on carrying them out for me even though they were light and overall left me with a feeling that my business was appreciated even though I was only there for the one night and on single occupancy. I was very impressed and my husband and I will be returning to the Hotel in August and I look forward to our return visit. Well done to all

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Booked this hotel - and was totally overwhelmed when I checked in.

Paid €198 for a two night stay in December - reasonable enough price, considering the location and the time of year.

The room I got was absolutely superb. Big, spacious and very elegant! Really wowed me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed here this year and hopefully it won't be too long before we're back. The rooms have a quaint old world charm that have a home away from home feel yet purvey a touch of elegance that make you want to relax. Being a city centre hotel it's close to all amenities so it makes a fantastic base for exploring Dublin. We have our favourite restaurants close by so I can't comment on the food. The hotel is quite at night as it is not appealing to a rowdy clientele. In conclusion we enjoy staying here and will do so again.

• Stayed June 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I chose this hotel based almost exclusively on TripAdvisor reviews, and overall I was quite happy. The location is superb, within easy walking to all things within the city center. We stayed in a junior suite on the 3rd floor. Street noise was never a problem, and the in-room air conditioner/heater kept the room very comfortable. We used the spa downstairs for a couple's massage, and were very happy with their services. Travelers should be aware that (1) there is no lift, so luggage must be brought upstairs (although the porter was more than happy to assist us with this task), and (2) parking is located in a public lot a few blocks away. Having said that, neither of these was enough of an issue for me to rate this hotel less than 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sligo, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

This hotel is situated in a very good location near Grafton Street so there is plenty of shops and restaurants within the vicinity. I do think the hotel is a bit hap hazard in its layout however as the bar is on the ground floor and you must go through this area to gain access to the breakfast room/dining room area, whilst the reception area is up two flights of stairs. I would have thought the reception area of any hotel should be as close to the entrance as possible and the main focal point on entry?? I was very pleased with our suite that i booked, nice and spacious and very clean and they even had three yellow roses in a vase with a tray of fresh fruit. Although the view from our room which was to the back of the hotel was very disappointing and I thought the stairs and corridors to the bedrooms could do with a bit of a refurbishment. The bed was very comfortable and thankfully we had a very restful sleep. There are pubs/nightclub underneath and it did appear to be quite noisy when going to bed so whether it stopped or we were just so tired that we slept through it I am not sure. There was a nice selection of food on the breakfast menu and the waiter/waitresses were very friendly and helpful as was all the reception staff and concierge of the hotel. This hotel suited our one night stay in Dublin for attending of an event, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to book this hotel for a leisurely stay in the capital.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Dawson Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!