“Not impressed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grafton Capital Hotel

You added Grafton Capital Hotel to your Saves list
Grafton Capital Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lower Stephens Street, Dublin 2, Ireland (South City Centre)   |
Ranked #121 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Not impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I was extremely disappointed with this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone. My room smelled like an ash tray and had very little lighting. The shower would change from hot to cold every 30 seconds and I had to keep adjusting the temperature. I was kept awake until 5am by noise down in the street and then was woken up early by the housekeeping staff in the hallway. I paid 109 euro for my room, but I wouldn't have even paid half of that had I known what sort of condition the hotel was in. My recommendation is to pay extra money to stay in a decent hotel like the Radisson Blu, which is right down the street. The Grafton Capital Hotel is a huge disappointment and the worst hotel I have stayed in thus far in Ireland.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just returned from weekend stay in Grafton Capital. I had read reviews before arrival, couldn't change the booking ( not Hotel's fault) and was in dreaded fear to be honest. There are a few issues raised in previous reviews such as dated decor and stained carpets , comments which are justified . However we found the staff to be very pleasant, both at reception and in the breakfast room. The location was superb and could not have been more central, thereby eliminating costs for any transport . The breakfast was more than adequate and there was no shortage of food .And all this for under € 60.00 each. People need to get a grip here! Money in Ireland is in short supply at present and good value is what everyone is now looking for. If I had spend anything north of € 100 I would have been very annoyed indeed , but I am more than happy with what I got and what I paid for it, One word of advise : if you are a light sleeper and are staying weekend nights, I would ask not to be allocated a room on the second floor as the nightclub below is housed on the ground and first floor and it can get noisey!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights with a friend for a weekend break. The location is very good but the hotel is just utterly dire. The room was dated, it smelt, it was old, it was dingey. Everything was dirty, even the lamp shades! The bases of the beds were rotten. The bathroom was old and dated, when you turned the tap on it sounded like something was going to come through the ceiling! The tv (something from the 90s) kept turning off and it took 10 mins to get it on again. I called reception to ask for a maintenance guy - he didnt show up after 45 mins so we gave up. The hotel cost €218 in total for 2 nights - you could definitely get something nicer for this price.

Also, the bar attached to the hotel is open til 3.30am and really loud, so if you're planning on having early nights its a no go.

Overall, the hotel is tired and shoddy - definitely does not look like the hotel they advertise on their website!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed at Grafton Capital for 3 nights in September. Wonderful location, however, I would rate this just above a dump-I hate to be this disrespectful. But, we had two rooms-my friend had to ask for a ew mattress pad, our toilet did not flush, the showers, tubs in both rooms had mildew, and breakfast-well, we did not eat there. We walked across the street to the metro cafe and taste each morning-which was about a 20 second walk. Yes, you are very central, and you can walk everywhere. But spend a few more dollars, and you will not be afraid to walk on the carpet, or take a bath. A hostel would be better. I am a fair traveller, I have stayed in homes, Ritz Carltons, and lots of bed and breakfasts. I am usually not in my hotel that much-so the fact that this really bothered us should be a clue. I will say the girls at the front desk were pleasant. Please, do some more research and you will be much happier. If you do stay here, just revel in your location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Buncrana, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

WARNING DO NOT STAY HERE...To everyone who is thinking of staying here think again.. It might have a good location but I was checked in here due to a mix up from my original hotel we ended up here and believe me how this hotel has got a rating on trip advisor is beyond me. We were given room room 217 and I would not put a farm animal into it. It was unclean, dirty carpet, torn curtains.. When I asked for another room I was then given 518 this was smaller room which was not much better. This time the bed sheets were stained. So not having been in the hotel for no more than 20 mins I checked out with great pleasure. The girl that was on the front desk did not care. So please please for your own sacks DO NOT STAY HERE..

• Stayed October 2012
Tampa FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The location was the best! Located in St Stephens Green area near all the restaurants,shops,pubs and local attractions. The staff was very accommodating and gave us an room upgrade without us asking. They have a lovely pub and also a lounge area with free wi-fi.

The room was comfortable, clean and the beds were comfy.Some of the other reviewers mentioned that the hotel was "dated." Personally, I like "dated." The hotel has an old world feel to it and has personality. We got a great price through booking.com over the New Year's Eve weekend and thought it was a great value. We had a blast there!

I highly recommend this property for anyone visiting Dublin!

Room Tip: We had a room facing the front of the building, the pub gets a little wild and noisy but it was New...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Easy to find hotel a couple blocks from Stephen's Green and Grafton Street shopping. We had a car and there was a garage a block away. Price was cheap so we had low expectations on quality, which were more or less achieved, but not surpassed. A little threadbare. We stayed 2 nights and encountered 3 different desk staff, all of whom were inattentive, somewhat unhelpful and spoke English moderately. Other reviews had us worried about the noise from the pub below, but we heard none of it. Breakfast was good, trad Irish offerings. If you plan to hits the streets, greens and pubs, this is a good place. If you plan to spend a lot of time in your room, don't stay here.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grafton Capital Hotel? Share your experiences!