“Not even worth the free airport transfer” 1 of 5 stars

Paddy's Palace
5 Beresford Place | Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin 1, Ireland   |
Ranked #66 of 89 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Sydney, Australia
“Not even worth the free airport transfer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Normally, I am a very patient person and give hostels I stay in an open mind, even the badly rated ones a fair chance. I have worked in the hospitality and tourism sectors for nearly 8 years now and so I know how it can be sometimes.

The first night before my tour was ok, had no complaints.. the showers were a bit so/so but for what you pay you can"t expect luxury.
For convenience sake, I decided to stick with Paddy's for 2 nights after my tour was over. Again same deal, only this time, when I used a third floor bathroom on the morning of my departure, i found myself trapped inside! The door was unlocked but when you pushed the door handle down to release the button - nothing happened! Long story short, after 1 hour of dealing with non-english speaking girls who were trying to use tools to open the door themselves, the handy man finally came and eventually had to break down the door! Turns out, at some point either when the door was installed or later - the metal encasing for the button had been removed meaning the wooden door had swollen around it refusing to let it unlatch! The handy man was as unimpressed as I was there was only 2 non-english speaking employees and a NO manager in sight.

The girl at reception was completely understanding and even ordered a cab to the airport for us. She advised me to email the hostel about a reimbursement for my stay as you can all imagine, a traumatic experience like this would warrant such a thing at ANY hostel or hotel. Here we are an entire week and 3 emails later and I have not received a SINGLE response or even a damned apology for what occurred.

For an extra 5-10 euro i recommend going around the corner to Isaacs hostel which was by far a superior hostel!

Paddy's Palace Dublin... you ruin the name of the ever so fantastic Paddywagon tours and if Paddywagon tours had any common sense they would scrap whoever is running the place in favour for someone who actually gives a damn about customer service and tourism!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Zadar, Croatia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I probably shouldn't complain 'cause I didn't want to stay in a more expensive hostel, but looking back at it, I should have gone with paying more and having a decent stay.. The hostel was ridiculous! The girls at the reception were lost in space and didn't know how to answer any of our questions, in fact, she even told us to go at the airport at 5 o'clock in the morning (our flight was at 9) because we have a 45 minutes ride. We drove 5 minutes!!
Then, the showers!? The water is too hot one night and the other too cold and they keep telling people that they wil call the plumber. Yeah, right!
Then, there is the WIFI.. How can you put in your description that you have wifi if you actually don't? Not even at the reception!!
The kitchen was sooo dirty, we had to spray antibacterial water on the tables!
Then, we had some drinks in our room and two of our girls had a cigarette on the window. The doorman just barged in yelling like an insane person that he will throw us out on the street and that he won't return us any of our money.. We admit, it was partially our fault, but that's just not the way to deal with people in that sort of business!
Anyway, not staying with them ever again!!!
And for all of you guys, do visit Dublin! Such a vibrant place, loved it!

Room Tip: Choose a different hostel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We arrived in the evening, checked in with a btw lovely receptionist, from Brasil I think. Her and the beds were the only two ok thing in the whole 3day stay. We booked for 3of us in a 10dorm room, when we entered there was just 2clean bed. Went back down to reception and finally the receptionist offered us to move into an other room for the first night and move back to the original room the day after. Showers doesn't drain well,filthy, was burning hot + on top of that you have to press the button in every 15sec. Breakfast is a joke:)) We didn't even bother to wake up that early for it. Internet also wasn't working not even in reception, which close at 11:30 leaving you with no communal space where maybe you could read (obviously you don't want to bother others in a 10dorm room with the light) or to socialize. But if you go out leaving your phone and belongings in the lockers which is in reception during the day and come home after closing time, you can't even take them out. Oooh and the door buzzers. Worst idea ever! Make you have to wait for looooong minutes, cause the receptionist busy dealing with million other things. Knock down one of the reception wall and use as an entrance rather then the door from the main street. Would be much safer and avoid costumers to wait.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I don't even know how we came on the idea to spend our nights in Paddy's Palace, but it was definitely a mistake. We arrived after 10pm on a saturday and then we had to find out, that our beds have been used and needed to move to an other room. The new room was en-suite, what meant a shower in the room, which was super dirty and the water didn't go down and the toilets have been 2 floors deeper. I have never been in any hostel where you need to recode your key in the morning if you are staying more nights. Anyway we did and then had some of the poorest breakfest ever. Afterward we have got told to move back to room nr. 1, but we had to bag that we can leave our stuffs in the room during our day trip outside.

The strangest was that there was absolutely no internet and the staff told me, they cant help me, because obviously everyone else has got internet (how?! still no idea). Second strange, the reception closes after 11 or 11.30 at night and opens just in the morning, which is weird, cause i closed my phone and values in a locker at the reception for during the day, but i couldnt get them till next morning.

On saturday night we could been so lucky to have a look at the other hostel just behind the corner on the little street (which might be a bit silenter as well) and looked super good and even had nice room at the entrance where we could even have a beer without getting throughen out! So paddy's palace in compare to any other hostels i know, loses the game, even with the free airport transfer (6 euro wouldnt matter anymore to get out to the airport with the city bus!).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed here before and after a 3 day paddy wagon tour.
I chose this place as it was the pick up and drop off for the tour and it seemed convienient.
Both nights were a disaster. The first night we were given keys to a 10 bed dorm but there was only one free bed (and we needed two). We were then moved to a 4 bed room but the key didn't open the door so we had to trek all the way down 5 flights of steep narrow stairs back to reception (in the building next door) and queue up again to be told to try another key. The second key card didn't work either so by this point it was late and we had to wait in the tiny corridor for 20 mins until we could finally be let in by maintenance.
The room was extremely noisy with a train/tram tracks right outside, the mattresses were rock hard, and the pillows were awful and flat. Needless to say, we got no sleep that night.
Second night we came back after our 3 day tour, and were again allocated the same 10 bed dorm as we were orignally meant to stay in on the first night. There was no hot water when I had a shower that evening and only one main light in the whole room which isn't ideal for a room full with so many people. Half way through the night I woke suddenly to drops of water falling on me from the ceiling. When I complained to reception the next day, the lady was extremely rude and unhelpful and wouldn't offer me a refund. This place is cheap and nasty, and I wouldn't recommend you stay here if you actually want a decent nights sleep. I must point out though, this is no reflection on the Paddy Wagon Tour (which was amazing). Just opt to stay somewhere else ;-)

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, don't choose the 10 bed dorm rooms!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Whistler, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here as i finished a Paddy's tour and it was cheap and convenient. The room cleanliness was okay. We had issues with hot water in our shower, cold wasnt working so shower was steaming hot, got given a key and had to go next door to shower as i got told no one was around to fix it.
The wifi was also not working while i was there and the girl at reception was very unhelpful and unfrienly. She proceeded to tell me it was an issue with my phone and the wifi as it was working on hers and refused to help me by trying to fix the internet. At the time there was also 3 other people having problems however she kept telling us it was not her problem and continued talking to her friend.
Would never stay here again, there are lots of other nice places on the same street.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Place is in a good location. About 5min to Henry shopping area, 10min to temple bar and about 15min to grafton street. You have to buzz to get in to door where dorms are and someone in reception let's you through after stating name and room. My room was right above the street so quiet noisy with traffic amd pedestrian crossing. Other than that was a good night's stay.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Paddy's Palace? Share your experiences!