“Good Food - Value, not so” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dublin, Ireland
“Good Food - Value, not so”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Ashtons is set in a great location along the Dodder, and styles itself as a rugby pub (we'll forgive them for that). I've been to it on many occasions over the last fifteen years.

Let's get the main negative out of the way first. It's a wee bit expensive for what it is. A decent starter and a main will set you back 25-30€. That's fine for Ross O'Carroll-Kelly and his He-Man rugger mates, but it's a bit expensive for the rest of us.

Now to the good stuff. As I said, the location is great. Ask to be seated in the left hand corner, if possible, as it offers a nice view of the outside world. The staff are usually attentive, and food arrives in good time.

I usually start with the wings, and they are very good, perhaps even Elephant & Castle good. There are various other options I've tried, and you usually can't go wrong with the soup. Be aware however, that the soup is quite large and you might be best to ask for it without the bread as it's very filling otherwise.

The signature piece nowadays is the "steak on the stone." For me it's a bit gimmicky and time consuming. I'm impatient and hungry; the last thing I want is to be told that I now I have to cook my own dinner! I've heard good things about it mind, but it's not for me. Their burgers are good. The chicken burger is succulent and tasty, but if you've started with the wings you might want to go for the steak burger. Be warned, it's been known to be a bit dry.

Desserts are really good. Can't go wrong with the chocolate brownie or the banoffi.

Worth noting, they've recently introduced a craft beer menu, which offers some really nice beers. There were about 8-10 to choose from last day out, and I'd advise you to give one a go.

So yeah, improve the price and potentially fine tune the main and you've got a five star restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
TheDewDrop, Owner at Ashtons Gastropub, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Hello there
first of all I would like to thank you for your kind words about Ashtons.
We have been working very hard since taking over to improve all aspects of this well respected pub in south Dublin. (Not just for rugby I might add)
I would like to respond to your comment on the value aspect of our food offering. As members of Good Food Ireland, in Ashton's we only use the best of Irish producers most of which are small independent suppliers, but we feel that our customers will get a much better product while also knowing that they are helping promote Irish food and jobs. Our prices I feel are very competitive and quality of food for a gastropub is extremely high, and we are constantly growing and improving. I also draw your attention to our early bird from Mon - Thurs you can get 2 courses for €18 and 3 for €22.
I hope you will be back to us soon
Best Regards
Ronan Kinsella

Dublin, Ireland
“Very nice looking place, ok food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We recently had an evenng meal here in this very pretty establishment. We started off with the duck liver pate and the salad which were fine. For the mains, the blade of beef which was nice, and the burger which was a bit dry.

For dessert we had the the banoffee sundae and the baked cheesecake. The cheesecake was meant to have berries on the top, however it arrived with cherries on the top. A minor issue, but if you substitute something on the menu, perhaps your servers should tell the diner at time of ordering.

Visited September 2013
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Nice place for lunch in Dublin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were on a tour of Dublin recently and our tour guide stopped at Ashton's for lunch. We all enjoyed it. We sat outside on an absolutely beautiful and sunny day in Dublin. There were many sandwich and hamburger selections. We thought the prices were a little high but we are not familiar with prices in Dublin so we could not compare. The service was very good as there were 10 of us and everything was delivered correctly and promptly.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Good gastro pub - prices need to reduce!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Went here last week with some friends and had some good food (albeit very pricey!). Above all, the 8 hours cooked blade of beef was supreme - melt in the mouth tender and full of flavour. The prawn curry was ok, not very spicy in fact a bit bland (so ask them to make it hot if that's what you like) and steaks were cooked as asked for - very rare and medium.This time service was good - it is not always so. However, for pub grub, it is over priced - 4 main courses, 2 bottles of wine, 2 coffees and a soft drink came to €124 including a tip. They need to review their pricing to remain competitive

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Enjoyable :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Really nice meal, set menu very good value..always get the same very plesant waitress and a really nice clean cosy setting.

• Visited March 2013