“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 91 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Herefordshire
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We weren't sure where the hostel would be as we needed one with a car park so we thought we'd be on the outskirts somewhere. However, we were 5 minutes from Temple Bar and 10 minutes from the Guiness factory - a PERFECT location! Free parking was great as we'd hired a car. We shared a mixed dorm (4 of us girls together) in a room with 3 other girls and 1 boy. The girls seemed lovely but we were a little suspicious of the boy. We bought a padlock for cages under the bed to place valuables in. Padlock was 7 euros deposit and get 5 euros back when returning it. 2 euros is a small price to pay for peace of mind! Staff were very helpful and advised us to park the car outside the front on the Sunday as it's free and they could keep an eye on it on their CCTV.

Great budget stay with fab location!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Its a well located large hostel, about 10 minutes walk from Temple Bar in a reasonably quiet neighborhood. The staff are excellent and there was a free barbecue night organized on of the nights I had stayed. The rooms are large with a lot of beds so there's almost always somebody in the room. The kitchen and dining are large with enough space for everyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I couldn't fault the staff at reception, they were very friendly and helpful. We knew the city well but needed somewhere to crash for the night due to previous plans falling through. I would definitely try harder to find an alternative hostel in Dublin in future.

While the hostel itself felt safe, from what I can remember an all female dorm cost more than a mixed one, it was only a matter of a couple of euros, but upon reflection, this doesn't seem just. In order for myself and my friend, also female, to have peace of mind, we had to pay extra? Safety shouldn't come at a cost. I didn't have the spare cash to pay more than had been advertised on the website, so a mixed dorm it was. We were the only 2 girls in a dorm of 8, in a room with large old windows that looked out onto the Liffey. It captured all the sun and the room was stifling as a result, I imagine its cold in the winter. I wasn't tempted in the least to have a shower in the morning, the bathroom felt and looked grubby. The shower stalls had flimsy shower curtains, and with 6 other guys waiting to shower there, I just wanted to leave as rapidly as possible.

The place is in need of major renovation, if it hopes to compete with the far more superior hostels on the continent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This place was exactly what my friends and I were looking for--clean, safe, good location and good price. We definitely got our money's worth with this place. The staff was nice, funny and helpful. They advised us on a lot of activities to do and what places to avoid. One staff member, Cathal, was very helpful--he recommended a great meat pie place near Temple Bar and other more local favorite bars. Speaking of which, this place is located very close to a lot of great places--had no problems walking from there to local sites, including and especially Temple Bar (even though it is a tourist trap).

I stayed in a 10-person room with 2 other friends and they were nice enough to put us in one that was only being used by other people for 2 out of the 5 nights we were staying. It was very clean and nice though there was some noise of construction outside in the mornings. Great way to get yourself up early to go sight-seeing I guess.

One thing--be sure to bring your own locks for storing your luggage because even though they provide under-the-bed cages for luggage, they will charge you to use one of their locks.

Overall great experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Four Courts Hostel for three nights before a Paddy Wagon tour and booked it again for when I returned. I was really looking forward to coming back to this place. The atmosphere is great, the facilities are more than satisfactory. The place is regularly cleaned, the rooms are tidy and spacious, not bunks jammed in like sardines. All the rooms have windows which can open, the ensuite was serviced regularly and the shower was fantastic. The location is amazing for those doing sightseeing and drinking. The hop on - hop off bus goes straight past the hostel, they sell tickets for the bus at the hostel, awesome attractions like the Four Courts of Justice, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublinia and Temple Bar are all easily inside walking distance. The staff went out of their way to be helpful, organising a bed for me when I messed up my booking. The train station is also in walking distance if you're planning on taking trips outside Dublin. I really can't speak highly enough of Four Courts and wish all hostels were at this level. Would go back in a heart beat.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed in 3 hostels in dublin. This one is very good. We stayed in a 8 person dorm. Clean, comfortable rooms. Kitchen is well equipped though there are no condiments left behind by anyone. Bring all you need. Location is great, 5 min walk from temple bar. Free wifi and computers to use the internet. Free international calls. Books and movies for renting, with a few separate common rooms. Staff is always helpful.
Only negative thing i would say is there is no screening on the windows, which let many flies in our room.
Good choice in hostels. Also check kinlay house if there is no room here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was my favourite hostel out of the 8 I stayed in on my recent trip in Europe.
The staff were amazing. Very friendly and always willing to give directions or advice, or to sit and chat if they weren't busy.
The large kitchen and two guest fridges really helped keep food costs down for me! Lots of space to eat and relax. Breakfast was included and more than adequate.
Free Wifi and free computers with internet. Free luggage room. Free guitars that you could borrow to play, as well as a wii.
Rooms were pretty clean, and spacious enough. The shower was clean. Although for some unknown reason, we had a bunch of flies in our room.
The location was great. Easy walking distance to all sorts of attractions, and easy to find when getting into the city.
The only downer was the huge group of very loud and rather rude teenagers who seemed to be on some sort of school excursion. They seemed to feel they could take over the place and order people to vacate dinning tables. But other than that, I really enjoyed my stay and would absolutely reccomend Four Courts!

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Four Courts Hostel? Share your experiences!