“Delicious food, great place” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #97 of 1,808 restaurants in Dublin
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Utilizing the very best of seasonal and foraged local produce, we aim to provide a unique dining experience in Dublin. Our extensive selection of wines from around the world caters for every budget.
Nice, France
“Delicious food, great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This restaurant is a hidden gem, it is a lovely space with food that is really delicious. Lots of care and detail goes into every plate and it is clear that the chef takes pride in every detail of his dish with beautiful presentation and hand picked herbs. A real pleasure to dine her and would highly recommend a visit.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
dublin
“Expensive and a bit disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went there for my birthday. Must say my expectations were very high after the excellent dishes at the taste of dublin last year (2012) and the amazing reviews it got everywhere.
And overall, the experience was unfortunately disappointing.
On the positive side, the service was friendly and good and the menu was interesting. The octopus/squids in my starter were brilliantly cooked.
However, the crab cakes in that starter were extremely dried. Had the bone marrow gnocchi which was one of the special mains. First 2 spoons were nice but dish was so rich in flavour, it was kind of sickening after that. Would have been better as a starter or a small side but not as a main.
My husband was not particularly impressed/nor disapointed by his food at the time and found it not memorable.
The wine was ok but expensive. The selection of entry level wine was poor with very few under 35 euros and then wine price sky rocketing.

Bill was over 150 for just 2 starters, 2 mains and a bottle of wine and couple of sides. We thought the bill was the most memorable part of the experience.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
isabelsdublin, Owner at Isabel's, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your message. I appreciate the feedback and I understand that you genuinely feel aggrieved by what you received in Isabel's. We work very hard to try to ensure that everyone has a nice evening with us which unfortunately was not the case for you. I would just like to address the points you have made.

I have brought the issues you had with 2 of your dishes up with our head chef and he will certainly look into it. The food is checked and tasted regularly by our chef's to ensure their quality, but that's not to say that you didn't receive one's that were not up to scratch and for this I can only apologise.

Regarding our pricing, Isabel’s is not a cheap restaurant. Nor however, is it an overly expensive one either. We currently offer an early bird menu for €23 for 2 courses which runs all night from Monday’s to Thursday’s and on Friday’s and Saturday’s until 7pm. Our a la carte prices range from €4 - €12 for a starter, from €20 - €25 for a main dish (soon to be €18 starting price) and €7 for our desserts.

Generally, our prices are reflective of our labour costs and the cost of our produce. We buy the very best of produce available from the top suppliers. The provenance of our produce is very important to us. Pretty much everything that comes out of our kitchen is made from scratch which makes the food in Isabel’s unique. The oxtail and bone marrow gnocchi that you had as a main course on your evening with us, for example, takes our kitchen 3 days to prepare from start to finish. Many of the garnishes, herbs and sea vegetables we use on our dishes were foraged by our head chef from Wicklow, Wexford and surrounding counties. These factors certainly increase costs on our side and as a consequence the prices we charge.

Regarding our wines, our list is quite large (over 250 different wines in stock) but we do endeavour to accommodate for every budget. Our aim is to give as broad a range of wines as we can. On our current list we have 19 whites below €35 (11 white wines under €30) and 15 red wines at or below €35 per bottle. We do have a number of premium wines and champagnes on our list which carry a premium price both in the off and the on-trade.

I do hope that your first experience with us does not put you off a return visit to us. I would love another chance to make it up to you. Please contact me directly if you would like to try us again. Our number here is 6619000.

Kind regards,

Ian
Dublin, Ireland
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Having read such enthusiastic reviews on Tripadvisor, I was very excited to have dinner here this weekend. Unfortunately, my experience was not up to scratch at all but I hope that it was an isolated incident. Firstly, only two other tables were occupied when we arrived for our reservation and no-one else arrived for dinner when we were there. The actual decor is delightful but the lack of people in the restaurant meant that the atmosphere was non-existent. The service was just not up to scratch. The single waitress, whilst pleasant, seemed more interested in looking at whatever she had underneath the bar than serving and I struggled to catch her eye more than once, despite the restaurant being almost empty. The food was just not on a par with the prices being charged at all. The cheeseboard was so overpriced for three minuscule pieces of cheese. Overall, for the prices charged, I would much rather spend my money and time in a restaurant such as Dax. Similar price range but superb food and service. As I said, I hope it was just an off night but based on my experience, I won't be returning.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Ontario
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We ate at Isabel's on the second night of our visit to Dublin. It was a bit of a walk from our hotel, but it was worth the effort to go there. It's a very popular place, so it's best to make a reservation, even on weeknights. The food and service are great and with the early bird menus, the prices are very close to what we'd pay in Ottawa or Toronto for similar food, service, and atmosphere.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin
“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I live locally and had been meaning to try this place out for lunch. I went in one Monday and was pleasantly surprised. The decor is very wine-barish; and I certainly wouldn't recommend this as a venue for a working lunch or business lunch as all the tables are very close together. Cosy to say the least.

The menu is nice and simple - with a nice soup and gourmet sandwich option. That's what I went for and was very pleased with the quality of food, presentation and value I received.

Service was a bit dis-jointed. There was only one person working on the floor. My colleague and I got the impression that in order to save a few bob the manager had obviously decided to do what they expected to be a quiet lunch on his own - however he seemed a little overwhelmed and the lack of attention took away from the whole experience. Having said that, it didn't put me off and I shall return.

• Visited August 2012