“Ooh La La! The hidden gem that is Isabel's” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #186 of 1,891 Restaurants in Dublin
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Utilizing the very best of seasonal and foraged local produce, we aim to provide a unique dining experience in Dublin. Our extensive selection of wines from around the world caters for every budget.
Dublin
“Ooh La La! The hidden gem that is Isabel's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were 2 girls of a certain age, wanting delicious food, a tincture of wonderful wine and a spot to catch up on news over lunch. The location had to be convenient to both our offices so I remembered Isabel's nestled away in a basement location (corner of Fitzwilliam St/Baggot St and 5 mins walk from St. Stephen's Green). Having had a wonderful lunch once before at Isabel's, I hoped it was not a "one hit wonder". We were shown to our lovely quiet corner table by the charming Frederic who responded to our queries on certain of the dishes with great knowledge and that wonderful French accent which makes everything sound divine. Even more fortunately for us, the dishes that arrived before us lived up to Frederic's description 110%! When we asked about a little adornment on one of the mains which looked like vivid green roe, he obligingly headed to the kitchen and came back with a precise description once more. The lunch menu is reasonably short but do not fear .... better a short menu with exquisite food especially if you are short on time! Of course, the Albarino which we chose to accompany our dishes was a perfect lunchtime wine. The quality of the ingredients used, the creativity applied in the kitchen and the charming professionalism in front of house makes this a venue that will see me returning for lunch and dinner time and time again. One small thing to be aware of ... the mobile credit card device was handed over with the bill totalled but without the option to add a gratuity, so do specify in advance if you wish to add the gratuity to your card payment or make sure to have the cash to cover this out. And by the way, lunch certainly will not break the bank so do be sure to visit for yourself!

Little Rock, Arkansas
“Serendipitous find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

It was my first day on my first visit to Ireland! My husband & I were staying in a B&B on Waterloo Road, selected because of it's proximity to Baggot Street. The sun was shining and we began to wander our way down to see St. Stephen's Green & get our bearings. DH spotted the menu outside of Isabel's & we thought it sounded very ambitious! "Let's see what else we come across." All the way to the Green & wandering back, we looked at every menu & restaurant - shopping for our evening meal. But there was nothing that read better than our first glimpse of Isabel's. We were the first customer's of the evening & I was pleasantly surprised when we entered- Very sophisticated decor of old brick & wine bottles. Our food was excellent! Pork croquettes? They were to die for! And the presentation of the salad on the slate was strikingly beautiful. So much so that I took a picture with my iPhone, which I'm not in a habit of doing! I'll try to post the pix later if I can. We ate there on May 10th and I'm still wishing I could have seconds! My main course was the most tender beef cheek (never even heard of it before!) served with a rich barley-like accompaniment. I'm sorry I don't recall the exact names or ingredients, but trust me, it was delicious! Our service was timed just right & the champagne was cold! They set the bar high for our Ireland vacation & I would return in a minute!!! If you are in Dublin, find this place! I think our 3-course meal was about 25 euros (don't quote me on that).

Hartford, CT
“A Marvelous Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We wandered in off Baggot St,, down the stairs to Isabel's, unprepared for the loveliness of this little pace and even less prepared for the creative, delicious food. Our salads were so whimsically assembled, so different from any salad that they temporarily ruined us for any other salad. The slow cooked pork dish, the addictive breads, the unforgettable lemon dessert. I wouldn't have been surprised to find this place in Paris. I would have been delighted by it there. I'm staggered by it here. (It's not cheap. Consider it one of your special dinners. But it probably won't break you.) I want to go back.

Dublin, Ireland
“Phenomenal!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

A friend recommended Isabel's and we went as a foursome on a Friday night.

It was the best meal I have eaten in six months.

The wine list is good and the food is exceptional, from the daintily pretty presentation of a goat's cheese mousse with samphire and spring vegetables, through the exciting flavour combinations of scallops with nettle risotto and on to the deep rich flavours of oxtail gnocchi - it showed great confidence and expertise and really was a treat!

The staff were friendly and engaging and we felt very welcome.

I was so impressed, I made another booking (this time a table for eight) before we left the restaurant, and we went en masse again last night.

I was apprehensive as to whether it would live up to my expectations the second time around (and indeed the high expectations I had set with my friends) and once again it delivered.

It is great to see somewhere like Isabel's take off and you should get along there while they are "on a roll".

I suppose the best way to describe the experience is to call it very refined fine-dining-style cooking in a casual dining setting.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Tasty food, inadequate portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Ate here recently for our wedding anniversary. The restaurant is small and the tables are tightly packed together which made us uneasy at first but didn't spoil the experience.My starter, a salad, was served on a slate which slid around the glass-topped table banging into the bits of food that had already fallen off the slate. The presentation of this dish needs a rethink. Both our mains, pork shoulder and scallops were tasty. The pork was really no more than 4 mouthfuls with chips (extra €4) to quell the hunger. Desserts were again, tasty but small. We both left hungry, having spent the best part of €150, which shouldn't be the case. The service was good but unengaging.I can't imagine going back again, unfortunately.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere