“A Marvelous Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #211 of 1,969 Restaurants in Dublin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Utilizing the very best of seasonal and foraged local produce, we aim to provide a unique dining experience in Dublin. Our extensive selection of wines from around the world caters for every budget.
Hartford, CT
“A Marvelous Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We wandered in off Baggot St,, down the stairs to Isabel's, unprepared for the loveliness of this little pace and even less prepared for the creative, delicious food. Our salads were so whimsically assembled, so different from any salad that they temporarily ruined us for any other salad. The slow cooked pork dish, the addictive breads, the unforgettable lemon dessert. I wouldn't have been surprised to find this place in Paris. I would have been delighted by it there. I'm staggered by it here. (It's not cheap. Consider it one of your special dinners. But it probably won't break you.) I want to go back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Phenomenal!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

A friend recommended Isabel's and we went as a foursome on a Friday night.

It was the best meal I have eaten in six months.

The wine list is good and the food is exceptional, from the daintily pretty presentation of a goat's cheese mousse with samphire and spring vegetables, through the exciting flavour combinations of scallops with nettle risotto and on to the deep rich flavours of oxtail gnocchi - it showed great confidence and expertise and really was a treat!

The staff were friendly and engaging and we felt very welcome.

I was so impressed, I made another booking (this time a table for eight) before we left the restaurant, and we went en masse again last night.

I was apprehensive as to whether it would live up to my expectations the second time around (and indeed the high expectations I had set with my friends) and once again it delivered.

It is great to see somewhere like Isabel's take off and you should get along there while they are "on a roll".

I suppose the best way to describe the experience is to call it very refined fine-dining-style cooking in a casual dining setting.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Tasty food, inadequate portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Ate here recently for our wedding anniversary. The restaurant is small and the tables are tightly packed together which made us uneasy at first but didn't spoil the experience.My starter, a salad, was served on a slate which slid around the glass-topped table banging into the bits of food that had already fallen off the slate. The presentation of this dish needs a rethink. Both our mains, pork shoulder and scallops were tasty. The pork was really no more than 4 mouthfuls with chips (extra €4) to quell the hunger. Desserts were again, tasty but small. We both left hungry, having spent the best part of €150, which shouldn't be the case. The service was good but unengaging.I can't imagine going back again, unfortunately.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ireland
“A wonderful spot for creative and delicious food with good atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

the menu is small, but Everything is wonderful - food, wine, service- in particular - amazing presentation. It is a cosy and relaxed spot but the food is of a very high standard. A really enjoyable evening was had.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Superb Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Dined on the first day of May and took the owners advice to go with the soft shell crab starter and the ox tail and gnocchi special main - they were both absolutely epic. He also recommended a Gewürztraminer to go with the starter which was superlative and a Malbec with the main that was very nice. Desserts also very good. Faultless - I will be back. Did not pay the bill this time but seemed reasonable although will see that better next. Deserves its high ranking in trip advisor.

Visited May 2013