“Great Hotel in excellent Location” 5 of 5 stars

You added Ballsbridge Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pembroke Road | Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland   |
Ranked #114 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Tipperary, Ireland
“Great Hotel in excellent Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was the second time for my husband and I to stay at this hotel over the past month and the friendliness and helpfulness of staff was beyond my expectations. Having spent the day shopping, I was laden down with parcels when I checked in and the receptionist offered to have my shopping taken to my room. The room was warm, spacious and extremely comfortable with a huge bed and an ample amount of pillows. The bathroom was squeaky clean with plenty of towels and adequate toiletries.

Breakfast next morning left nothing to be desired. There was a great selection on the menu, ranging from fresh fruit, cereals, juices, bacon, sausages, eggs etc. Although very busy, we didn’t have to wait for a table as the staff worked diligently to ensure that we were quickly seated with the minimum of delay.

Dinner that evening was as good as it gets. The carrot soup was delicious and served piping hot and the main meal was beautifully presented followed by a scrumptious desert and coffee.

To finish, I would like to express our sincere thanks to Mr John Clifton and the staff at the hotel for making our stay such a memorable and pleasant one and we are looking forward to staying again in the very near future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Polish first
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights for a short break. About 20 or 30 min walk to city, although number 4 or 7 buses are a regular service and take you to city in minutes for less than 2 euro. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised with the reception and foyer. We went up to our room on the 7th floor. Room was basic, but had everything we expected. We got into bed, the mattress was rock solid, not at all comfy, we asked for extra pillows too as these were flat as a pancake. The next morning was an early rise for some sightseeing - OH NO - the shower wasn't working. Went down to reception and asked to be moved so we could shower and get out into the city. We were moved after a bit of attitude from the receptionist. The 2nd room was ROASTING, but the shower worked!! Had a quick shower, made sure the heat was off, left window open then went out for the day. Returned to hotel, went to the Dubliner bar at the hotel. Ordered a cheese board, waited around 30 mins, asked twice when we would get it. After 50 mins asked them to cancel our order and we would go without. It was very busy, so these things sometimes can't be avoided. There was a band playing who were excellent though, and the waiting and bar staff were lovely. Off we went up to our (second) room. The heat was unbearable!! The bathroom floor was so hot you couldnt stand on parts of it. Called reception, she said turn off the heat - advised her the heat had been off all day and window open, tried to explain heat was coming from floor. She said there's nothing they can do. This was all a but much for me at bed time! Reluctantly she sent a porter to our room. Once in the room he said himself the heat wasn't bearable and he called the hotel manager. The manager was lovely and apologised for the issues and upgraded us to a larger room with king size bed. This room was fine, and not a million degrees. The porter and manager were really excellent and saved our stay by offering that gesture.
We would stay here again, only if we werent paying above the odds. It is an old hotel, and the decor is reflected in this.

• Stayed November 2012
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear missewok

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry you had issues during your stay with us but I'm glad our management team organised an upgrade for you. Our maintenance team are looking into the heating problems you described so we can get this resolved immediately.

Dronfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Ballsbridge Hotel offers a very friendly and helpful service, the rooms are very clean, comfortable beds, TV in the room and tea- making facilities. I understand that refurbishment has started and this may be a good thing, although our room was all of the above, the decor and furniture were a tad tired, and the hair-dryer was broken (good job I'd taken my own!).

However, the Ballsbridge Hotel isn't to be ignored, the staff are so helpful and friendly. Everywhere was very clean, and the beds were warm and comfy, and as we were only using the room at night - that was all that we wanted.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Highland Park, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel is not good. The rooms are in poor upkeep, the mattresses are like sleeping on the floor, the location (for a tourist) is horrible and to top it off our room was next to the elevator and we heard the mechanics going all night.

The staff is friendly enough but not very knowledgeable. When we first arrived we explained that we were on a tight schedule that day and needed to get our first tourist sight (on the opposite side of town) quickly in order to fit in everything we wanted to do. No matter how many times we explained what we wanted, the front desk kept insisting we could take a bus and then walk to our destination. Luckily we didn't listen to her and took a cab. If we had done it her way we wouldn't have even made it to our first stop. She kept insisting that we walk so that we could shop along the way. hmmm wonder what her motivation was?

On a positive note, when we complained of the elevator noise they moved us without any fuss.

We were happily surprised to find that breakfast was included with our room. A full Irish buffet breakfast was filling and adequate.

Parking however was NOT included. 12 Euros per night.

Finally a note on the location. This is pretty far out of town and doesn't have a convenient bus for tourism. It is located near the embassies though.

Room Tip: Do NOT accept a room next to the elevator! You will hear it going up and down all night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Hipmicks

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm disappointed you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I assure you I have spoken to the accommodation manager about your complaint. If you would like to talk to me directly though my email is jclifton@ballsbridgehotel.com

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for Dublin City Marathon - perfect location 10 mins walk to RDS for expo & start line on the morning of marathon.
Check in was quick & girls on reception were friendly & helpful - rooms fine no complaints !!
But here is the problem with this hotel - The Bar !!
3/4 bar staff behind counter serving drinks then maybe 3 of them disappear for 15/20 mins (break time maybe ??) right in the middle of busy service - I would say 7 o clock ish - eventually got served a drink - & then the fun begins .
As i said already this was a busy time in the evening -tables were hard to find- when we eventually got a table we were sitting waiting to get menus for at least 30 mins -
On 2 occasions we asked different waiters to take our orders & they looked at us as if we were asking for something impossible - or got the attitude "this is not my job"
Food eventually did arrive & was fine - pasta specials can't complain basic but that's all we wanted .
As I said it was a busy evening service but what I observed was total chaos - there was zero organisation, everybody was running around like headless chickens & there didn't seem to be any one in charge.
So basically hotel is in a great location - but the bar & waiting staff let it down -
I would stay here again but wouldn't be in a rush to have food or drink there .
On another note well done on the breakfast early opening hours - that was a great idea and credit where credit is due

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Loughgalwood

My sincere apologies about your experience at our hotel bar. Some of our staff are relatively new and so we have arranged for some further training to prevent this service issue from occuring again.

I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel and the breakfast though and I hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We didnt stay in the hotel, but rather we had been at an event in the hotel for an event and went for food in the bar of the hotel. I have to say that it was arguably one of the worst meals I've ever had.

We ordered 2 burgers and chips.
It took over an hour for the order to come and when it did it was incorrect, one meal, partially wrong, the other entirely wrong. The waitress came over to 'double check' the order and basically implied that we were lying about what we ordered.
No one came any where near us to see if we were okay, if we wanted more drinks (seeing as how we'd now been sitting for an hour and a half, with our drinks long since drunk). 30 minutes after the initial wrong order was brought, I asked a waitress if there was any sign on our food. She vanished, without a word or apology for the further delay, and arrived back with 2 burgers.

Meal 1: the burger was burnt to a crisp, and was clearly the burger patty that had been brought with the original meal 30 minutes before that had been put on the grill again, it was dry, and blackened. The lettuce and cheese were now greasy and congealed, and the 'crispy onions' were now soft and really rather disgusting. The chips were completely raw and inedible.

Meal 2: The burger was not properly cooked, the meat inside was still red, and since that is unsafe in a burger it was left. The chips again were not cooked.

I tried to get the attention of the staff after we discovered the state of the meal and were ignored. We gave up, I went up to pay and voiced my complaint, they gave me a cup of coffee for my trouble but I was far from pleased, since they charged me over 32euro for food which was entirely inedible and a wasted hour and a half.

In the end the meal was left and we went to the chip shop down the road and got a take out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Dantes-Infernals

My sincere apologies about your experience at our hotel bar. I have spoken to our management team in relation to your comments and there has been some further training provided to bar staff to prevent this service issue from occuring again. The kitchen was also made aware of your feedback in relation to food quality, which is most unusual and I can assure you will not happen again.

If you would like to speak to me directly please contact me at jclifton@ballsbridgehotel.com. I do hope you will visit us again in future.

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ballsbridge Hotel this Sunday night as I was competing in the Dublin City Marathon the following day. I booked directly with the hotel a few months ago and paid €99 for B&B and free parking. Considering the parking is something like €20 per day, I felt this was an excellent rate. Also, a lot of nearby hotels had jacked up their prices due to the marathon and the bank holiday weekend, so I felt the price was very good value.

Location: As the name suggests, this hotel is situated in Ballsbridge, a very attractive, leafy part of Dublin. It is very well situated for the RDS and Aviva stadium (both less than 5 minutes walk. It is also convenient to the the National Museum, National Gallery and the St Stephen’s Green/Grafton Street area, all of which are a pleasant 10-15 minute walk away. The location is nice, in that it is close to all amenities, but far enough away from the city centre to be quiet and peaceful. We found it an excellent choice for the marathon, as the start and finish lines were about 10 minutes walk.

Room: The rooms are ok, I would think they are pretty standard for a three star hotel. The window in our room would not stay closed, which left it a little cold. The bathroom door was very hard to open, I thought I was stuck in the bathroom a couple of times! Overall, the room could have done with a bit of a spruce up, but it was comfortable and came equipped with tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was comfortable, but the only plug beside the bed was actually behind it, which seems like a strange place to put a plug. Meant we had to pull out the bed to plug in our phone to charge! The toiletries were of the large bottle variety which was refilled rather than small individual bottles.

Breakfast: There was a wide choice at breakfast, but overall I would say the quality was poor. I only had porridge due to the marathon, and it was horrible! Hard to know how you can get porridge wrong! My husband had the full Irish and he said the quality of ingredients was poor. I have to say the staff at breakfast were lovely though and they started serving breakfast at 5.30 on the morning of the marathon to help the runners which I thought was a nice touch.

Reception/other: Our check in was quick and painless, on check out, we were given a blank parking ticket, which meant we could leave the car parked there for the rest of the day. This was a real bonus as it meant we could leave the car there until after the marathon and weren’t charged. We tried to eat in the bar area in the evening, but when we arrived at 8pm, we were told that due to an influx of students, they were closing the kitchen for 30-45 minutes! This seemed strange to me, surely they knew how many people they had staying there and could staff accordingly! This meant we had to hit the streets looking for food, which was a bit of a pain as I was keen to rest up for the marathon. I have read about the number of students staying here in other reviews and they were very noisy running up and down the halls, slamming doors etc. Thankfully, they quietened down by night time so we were able to get a good nights sleep.

Overall: All in all, we had a pleasant stay here, the rooms could do with a bit of a spruce up, the breakfast wasn’t great and the bar was a bit chaotic, but the staff were pleasant and the location and price were good. The free parking is especially good in an expensive city like Dublin. I think I would stay there again if the price were right.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ballsbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!