“comfort and value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ballsbridge Hotel

You added Ballsbridge Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pembroke Road | Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland   |
Ranked #116 of 176 Hotels in Dublin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Booked this hotel for the Lady Gaga concert at the Aviva Stadium - for myself (50+!!!)and 15 year old son. We arrived on the 6.30 Ryanair flight from Edinburgh - i had phoned the previous day to see what the chances of an early check in were and spoke to a very pleasant young lady who assured me she would see if she could get me one , but that the hotel was very busy that weekend.Arrived at hotel around 9 and spoke to the same lovely girl I had spoken to the previous day - she told me to come back at 11 and she would see what she could do - but offered us the use of the luggage room until then.Enjoyed a lovely cup of coffee (table service ) in lobby then went for a wander to the Aviva. Time to say Dublin NEVER disappoints - made to feel so welcome by staff at the Aviva, The Garda around the stadium etc. Returned to hotel around 10 45 and a member of staff at reception came over and asked if we had requested early check in - got booked in and were off to our room where we had a chance to sleep and prepare for the show!!! The rooms themselves are disappointing - clean , but shabby ,cracked washbasin in bathroom(Rm503), no extractor fan, no 'folder' to tell us what facilities the hotel offered eg if room service available, odd energy saving light bulbs 'poking 'out of ceiling , cigarette burn in net curtain etc.. Had to phone reception to determine if , and what we had to pay for wifi(7.50 euro for 24 hrs). DEFINITELY needs a lick of paint!Having said that we had a GREAT weekend - hotel food excellent and well priced, service EXCELLENT in main hotel (Dubliner Bar understaffed) and buffet breakfast good value at 10 euro pp.This hotel is ideal for rugby/concert weekends at Aviva. Rooms large and comfortable for purpose - reception staff excellent. Paid £120 for 2 for one night without breakfast therefore would like to see rooms upgraded to match price - but for the early checkin and chance to recharge batteries - can't really complain!!!

Room Tip: Room 503 is away from the lifts at the end of a corridor so although hotel was busy it was reasonabl...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear feebak

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay at Ballsbridge Hotel. We appreciate all customer feedback. I'm delighted you found our service and our food excellent and that you found Dublin overall to be a welcoming city. I have taken on board your comments on your room and I am happy to let you know that there are bedroom refurbishments planned for the future. I do hope you will come and stay with us again some time soon.

Warm wishes
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at the Ballsbridge Hotel for the Lady Gaga concert in September. The hotel is less than 5 minute walk to the stadium so the location is excellent. The hotel also has a secure car park which costs 10.50euros for 24 hours. We ate in the restaurant before the concert and they had a fast track menu to facilitate the concert go-ers. We had 2 courses served within 30 mins costing 19 euros each. The menu had plenty of choice and the food was fine. The room was big and ample for what we wanted for the one night. The hotel also has a pub called the Dubliner attached to it and it was buzzing when we got back from the concert with live music. The hotel also had a Lady Gaga tribute band in their sister hotel located next door to them. Entry was free but the tribute band was terrible. We stayed for a short time and went back to the Dubliner. Overall this hotel for convenient for what we wanted it for and the service and room were sufficient. We would stay here again if going to a concert in the Aviva or the RDS.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from Friday 14th to Sunday 16th September in room 343.
The bathroom was awful. The shower was full of mould and the shower head has really seen better days. The water was bearly tepid warm.
The bedroom was a decent size and the bed was ok. There was no heating in the room. It was very cold both nights when we got back to the hotel. The curtains on the windows looked like they haven't been washed in many a year.
On Saturday morning the house keeping lady came into our room at 9am, 9.30am at this point we put the "Do not distrube" sign on the door however this meant nothing to house keeping as they came in again at 10am, 10.30am & 11am. After all that the room was even cleaned properly.
Sunday morning the house keeping staff repeated their constant entering our room. It was so bad that we checked out at 10.30am.
I really don't think I will ever stay in this hotel again. It was such a let down.
The bar staff were less than polite. I observed a bar man handle a lemon and put it into a bottle of beer.

Room Tip: i would stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mcdireland

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and my apologies that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I have raised your issues with our accommodation manager and again I would like to apologise personally for the housekeeping disturbance. If you would like to speak to me further about your stay please don't hesitate to contact me on jclifton@ballsbridgehotel.com.

Kind regards
Kingston-upon-Hull. Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Four of us stayed at the hotel for 5 days, and all in all I can say it was a very enjoyable stay. When we walked in to reception it has a very grand air about it, and despite what I have read on here the staff were very helpful and pleasant. Our bedroom was very big with two double beds, a large wardrobe, a nice bathroom and pleasant view, overlooking a tree lined avenue and the Aviva Stadium. The hotel bar was very comfortable although at times did seem a little under staffed.
The food in the Hotel was very nice, from an all you can eat buffet style breakfast, to a choice of three meals on an evening. The only downside to it seemed to be the amount of student trips that were staying and they could be a little bit noisy especially after midnight, but other than that everything was fine and it is well worth a stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Limerick, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Booked this hotel because of it's location next to the Aviva Stadium, I had never stayed here before, I was so looking forward to going to the concert. We booked in, we decided to book a tabel as the bar had NO bar food available???. We even asked why, there was no explaination given for this. We booked the restaurant for 5,30. we went toour room and first thing check it out. all was not what it seemed, the toilet bowl had "skid marks" on the bottom of it. DISGUSTING! There were no ceiling lights only lamps. The cutains were too short when closed the light from outside was coming through. If you pulled them together both sides let light through.The bathroom had no extractor fan working, the mirror was cracked the b/room was really old and shabby not good at all.
We went to the restaurant for 5,15, we had to queue for our table that was booked, I finally got the attention of one of the waiters(non irish), he was all flustered, didn't know if he was coming or going at this stage I should have known it was not going to be GOOD!. We finally got seated and from then on it was downwards for us. We had to ask 3 times for a menu, we got that then had to ask 4 times to get someone to take the order from us. There were 6/7 staff flying around doing NOTHING, we were waiting from 5,20 to 6,30 without any food or drink?? we had arranged to meet friends in the bar, my friend travelling with me, went out to see them regularly to applogise for the delay in coming out to them, he then noticed that they started to put food out in the bar area????. I finally got my soup, on the Menu it said TOMATO and BASIL, which I did not get it was some veg puree, no brown soda with this either. We then had to wait another half hour we called numerous staff, some had NO English what so ever We tried to explain we had ordered at such and such a time and the soup was wrong and no bread, she said I don't understand will you get some one else or something of that description. We were approached by 3 different staff to ask what we had ordered we told them what we ordered, they then came back said they lost or ticket?? We don't believe this as we had asked for special orders not to have certain things on the main courses and when the took the orders again we never told them that we had special orders we were waiting so long and so hungry and annoyed and our friends at this stage didn't even get to chat with us? we just ordered what was on the menus. So when we finally got out food it was to our orignal specfication on the orignal docket. We were offered a free drink! which did not suffice. We got some desert called "ETON MESS" which has meringue in well it didn't it was like baby food with some strawberries and vanilla cream of some sort. We ordered the desert the same time as the main course came cause we didn't want to be waiting.
Over all the whole experience was total nightmare.
One good thing was we enjoyed the concert.
I won't ever be staying here again.

Room Tip: No tips for any good rooms, very bad. Out dated they say they are renovating but I can't really...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear jlyn1974

My sincere apologies for your recent experience at our hotel and I assure you I have highlighted your issues with the relevant managers. If you would like to speak to me directly you can contact me at jclifton@ballsbridgehotel.com.

Kind regards
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Room was lovely and spacious. Bed very big and compfy!

Only downfall was the breakfast. it was terrible. Cheap meat and could not eat it, location very good as were going to the RTE studio so just jumped in a taxi that cost for €10. I would stay here again but probably have breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Ballsbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!